Moebius Models 1/4105 Battlestar Pegasus

JMar

It took two false starts, but third time is a charm!

I've got some photo's I still need to post. In the meantime, here's a look at the first video build log: https://youtu.be/lt0EJJBdpc4

%2BPegasus%2Bpt1.jpg

As promised, here are some of the build up photos to supplement the video series.

IMG_6135.jpg

A look at all the pieces, after the excess plastic has been removed to allow for the Photo Etch parts.

IMG_6138.jpg

I use micro mask to keep the seams clean to make sure I could achieve a good glue bond.

IMG_6139.jpg

I did the same for the 'decks'

IMG_6140.jpg

Once that was done I applied the new base colour (Tamiya Metallic Gray).

The Landing strip decals (from JT Graphics) are also visible.

IMG_6144.jpg

The upper landing bay strip LED layout

IMG_6149.jpg

Good light coverage once assembled

IMG_6147.jpg

The ambient light transmits well through the hull opening I drilled

I added fiber optic lighting for the flight pod approach lights.

IMG_6152.jpg

I used 3mm coloured LED's (green/red).

The LED's were placed inside a 1/8th inch (ID) styrene tube and locked in place with heat shrink tube.

IMG_6154.jpg

The fiber optic strands were .5mm and were secured inside the styrene tube with 5 minute, 2 part epoxy

IMG_6156.jpg

If I were to do this build again I'd use a mich higher resistor value. The light is good but is too bright to be 'in scale'

IMG_6158.jpg

IMG_6163.jpg

IMG_6164.jpg

IMG_6165.jpg

Part 2: https://youtu.be/0trUyVzJm5s

This video focuses exclusively on the Battlestar Pegasus engine pods.

The Battlestar Pegasus engine pods weren't over complex to modify for LED lighting. Two of the three mounting pegs had to be removed. I also had to drill some .55mm holes for the fiber optic strands and remove some plastic to make an opening for the rectangular light source on each engine pod.

The engines on the Battlestar Pegasus, as they appeared on the series, had a very washed out blue hue to them. Almost white. To achieve a similar look I painted the tip of the rear facing 3mm LED with Tamiya transparent blue.

This coupled with the excess light spill from the LED used for the Fiber Opting Lighting created a nice white the light blue effect in the center opening of each engine pod.

The fiber optic lighting was achieved by using 6 strands and one cool white, 3mm, LED. The LED was inserted into a 1/8 inside diameter section of styrene tube. Heat shrink tubing was used to hold the LED in place. The fiber optic strands were inserted into the other end and secured with 2 part, 5 minute epoxy.

I hope you enjoyed today's video detailing the modifications to the Battlestar Pegasus engine pods to allow for the addition LED lighting and fiber-optic lighting.

%2BPegasus%2Bpt2.jpg

Part 3: https://youtu.be/hsE4LMNd9fQ

This video continues the work started in Part 1 to complete the Battlestar Pegasus flight pods.

Most of the photo etch work was completed in Part 1. All that remained was to assemble the flight pods and add the Exterior Photo Etch details.

To add the exterior photo etch required some minor modifications. The molded 'PEGAUS' registry had to be removed to allow for the more accurate paragrafix registry piece.

To add the flight pod arm detail required sanding of the leading and trailing surfaces as they have a slight 'bulge' to them. Without sanding them smooth the photo etch pieces would not fit correctly...or would get distorted if they were forced.

Before final assembly the LED tape had to be added, as well as the fiber optic strands to allow for landing light illumination.

The Paragrafix landing bay photoetch is engineered to allow for LED tape to be placed above it in the flight pods. I used 2 strips in the upped flight pod and 1 strip in the lower.

I also ran the strand for the fiber optic lighting using low temperature hot glue.

I hope you enjoyed today's video detailing the Moebius Models 1/4105 Battlestar Pegasus flight pod LED and fiber optic lighting.

%2BPegasus%2Bpt3.jpg

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back