Budget Mercury suit

I have done more than I expected today, so the fact that I still hadn't figured out the oxygen meter was annoying me, so, I took a milk lid about the same size as the real oxygen meter, and attached Velcro to the back and to the corresponding area on the suit, then I resized this picture from Ryan Nagata's suit for the meter pattern, hot glued it in, then I cut corresponding circles to make up the cover, for the clear bubble I used a divider binder, I was afraid that the hot glue would melt it but it didn't, and hot glued that to the lid, and then placed the two Velcro sides together giving the desired effect.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    308 KB · Views: 148
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgI have done more than I expected today, so the fact that I still hadn't figured out the oxygen meter was annoying me, so, I took a milk lid about the same size as the real oxygen meter, and attached Velcro to the back and to the corresponding area on the suit, then I resized this picture from Ryan Nagata's suit for the meter pattern, hot glued it in, then I cut corresponding circles to make up the cover, for the clear bubble I used a divider binder, I was afraid that the hot glue would melt it but it didn't, and hot glued that to the lid, and then placed the two Velcro sides together giving the desired effect.

So I was looking over my helmet and neck ring, (surger broke, fixing so I can continue) and I remembered for Ryan Nagata's Apollo suit (http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=229923) he used magnets to attach many parts, and that seems most do-able based on how my project is going. I'll be ordering the straps tomorrow and I'll have some more work done on the helmet tonight. Happy building!

Looks like your rockin and rollin now! Glad I could help. (lol) Had to put on my Right Stuff music to view your thread!

Regards,
Chuck

Thanks! I tried it on last night with a pair of long underwear under it, and the crotch area was a bit too tight for comfort, I'll be adding about 3/4 of an inch strip where it needs to go. I'll have another update soon!

My straps have arrived! I'll be attatching them later, once I deal with the leg problem. I won't be staining the straps, and I'm leaving out the neck ring strap that had those v shaped metal parts, I may end up adding them eventually but for now, I think it will be fine without it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    519.7 KB · Views: 141
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    905.8 KB · Views: 111
I have added the neck attachment! I know that the real ones had zippers on them so I'm working out how to do that, I have also added elastic into the ankles and I'm currently working on fixing the legs. As you can see in the picture I have also began to work on the straps.
Back to work!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    966.4 KB · Views: 140
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 138
Continuing on the suit: I'm working on the legs but I did this first, I have completed the name tag. I don't consider it perfect and later I'll go back and fix it, but I have attached it via Velcro. I may later do Scott Carpenter's name tag or John Glenn's but for now it's just my suit.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 115
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 126
I am having more difficulties with the legs, I think I'm going to re-cut the original size and figure out what went wrong. I have added the NASA patch to my suit and I have begun to add the straps, I have also added the zippes to the neck area. Wish me luck!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 139
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    379.8 KB · Views: 180
This is Major Tom to ground control, I an stepping through the door of almost completion! As you can see, the legs fit much better now and all the straps are in place. I still need to add the air hose connector and make the helmet. I have also ordered a 16" plastic display bubble to cut for the visor.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 304
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 151
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 151
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 137
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    574 KB · Views: 162
Pretty sure I posted this in one of Mr. Nagata's threads, but here's a close-up of Alan Shepard's suit at the Smithsonian a few years ago.

Attachments

• IMG_4196-A.jpg
    IMG_4196-A.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 144
Pretty sure I posted this in one of Mr. Nagata's threads, but here's a close-up of Alan Shepard's suit at the Smithsonian a few years ago.

Thanks! I'm not going to have much time to work on it today but I'll be sure to compare this to my suit later.

Looking great. Also remember you can use army jump boots painted silver. Here's John Glenn's suit:
51e0decbf8db98f0c73078e31a916461.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

My bubble for the Visor came in last week and only now I'm having time to work on the helmet. I think that the bubble I bought may be a little too big, so I may use my heat gun to bend it properly. So I re-patterned the helmet and I'll be using a thicker foam for the helmet. I'll have some more pictures later!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    999.2 KB · Views: 107
So my helmet is giving me some issues, I have made the helmet too big, so now I look like Dark Helmet. Oh well, part of the process!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    740 KB · Views: 117
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    923.9 KB · Views: 123
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    860 KB · Views: 128
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 133

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back