Bandai A-Wing Starfighter 1/72 scale

Jabberwookie

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi all,

This is my first post and I'm very excited.

I used to build scale models in the late 70s early 80s with my dad but stopped for about 20 years.

I decided to get back in the hobby last year when I saw the Deagostini Millennium Falcon.

My latest acquisition is the Bandai A-wing starfighter 1/72 scale. I'm planning on adding led lighting, and so far that's proven very challenging due to the all the supporting structures in Bandai kits.
The kit comes with colored plastic but being true to hobby I want paint it my self, the recommended colors are from MR. color, but I all ready have the full Tamiya line.

The question is does anyone know the color mixes using Tamiya paint?

I will greatly appreciate it,

Cheers!

Hi all,

This is my first post and I'm very excited.

I used to build scale models in the late 70s early 80s with my dad but stopped for about 20 years.

I decided to get back in the hobby last year when I saw the Deagostini Millennium Falcon.

My latest acquisition is the Bandai A-wing starfighter 1/72 scale. I'm planning on adding led lighting, and so far that's proven very challenging due to the all the supporting structures in Bandai kits.
The kit comes with colored plastic but being true to hobby I want paint it my self, the recommended colors are from MR. color, but I all ready have the full Tamiya line.

The question is does anyone know the color mixes using Tamiya paint?

I will greatly appreciate it,

Cheers!

I'm a big fan of ignoring colour recommendations from the manufacturer.

If I were to suggest anything it would be a flat white with a splash of grey and a splash of deck tan for the base. And the red looks to be the same red as the falcon. which I use a 50/50 of flat red and brown.

Honestly? Play around and trust your eye. You'll get it perfect

Welcome back in the game! The Bandai kits are excellent. I want to get the A-wing for no reason other than for the Turbo Laser. :lol Be sure to post pics of your build and share your techniques, it's how we all get better.

Thanks. The credit really goes to Bandai - it is a great kit.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Yes, your build post on KotF forum looks pretty flawless. Thanks for sharing that... btw, what is the overall length of the model, around 14 cm?
Cheers! Robert

Last weekend's picnic and modeling 'build night' got me churning on A-Wing details. After scrutinizing my MPC kit I felt I needed some better decal coverage especially after my buddy shared a peek at his Bandai kit. Result is I did some research & made my own artwork to provide for all the decals on the original:
artwork image.jpg

Missing from the Bandai decal sheet are #11 (1), #12 (2), #3 (1) and (1) each of #08 & #09. (My #07 is what kit #14 is supposed to represent.) Details for these graphics is compiled in an A-Wing 'tracker' spreadsheet along with a PDF of my artwork on our local modeling club's website (per separate post...) Note that the outlines are not part of the decals and the only two designs with 'white' are #05 (background) & #14. The kit's decal #16 (my #02) does not have a white background, though apparently they are placed on a white painted area, so the white underlayer helps with the color density. Kit #'s 23 & 22 I didn't find in the reference images I have so I'm curious where the instructions place them.

Regards, Robert

Ok, lighting this little kit has proven more challenging than I thought , and probably my plan is too ambitious :p.
I will eventually use this A-wing in a diorama, and with that in mind I decided to use small lithium CR1225 3v batteries for the power pack. This batteries even though they are 3v they don't power an LED to optimal brightness but close enough.

I will use (2) Straw-hat 5mm amber LED for the engines, (1) cool-white 3mm led for fiber-optic and (1) cool-white 3mm flashing led for fiber-optic.

I decided to add some gribbles in the concussion missile side ports ;), so I'm going my own way with this build.
As for the off-white color, I fumbled quite a bit and ended up with a more grayish tone :$, but it will do for this one.

I look forward to your comments, opinions, advice and critique.

20160708_092648.jpg20160708_094656.jpg20160712_083130.jpg20160713_095634.jpg20160713_075928.jpg20160713_082519.jpg20160713_090214.jpg20160713_092851.jpg

20160708_092648.jpg

20160708_094656.jpg

20160712_083130.jpg

20160713_095634.jpg

20160713_075928.jpg

20160713_082519.jpg

20160713_090214.jpg

20160713_092851.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Kirova, that's a great guide. I ordered mr hobby off white H21 for the next one. Still I need to practice paint mixing and being patient with it

careful though, Mr Color and Mr Hobby are different, Color is solvent based, while Hobby is acrylic based, and the color chart is different too IIRC

I am not sure if Mr Hobby is compatible with Tamiya acrylics or not (many years ago I mixed Mr Color with Tamiya, and the result wasn't pretty :))

careful though, Mr Color and Mr Hobby are different, Color is solvent based, while Hobby is acrylic based, and the color chart is different too IIRC

I am not sure if Mr Hobby is compatible with Tamiya acrylics or not (many years ago I mixed Mr Color with Tamiya, and the result wasn't pretty :))

I use Mr. Color Leveling thinner with Tamiya acrylic paints and it works beautifully, I highly recommend that thinner. You just need to make sure your paints are both acrylic if they come from different brands, do some tests first of course.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back