Impression Printing tool - what material?

SMunky

Hello,

Long time lurker, first time poster. Not really costume or prop related but I thought I could ask here as this community has loads of knowledge.

I have a silicon mold from which I am going to create an impression printing tool, using water based paints (for now) - rather like linoluem printing except that the tool will be cast rather than carved. I am having trouble deciding what material I should use. It needs to be porous / hydrophillic enough so the paint doesn't separate on the surface (probably eliminating most liquid plastics), but not so porous that the paint is absorbed by the tool causing wear and discolouration etc. It also needs to resilient enough to take many prints and wipe downs (eliminating most plasters). Perhaps a dense foam? I honestly have no idea and don't really want to spend loads of money on a trial and error of different materials.

Tried googling but there isn't much out there to help. Any comments, thoughts or suggestions are most welcome!

Thanks

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back