Kanan Jaruus Lightsaber

It doesn't bother me. Electronics seem to be the rage these days and I don't see the harm in asking.

For what it's worth, most of the pieces are hollow to an extent. If it has to be printed, it's much cheaper being hollow and the thinner the cheaper. I wanna say i shot for 1/8" or so thickness - maybe a bit more. The rest would be hollow. I may need to hollow out the pommel though :)

the easiest way to make it two parts is to stick magnets in the emitter and base hilt which would make it much harder to stick electronics in unless you can source tubular shaped magnets.

I've got 1/2" magnets here that are like 10lbs strong. Suckers are hard to get apart...figured that'd work well :)

Instead of magnets, you could use 2.1 mm jacks, run the male end from the top emitter with the LED in there, and then have the female end in the hilt itself. Then, cutting a small channel with a bearing or pin to rotate it into a locked position would allow it to attach and hold pretty well.

Instead of magnets, you could use 2.1 mm jacks, run the male end from the top emitter with the LED in there, and then have the female end in the hilt itself. Then, cutting a small channel with a bearing or pin to rotate it into a locked position would allow it to attach and hold pretty well.

exactly. i was digging through old threads and saw a way they made mauls double bladed saber and how it turned itself inwards locking it in. as for electrical connections the R2 builders have used magnetic trailer plugs for easy quick disconnects for the dome. could possibly work that into the saber as well

heres a idea of the plug, you could probably cut it up to fit inside this saber somehow

ez-connector.gif

It doesn't bother me. Electronics seem to be the rage these days and I don't see the harm in asking.

For what it's worth, most of the pieces are hollow to an extent. If it has to be printed, it's much cheaper being hollow and the thinner the cheaper. I wanna say i shot for 1/8" or so thickness - maybe a bit more. The rest would be hollow. I may need to hollow out the pommel though :)

the easiest way to make it two parts is to stick magnets in the emitter and base hilt which would make it much harder to stick electronics in unless you can source tubular shaped magnets.

I've got 1/2" magnets here that are like 10lbs strong. Suckers are hard to get apart...figured that'd work well :)
Great Idea man!
There is actually a video on youtube of a guy that did exactly that, look it up if you want to see how it would sort of be like.

For those who are interested in just having the parts printed as-is, any idea of the total hours it'll take to print?

As I look for someone to print it for me once it comes available, most seem to charge by the hour. Just trying to get an idea.

No clue timewise.

I know it's longer and has more volume than a ******* maul saber i've uploaded to shapeways. I think i hollowed that more or less down to 1/8 to 3/16" shell and they're looking at 136 for a print of that.

So, if i upped this to shapeways i'd be hoping to beat 140 as a price point by rebuilding it as close to the mark as possible.

Any news or update? Certainly prefer a machined version over a 3D printed version.

I think that guys from Force Relics did a run a couple of years go. It would be really good to see a comparison. I recall that they went with a 1 inch blade and made them duelable. They also had a version where the emitter came off and another where it didn't. It was a limited run so fairly rare.

Any news or update? Certainly prefer a machined version over a 3D printed version.

I think that guys from Force Relics did a run a couple of years go. It would be really good to see a comparison. I recall that they went with a 1 inch blade and made them duelable. They also had a version where the emitter came off and another where it didn't. It was a limited run so fairly rare.

they did, but it was 1 piece without the removable emitter.. this is what i love about this model, the emitter is removable like in the show. I'm dying for someone to do a aluminum version of this. heck if someone does a 3d print with a removable top id probably grab that as well. a functioning Kanan saber is on the top of my list. Cboath did a amazing job bringing this to life

There are hollow pieces in this one, but it is not optimized for 3D printing by any stretch.

I think on the plus side that there's a fair bit of room to tweak this for printing purposes, but, at a guess, it'd probably be somewhere between 100-125 printed. Outside chance it could be less, but since i've not tried yet, i really don't know how thin i can get it.

If anyone wants to do the aluminum version just let me know. I'll ask the first person that showed interest.. I'm not turning THIS into an interest thread, but i think 5-7 people have expressed interest so far. So, it's a start.

I had someone interested in maybe doing a run, but i haven't heard anything in a while now.. I can put it on shapeways...that's about all I can offer at this point unless someone wants to do the run.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back