Anovos ESB Snowtrooper- Video Review 1st post

tubachris85x

Master Member
EDIT: Long winded review video here. Might try and re-work this. Software I used decided to repeat parts of the video, and other issues..

Not sure many will really *care* for the snowtrooper but I wanted to bring this up as it's posing an interesting "conflict" within me and possibly others who've taken notice.

Originally, the prototype suit was a MonCal snowtrooper set. However, it was brought to light the other day that they decided to invest more into the production, scrapping Cal's stuff in favor of using the 3D scans of what I call the "Tour suit"; the nearly 100% complete snowtrooper costume that you see in almost every major star wars exhibit, seen below:

where-science-meets-imagination-snow-trooper-x2000.jpg

The collector in me is most certainly peaked in interest for a few reasons

Imperial_Snowtrooper_01.jpg

I was concerned that maybe they had still used some of Cal's parts but I can definitely say that the helmet, chest, shoulders are from the scans of the Tour Suit.

The conflict is not so much regarding the armor, as the snowtrooper costume has never had anything replicas that originate from an original source. Now, well, indirectly we will have this (whenever it does come out)

Now...you're probably seeing what the issue is. The helmet.

You can see that they captured the look of the Tour Suit helmet nearly identically, but with some slight modifications to undo some of the warping.

This is the conflict

As a collector (I did pre-order this strictly as a collectors piece before the changes were made), I find it valuable to have a replica scanned off the Tour Suit replica.

However, from a costumer's stand point...it doesn't look nearly as well formed as it did from during filming:

COTV57OWIAAuMoa.jpg

Here's the Auction Helmet (or "wampa attack" helmet)

12137739_1_l.jpg

This helmet clearly was in much better physical shape than the Tour Suit. This is more likely due to the constant handling and movement over the years, which I believe that the Auction Helmet did not endure.

Unfortunately, at least to my knowledge, these are the only 2 "surviving" helmets, the Auction Helmet hasn't been seen since 2012 and god know's where. Anovos had access to the Tour suit, so I can't fault them for that.

new anovos snowtrooper helmet compare.png

I certainly feel that the eyes/goggle portion is pretty accurate on the Anovos. It's nose bridge is too round along the bottom though (where it meets the cowl, it should be straight across, with clear bends on each side). I do feel if one were to modify it, the goggles could be salvaged or the entire thing could be re-worked around that

So my question, is what do you guys feel about it?

Attachments

• Imperial_Snowtrooper_01.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 1,169
  • where-science-meets-imagination-snow-trooper-x2000.jpg
    282.5 KB · Views: 120
    282.5 KB · Views: 122
    282.5 KB · Views: 76
    282.5 KB · Views: 1,596
  • 12137739_1_l.jpg
    12137739_1_l.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 200
  • 12137739_1_l.jpg
    12137739_1_l.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 137
  • 12137739_1_l.jpg
    12137739_1_l.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 164
  • 12137739_1_l.jpg
    12137739_1_l.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 416
  • COTV57OWIAAuMoa.jpg
    COTV57OWIAAuMoa.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 197
  • COTV57OWIAAuMoa.jpg
    COTV57OWIAAuMoa.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 219
  • COTV57OWIAAuMoa.jpg
    COTV57OWIAAuMoa.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 211
    142.1 KB · Views: 177
    142.1 KB · Views: 187
  • COTV57OWIAAuMoa.jpg
    COTV57OWIAAuMoa.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 234
    142.1 KB · Views: 148
Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Anovos ESB Snowtrooper- Changed from original prototype

I'm not sure I understand your conflict?
The ANOVOS Snowtrooper is the only thing you can find with lineage to the only example LFL has left and you value that. But you dont like that the helmet has had some of the warpage corrected while still remaining true to the original shape?
Would you prefer a symmetrical helmet or a helmet with all the warpage?

I'm not sure I understand your conflict?
The ANOVOS Snowtrooper is the only thing you can find with lineage to the only example LFL has left and you value that. But you dont like that the helmet has had some of the warpage corrected while still remaining true to the original shape?
Would you prefer a symmetrical helmet or a helmet with all the warpage?

Yes, it has lineage, and I value that. The conflict is that while they did do some "clean up" to the helmet, the biggest flaw, I can see, is the dome shape. It's too bulbus. I should have specifically mentioned that part before. Looking at the anovos, the sides where it meets the hard-plastic wrap around (the shroud), appears to bend inward by the time it reaches the brow-trim.

Compare that to the Auction Helmet, and you can see it's night and day

The ANOVOS dome looks like it matches the "Tour helmet" that was scanned. I suppose ideally the "Auction helmet" would have made a nicer replica had it been available to scan. Is that more or less your point?

I´d prefer "exhibition helmet" or "exhibit helmet" or "LFL Archive helmet" or "... suit" to "Tour suit".

A "Tour suit" is usually a suit that was either made for or used in promotional activities, which has not been done with Snowtrooper armour.

The ANOVOS dome looks like it matches the "Tour helmet" that was scanned. I suppose ideally the "Auction helmet" would have made a nicer replica had it been available to scan. Is that more or less your point?

Yes...but given they didn't have access the question is if they should have focused on how it appears in film VS how this one helmet appears after about 30 years of traveling

I suppose it's a very fine line. As you yourself pointed out, some of the major warpage Was removed in an effort to restore it to its original state. Without access to another original example it must be difficult to tell what might need correction; especially in an area like that where two pieces are glued together. For all we know their prototype helmet was just slightly warped from the gluing process.
I personally think it's a very minor complaint but a valid observation.

If you haven't been paying attention to Anovos, they specifically list all their marketing images as "Prototype depicted. Subject to change."

The OT TK helmet changed significantly, IMO, and the Darth Vader helmet may change as well. At this point, if you're collecting and you're looking for lineage, Anovos isn't the place to buy.

You might want to try this...

http://www.rspropmasters.com/product/complete-snowtrooper-commission/

RS Snowtrooper is not the best out there either...

If you haven't been paying attention to Anovos, they specifically list all their marketing images as "Prototype depicted. Subject to change."

The OT TK helmet changed significantly, IMO, and the Darth Vader helmet may change as well. At this point, if you're collecting and you're looking for lineage, Anovos isn't the place to buy.

You might want to try this...

http://www.rspropmasters.com/product/complete-snowtrooper-commission/

Currently the most "movie accurate" armor is between Troopermasterand Dan Laws; TM focused on the hard details, no surprise, such as the warps and minute wonky aspects as well as the accurate hardware for assembly where as Laws has improved his sculpts over the years, showing a more "refined" symmetrical version of armor.

RS props is a decent set, but they're more geared toward smaller individuals. They revised their helmet a few years ago per suggestions though.

As far as their descriptions, I'm well aware. I've been discussing the snowtrooper specifically with an Anovos rep since they first announced it. The same text was pretty much there as well. and the prototype they depicted originally was going to be used as a base which they'd have altered to improve accuracy

Last edited:

Yes...but given they didn't have access the question is if they should have focused on how it appears in film VS how this one helmet appears after about 30 years of traveling

I'd say they should be targeting the one in the film, not the 'exhibition suit' ( :) )

The super nitpicky folks out there (i.e. the rpf :) ) isn't the the main target audience. The majority of people looking will be comparing to ESB not the 'exhibition suit'. When you go to those things, it's amazing to me how many people marvel at the suits and props and how few are actually taking detailed photos.

If you want the warping back in it, You can always try and re-warp it yourself I suppose.

RS Snowtrooper is not the best out there either...

Didn't say it was - just saying it's probably a better option than Anovos, considering they tend to change the final product compared to their "prototype photos".

For me the helmet can make or break a set of armour or a suit, the Anovos snowtrooper is way of from the photos ive seen, even though they scanned it from a tour suit and has linage it misses the mark.

From the pictures, RS looks the best to me. Perhaps their soft parts and weathering is what sells it!

What exactly is the point or purpose of this thread? ANOVOS isn't going to change anything to specifically target a few people's dissatisfaction nor are they even going to bring the suit to market to ship. ANOVOS sells pre sale orders......very act of ordering the stuff is all is seems they're selling and not the actual product. Do some quick research and count the pre sale products vs products shipped in relation to time passed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

What exactly is the point or purpose of this thread? ANOVOS isn't going to change anything to specifically target a few people's dissatisfaction nor are they even going to bring the suit to market to ship. ANOVOS sells pre sale orders......very act of ordering the stuff is all is seems they're selling and not the actual product. Do some quick research and count the pre sale products vs products shipped in relation to time passed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

So what's the real purpose of any thread on the RPF by this logic? To debate and discuss frivolous details about inanimate objects used in film? What is exactly the point of that and how does it impact our daily lives in a meaningful way, outside the few who make a living on producing said inanimate objects for other to criticize and praise for being a "better inanimate object then an another's because I say so"?

Just a thought (and note that I haven't studied Snowtroopers much), but might the difference in appearance of the dome come down to assembly of the individual helmets? We all know that there were tremendous variations between Stormtroopers, seems quite possible that the same would happen here. I'm not familiar with how these were pulled, is the dome one piece with the cowl a separate pull?

Just a thought (and note that I haven't studied Snowtroopers much), but might the difference in appearance of the dome come down to assembly of the individual helmets? We all know that there were tremendous variations between Stormtroopers, seems quite possible that the same would happen here. I'm not familiar with how these were pulled, is the dome one piece with the cowl a separate pull?

While I have no doubt there were variations between helmets due to construction alone (as is anything assembled by hand, even machine) the amount of warping present, based on my reference I've studied, is significant compared to how it's viewed in film and promo/behind the scenes shots

5813W-1000x1000.jpg

Vader1.jpg

kurtzanddiamondesb.jpg

darth-vader-and-snow-troopers.jpg

EP5_IA_1062_9594267a.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

As you can see, the construction appears pretty consistant, so significant warping seen on the "Tour" suit is not inherent

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back