Battle starship

Thank you very much, my friends.

Love your work Katsu-San, pleasure and domestic, old mans stuff !!! Ha your not an old man, it an absolute pleasure to see and read what you do, you are inspirational, please keep it up as many of us love to read about your build and family

Thank you !! Bengrim09-san.

WOW....Just WOW!!! .
Thank you for sharing .
Cheers Ged.

Thank you !! gedmac66-san

Very cool! So creative! Food, sign, mailbox, garden, Starship... Thank you for sharing it all.

That F-14 in the background. 1/48 scale? I have a similar kit. Love that plane.

Hi! Thank you very much and you are welcome.

That's a Tamiya 1/32.
I bought and build it for more than 35 years ago.
(Right after I saw 'Top Gun' :D)
I was looking for the low visibility decal for this but it wasn't in the market then. Then it was abandoned.:p
When I was sorting out unnecessary things in our house last week, it came out from the back of the cabinet.
I love that plane, too.

The mailbox, the shake bento, those incredible engines... I feel so lazy!

Speaking of the shake bento, may I ask what these two, small pieces are in the upper left corner of the photo?

View attachment 729640

Thank you very much for the kind comment and thanks for asking.
That's a finger sized sausage. I fried and cut it in half.
It's handy for the Bento.

Man, the starship is looking AMAZING!!!

Looks 1/32.

Thank you very much Axlotl-san, Yeah, 1/32.

According to the morning weather forecast, it will be a very hot day today.
It's 8 o'clock and the humidity outside is 100% already.

On a day like today, we often eat this 'Somen-noodle' for lunch.
It's a very thin noodle and used served cold and with light flavored soy-sauce based dipping sauce.
Even after boiling, this noodle is difficult to become fluffy, maintain good texture and will not rot even in the summer.
The side dish is some cucumber inserted in a "Chikuwa" (kind of a fish meat sausage) . And rolls of ham, cheese and boiled vegetables.

Thank you very much for looking.

Last edited:
Haven't check in here in a while. I must say, this thing is just so epic looking. Those engines look like they took quite a bit of time.

Still following in silence..( And hungry! Those Bento boxes look delicious..)
Just don't have words to describe what this build does to me...

Dresses and tiaras look incredible. Your daughter is also a true artist..

Jim..
ps. The mailbox is awesome...

You model and mailbox are astonishing. The mailbox has an "Art Deco" flavor to it, when everything seemed to be bold and made out of glistening chrome. Your model has wonderful contrast with the bare metal paired with the lighting. Very beautiful! The food looks good as well, and is making me hungry. ;)

Haven't check in here in a while. I must say, this thing is just so epic looking. Those engines look like they took quite a bit of time.

Thanks, Jedimichael-san.
As you see, the precise mesurement is the most time consumption. And I'm not good at it.:p

Still following in silence..( And hungry! Those Bento boxes look delicious..)
Just don't have words to describe what this build does to me...

Dresses and tiaras look incredible. Your daughter is also a true artist..

Jim..
ps. The mailbox is awesome...

Thank you very much, Jim-san.

Katsu-san figured that origami was too easy, so he decided to do it in metal. Origane?

Origami >>>> Origane... You got me! You are getting to be an expert of Japanese langue!

Ori-Gami - paper folding
Ori-Gane - metal folding

Thanks, Tom-san ! :lol

You model and mailbox are astonishing. The mailbox has an "Art Deco" flavor to it, when everything seemed to be bold and made out of glistening chrome. Your model has wonderful contrast with the bare metal paired with the lighting. Very beautiful! The food looks good as well, and is making me hungry. ;)

Thank you very much, SCUDMAN-san!

I have always have an interest in Art-Deco for long time ago.
More than over 30 years ago, I happened to visit the museum of Tokyo Metropolitan Teien Museum. http://www.teien-art-museum.ne.jp/
That is a former residence of Asaka-no-miya who was the relatives of royal family and it was decorated with Art-Deco style.
There was also an exhivision of the works of glass artist, René Lalique.
Both museum and the glass works were so impressive and sensational to me.

OK, here's a few progress of Yesterday.

I made a inner reflector of the large thrusters.

I will go on working for the aft section.
It will be something like this sketch.
Drawing a sketch and making it for 3D has a big difference though, at least it may helps a little. Even if it might be a completely different shape when it's done as compare to the sketch finally, for me, it has been always a kickstarter to work on it.

Thank you very much for looking, gentlemen.

I will go to see the doctor this afternoon.
I'm having a serious pain in my hands and feet in last several month.
Especially, I feel strong pain and stiffness at night and wake up time.
It might be a rheumatism or something.

You don't want to get old.:facepalm

I love to see your progress, everyday I check to see what is happening on your build and in your family life ( it's everybody's little reality show) " the Fujihira show" and I'm addicted.
its a little slice of the good life in a somewhat twisted world ( terror attack in Manchester England last night )
i hope it all goes well at the doctors and your feeling better very soon
cant wait for the next episode :D
the lights in the thrusters are great can't wait to see little lights all over the battle ship

I love to see your progress, everyday I check to see what is happening on your build and in your family life ( it's everybody's little reality show) " the Fujihira show" and I'm addicted.
its a little slice of the good life in a somewhat twisted world ( terror attack in Manchester England last night )
i hope it all goes well at the doctors and your feeling better very soon
cant wait for the next episode :D
the lights in the thrusters are great can't wait to see little lights all over the battle ship

Thanks for the pleasant comment every time, Bengrim09-san.
:lolThe reality of "The Fujihira show" is rather something like a 'That's '70s show" or something. Mayhem, every day.:facepalm

That terrorist attack of England is terrible.
We should never accept that behavior like that no matter how they are motivated by anything. We are sorry that we Japanese are just sitting and watch them doing that while the western countries are sending their brave men and women to fight against them every day.

I went to the doctor yesterday and the doc said I'm suffering a rheumatism.
He provided me some medicine and said ' No drink ' .
Here goes one of my little happiness away.:cry

This is absolutely my favorite thread:thumbsup

Thank you very much and please enjoy my build, MooCriket-san!

Here's a little progres of today.

I built the basic structure of the aft engine section.

Curling above plate on a steel pipe.

Softly nocking the plate from the right side with wooden stick.

The important thing is my left index finger.
You have to keep this finger press strong and tight to not to move the plate.
This is the key tip to bend the metal plates all the time.

The reflecting light on the plate will tell you how it goes.

Looks like they are curled evenly.

then I sticked some etching parts on it.
The etching parts is the toy of Empire State Building.

Test fitting

So, this is it today.

Any of your comment and questions are welcome as always.

Oh, it's 5:10 already.
I got to cook up something for supper.

Thank you very much for looking.

katsu

Last edited:
I know I've said it before, but it's worth repeating -I love your creativity and problem solving skills. The etchings from the Empire State toy are perfect.

Early in the thread you said you were rethinking whether you were going to paint the ship or leave it straight aluminum. Have you decided the direction you're going to go?

Sorry to hear about your rheumatism. That will be a challenge to manage considering how often you work with your hands — hopefully the medicine will help. Swimming is also suppose to be helpful, if you have access to a facility. As for "no drink," that seems extra cruel!

Love the aft engine work and the technique.

Love the latest lighting test! The window mesh backing on the engine section looks awesome. I continue to be surprised and delighted by the direction you take with your details. Very creative!

Getting older is not always fun as the aches and pains sneak up on you. Take care. As for drink, lemonade is nice comfort of mine in my old age. :)

I know I've said it before, but it's worth repeating -I love your creativity and problem solving skills. The etchings from the Empire State toy are perfect.

Early in the thread you said you were rethinking whether you were going to paint the ship or leave it straight aluminum. Have you decided the direction you're going to go?

Hi, Snow Builder-san.

Thank you very much for the comment.

I've decided to paint this ship anyway but I will paint her with something the way it can preserve the metallic taste.
And I would like to leave some of the metal part as it is.

Have you ever given thought to anodizing the aluminum?

They do it on satellites

You can also get some pretty nice colors that way

Thanks for the advice, blakeh1-san.

I thought about the anodizing which is so called Alumite here.
So far, in my knowledge, anodizing has some issue like handling the toxic liquids.
Do you know any new measure or technique to anodizing in the DIY bases?

Sorry to hear about your rheumatism. That will be a challenge to manage considering how often you work with your hands — hopefully the medicine will help. Swimming is also suppose to be helpful, if you have access to a facility. As for "no drink," that seems extra cruel!

Love the aft engine work and the technique.

Thank you very much for the kind comment for me.

The doctor prescribed me a couple of herbal medicines. He said the steroids will get me a quick effect on it but he doesn't like to use them.
And thanks for the kind advice. We happened to have a small swimming pool in my front yard. The season is good for swimming.
I swear you I swim every day.
I can sell my soul for one single glass of whisky after the long model build working. :cry

You truly are a treasure and an inspiration.

Thank you very much, MooCriket-san. YOUR alltime support is my treasure.

Love the latest lighting test! The window mesh backing on the engine section looks awesome. I continue to be surprised and delighted by the direction you take with your details. Very creative!

Getting older is not always fun as the aches and pains sneak up on you. Take care. As for drink, lemonade is nice comfort of mine in my old age. :)

Thank you so much for the kind comment to my model and kind care for me.
At any time, looks like I would be given a good tip from some wise men.
Oh, Yes!! Lemonade!! I forgot about it.
Maybe I should think about the survival beverage.

In fact, I love drink but not to be drunk.
I only love the taste of beer or spirits.
Lemonade, tonic water, ice tea...
Maybe I can use the bunch of mint grasses in our backyard.
Maybe I can survive this summer.

Thank you very much, Hagoth-san!!

The Bento-box i made this morning is something looks strange for the foreign people.

This is called 'Spaghetti Napolitan' in Japan. ( It got nothing have to do with Italian dish).
The roots of this dish is the "Spaghetti with meatball" of U.S. When we lost that war, U.S military forces supplied a substantial daily necessitiesl and foods into Japan. One of the new in our eyes was the spaghetti with meatball. We tried to imitate the dish and we cooked some spaghetti with tomato-ketchup with some onion, green pepper, chopped sausage or bacon.
We made that 'Spaghetti with meatball' as to Japanese dish.
This dish became very popular here in Japan and loved by everyone, especially by youth.
You can still have this dish at the most of diner or coffee shop here in Japan.
My wife loves this. She said her mother used cook it for her.
Very simple recipe.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the kind comment to my model and kine care for me.
At any time, looks like I would be given a good tip from some wise men.
Oh, Yes!! Lemonade!! I forgot about it.
Maybe I should think about the survival beverage.

In fact, I love drink but not to be drunk.
I only love the taste of beer or spirits.
Lemonade, tonic water, ice tea...
Maybe I can use the bunch of mint grasses in our backyard.
Maybe I can survive this summer.

Thank you very much, Hagoth-san!!

To surviving the summer! I raise a tall cold glass of lemonade to you my friend. :cheers To more resilient health and continued excellent model making! :D

I like the thought direction of painting parts of it while maintaining the metallic taste and leaving bare metal in other places. The blue test you did was thin enough to preserve the metal flavor but provide a hint of color. A mix of maybe three colors or tones with some bold decals and the rest polished silver would look striking.

To surviving the summer! I raise a tall cold glass of lemonade to you my friend. :cheers To more resilient health and continued excellent model making! :D

I've just made a jug of lemonade with a lot of ice.
It's so great!! I think the key is to add a little bit of good sea salt in it.
It's better than any beer for me.

I like the thought direction of painting parts of it while maintaining the metallic taste and leaving bare metal in other places. The blue test you did was thin enough to preserve the metal flavor but provide a hint of color. A mix of maybe three colors or tones with some bold decals and the rest polished silver would look striking.

Good idea, sir.
I'm gonna study some bold decals or pattern.

Cheers!! (y)cheers

Fantastic work! I am in awe of your workmanship with sheet metal...and you're culinary artistry. :popcorn

Have you thought about masking areas and sandblasting the surface with different sized grit blasting medium? It would leave that metallic look you want to preserve while having different metal textures throughout.

I thought about the anodizing which is so called Alumite here.
So far, in my knowledge, anodizing has some issue like handling the toxic liquids.
Do you know any new measure or technique to anodizing in the DIY bases?

Unfortunately it does require use of sulfuric acid or lye.

http://www.wikihow.com/Anodize-Aluminum

http://www.mikesenese.com/DOIT/2010/07/anodize-aluminum-at-home-with-everyday-materials/

back in my college days I had done a fair amount of for part of a metalsmithing project I was working on

I've done it with aluminum as well as titanium and niobium.

I wonder if there might be places that would do it for you (obviously for a price).

Then again probably way more expensive than it is worth

I think I have also seen some spray paints etc.. that try to mimic that anodized look
now off to eat something as I seem to get very hungry for some reason whenever I come to this thread:lol

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back