Netflix's VOLTRON: Legendary Defender

PoopaPapaPalps

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Is anyone watching this? I just started it a few nights ago and am halfway through and while watching it, it's a hard thing to describe for me; I'm liking this and hating this at the same time. I've never seen the original show, Go Lions!, which was heavily edited into the show we in the States know as Voltron, which I have seen, but this new show and the old show share a remarkable coincidence for me because for both shows, while I'm watching it, I realize there's some potentially good stuff here that's hindered by the, well, awful all around it.

The writing is really spotty (rushed is an understatement) and the animation is that "mock-anime" that's kinda been building in the US for some time that I really can't abide by. Not because it's aping the style but because it does it as a naive attempt at flattery through imitation. It will take all the crazy, "kawaii" reactions and expressions but skimp on finesse and polish on the animation and character building that even the worst of anime has.

I know it's a remake of the show "Voltron" and not of Go Lions but if they're gonna build a new show from an old show, that was a mad reworking of another old show, then at least try to make it stand out from the old iteration. As it is, I can't help but find it just as equally flawed as the old edited show, which says a lot to the new one. They even have the intelligent mice which is just as lame as the old show.

I give it this, there are really cool moments of animation when it comes to some of the action sequences. However, it all feels so... undeserved, if that makes sense. I feel like the show hasn't set itself up properly to warrant this level of quality when it gets to it. It's almost as if the whole series was based on a few select key sequences that the show-runners thought up first and then proceeded to build everything around it from there on.

This kinda effort seen in action cartoons makes me all the more sad that Tron: Uprising and Sym-Bionic Titan (also rife with stupid but excelled in later episodes) were canned. Both shows really had incredible visuals and the never pandered or talked down to the audience it was intended for.

Ho hum. Here's hoping the return of Samurai Jack shows them how to do it.

Last edited:
Re: Netflix's VOLTRON: Defenders of the Universe

This version of Voltron is like .. Voltron and Avatar (Aang/Korra) had a baby and this is the result. But with cheaper animation quality.
I have only watched the first 3 episodes, but i will intend to finish it.

Only bonuses i saw was how they added in old Macross/Robotech/Gundam pilot cameos in the first 3 episodes. I found this funny.

I'm through Ep 9 and liking it. It's still a kids cartoon at heart but there is enough in there to keep me as an adult engaged. It's better than the bits and pieces of what I remember from the original Voltron, and most of the reboot characters are definitely more engaging. I don't mind the animation style, after Avatar and Korra I'm used to it. It's not a series that'll blow your socks off but for a reboot of an 80s cartoon, it's good enough for me.

I watched the first one and don't think it's for me....kinda sad since I was expecting something ...different

It was okay. Powered through all the episodes with my son. Hoping for a second season that will be better. Really found myself missing the old 80's Voltron intro music., in addition to the old Voltron toy I used to have. God I miss the 80's.

It was okay. Powered through all the episodes with my son. Hoping for a second season that will be better. Really found myself missing the old 80's Voltron intro music., in addition to the old Voltron toy I used to have. God I miss the 80's.

I wish I had taken better care of my **** from the 80's.

Re: Netflix's VOLTRON: Legendary Defenders

I just finished the series last night and I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one that find this show flawed. It definitely picks up in the later half but that's like saying instead of laying face down in the mud, it got up on its knees.

There are some lines that did get genuine laughs from me but I found the show that my imagination was coming up with, while watching Voltron, is still more interesting. Besides the Ninja Turtles, it seems that's the way it goes for the 80's reboot shows: Thundercats, He-man, and now this.

Also, this is an old video but I love the editing for it:

Last edited by a moderator:
Voltron Legendary Defender - what are your opinions about the reimagination?

I've watched the 2016 Voltron reimagination - Voltron Legendary Defender the 1. season which consists of 11 episodes. I haven't seen the original series run of 1984 (never ran in germany as far as I knew), but I am familiar with it with the bits and pieces as well as episodes on YouTube. I am aware that one has started a thread about a cosplay and it's good looking.

I admit, I can't get past the somewhat cringey dialog ridden typical 80's Saturday morning cartoon. There are several attempts reimaging the series inbetween 1984 and 2016, but I wasn't aware of it, I only knew of the original.

So, since the series is done by "The Legend of Korra" team, I was curious about what they habe to offer and boy do they have to offer. The characters have depth, they have motivation, it's not the typical "fight the villain" run of the mill plot, the suits look modern and great, Princess Allura is remimaged as a person of color and is much more self-dependant, going into mission herself later and so far I have become a fan of Voltron Legendary Defender.

So have you seen already the reimagination? What do fans of the original series think of it?

I was a huge fan of Voltron as a kid and I enjoyed the new version a lot. It was a little goofy and parts of the dialogue were pretty rough, but overall it gave me what I was really looking for with it: giant lion robots merging into an even more giant humanoid robot to beat the snot out of monsters.

I watched Voltron back in the day, but always had a love/hate. There was good, there was bad. This one is the same in that regard.

In at least one aspect it's TOO faithful. Was ANYONE clamoring for a return of those silly mice?

I know it's limited animation, just as the original was, but they could've put SOME effort into the opening shots of the series. Slow zoom on an almost completely static scene, with characters speaking off camera so that the dialogue didn't have to be animated. An occasionally necessary cheat in a cartoon series, but right off the bat?!

The acquisition of the lions should've taken more than one episode. Maybe even one episode per lion. That would have given them time to explore the concept of the lions choosing their pilots. Neat idea but it's rushed and practically thrown away. How choosy could the lions be if they just so happen to jibe with all our main characters? Of all the people in the universe, it just so happens that the five people who went out to find the lions this week are the perfect pilots. Mmkay.

Story flow was a bit clunky.

I've only watched the first one so far, but there were like 4 fart jokes in that episode alone. Cool it, writers.

I might watch more if I run out of stuff to watch some evening.

If any of you saw the Voltron Force cartoon from a few years back, you will appreciate this new one a LOT more. That thing was a complete wreck.

Yeah, I think I gave up on that one within seconds.

For some reason I watched the CG one back in the 90s. It wasn't good, but I gave it more of a chance than I give shows today. :lol

Meh,the Japanese version of the original is better then the english one,this is...okay kinda odd how they did it with the whole alien thing and the princess,but could be worse.

I watched it. It was ok. Too much humor and goofy anime stuff in it, I wish they made it a bit more serious. But one thing really bothered me.

The music was absolute ****.

it was the most uninspired, generic crap I've ever heard in anything.

The original Go Lions series had something that got your pulse going, it was exciting, had strength in the music. This was so drab and boring, I couldn't stand it. Seriously, every Voltron merge sequence I kept playing the original music in my head because it was so far superior. I also missed the 'activate interlocks, dynotherms connected, mega thrusters are go' sequence which was harkened to when the Castle took to the sky.

But bring back the good music.

I've been watching the original "Beastking Golion" which Voltron was based on and I am very amazed about the story telling, but what baffled me was how close some scene were taken over from the original to the reinterpretation. For example the new VLD showed the rescue of Allura from the Galra ship and Shiro was trapped in the hangar with Haggar, while she projected the mirage images of hers to confuse Shiro, that was just like taken scene by scene the episode 5 where poor Shiro bit the dust… And Princess Fala and Allura weren't the helpless damsel in distress, they were actually heroines to stand their own ground. So amazing these take-overs.

Just finished S1 with my six year old. Thought it was great! We tried to revisit the original a while back and it was just dark and disjointed. The errors in translation took over the whole show. Somehow, the Netflix version was very much the show I remembered the old one to be (I only saw a handful of episodes at an early age and read storybooks).

I really liked the new Voltron. Big Voltron fan back in the day, but tried to watch the 80s version as an adult and it's...terrible is being kind. It's disjointed, cut from different sources, had bad translating, and I couldn't make it back the spanking of an adult woman by an older man while everyone stood around and laughed only a few episodes in. Um...this is a different cartoon than I appreciated as a kid - for sure.

Now, this is the US version, not the original anime I'm talking about, but...man, is it bad. The new one is enjoyable. Not earth-shattering, but fun.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back