Budget Mercury suit

Here are the pics I took - not sure of the helmet sizing. Ryan Nagata or A. Savage may know more about the variations in helmet sizing.

I measure the ring at 10.25" on the bottom of the ring and beveled up to 10" on the top of the ring. Interior ring is 8.75".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! These will be extremely helpful! I can't remember where or how I picked the size but my helmet is 9" in width so I'll probably adjust a few sizings on the neck ring. Thanks again!

I wonder if I could mold and cast this ring for you. Maybe a resin ring could work?

I wonder if I could mold and cast this ring for you. Maybe a resin ring could work?

That would be extremely nice! Let me keep looking for the RPF's rules for buying and selling (I seem to remember reading something about that). But of not, you've given me a ton of helpful resources.

Yeah - it's likely cheaper and more accurate to buy a real one. I wasn't thinking you'd pay for a casting of it but I'd have to break it apart to mold it correctly. I'll end up doing it at some point but not until I begin work on my mercury suit.

By the way - what fabric did you use for this?

I used a satin. It was cheaper and I knew it was mostly going to be a "display" suit. I had seen a more "cosplay" silver fabric, it was stretchy and extremely pricy and this is a "budget" suit. I know that the helmet and neck ring may be the priciest part of this, but hopefully I should be able to sell some extras. The places I had the most difficulty were the straps, legs waist and shoulders. Best of luck on your suit!

How about the wrist connectors and gloves? I'm really struggling on that part.

I tried patterning the gloves but that didn't work so I bought a pair of black leather gloves and hot glued the satin pattern on it. It's not my favorite part working on the suit and I will probably redo them, but Alan Shepard's suit had zippered wrists. I haven't cast anything before and I just didn't have the know how to try. I hoped that helped!

Retry pics

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    831.9 KB · Views: 90
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    758.7 KB · Views: 82
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    990.7 KB · Views: 91
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    969 KB · Views: 105
So, I've been having difficulty covering the helmet, I got frustrated, tore it off, and stopped trying to cover it. I continued though working on the new neck ring . I intend to have it being a functional piece, so that makes it a couple peices. It will have the front, sliding part, and back.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,011.2 KB · Views: 84
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,007.4 KB · Views: 91
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    843.3 KB · Views: 78
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,015.9 KB · Views: 97
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 86
Almost done with the helmet, after this is completedI'll use Bondo to smooth it out.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 94
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 91
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 80
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 87
How are you planning to build the visor?

I plan on doing the visor with this plastic globe I bought. The "casing" (I suppose) for the visor I plan on making out of aluminum along with the neck ring. I'm also casting the connectors separately so that in the future I can make a Gemini suit. All that's left now is to Bondo the helmet.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 97
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 94
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 104
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 110
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 100
What size globe is it? Just thinking ahead on the scale if I decide to build my own.

While I prepare to complete the helmet, does anyone have any idea what the tan tube on the side does, or how to replicate it? Any help is great! Thanks!

I think it might be to connect the communication, heat, air to the helmet from the cockpit.

2dde8ec23ef125fbdf81d70a2118aff8.jpg

Regardless of the use - the ones I've seen up close look like a 90 degree PVC elbow - maybe 1/2"?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back