ROTLA Idol pedestal build

doppelganger

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Well heres my pedestal. Well this is how it started anyway.

20160615_125328.png

I started out with sheets of polystyrene which i got free because they were damaged, hence the jagged nature to the stack. I glued 5 together in 3 tiers to make it easier to manage. I got a metre length of studding to enable me to put them on a spit. And made a rather large hotwire cutter.

20160620_113732.png

The hotwire worked exceptionally well (I can give details on the hotwire build if anyone wants them). The pedestal isnt as wide as I would like but but hey.... it was free.

20160620_125544.png

Pattern added and ready to cut out. Just gonna use a soldering iron to melt it into the side. And then it'll be ready for painting.... then it'll be time for the booby trap!

20160620_132312.png

The foam was free. The hotwire setup cost £27 with transformer, nichrome wire and 28amp wire fromctransformer to cutting wire. And yeah. Slide the wire into the foam on the edge and rotate the foam like a spitroast hog.

Well here is the final texture test. I'm quite happy with that so i'll paint the whole thing tomorrow then add some shading..... and moss...

Oh and a golden Idol.

20160624_125256.png

Quick update. Heres the pedestal painted. I might go a bit darker but then in a dimly lit area it might be ok. Gonna add some shading and moss at some point. The 3 tiers are separated for painting. Once it had a day to dry I can assemble it.

20160625_145338.png

Had to quickly dosh some paint on one of my unfinished idols just to see what it looks like.
I'm really looking forward to having it all together with the trap working next weekend if the parts arrive in time.

20160625_145147.png

Thanks guys, I'll get the booby trap done and do a little video of it in action. I may even don a fedora for it too.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back