Tylosaurus & Archelon Museum diorama

Gabriel P

I would like to share some pictures of the process involved in making the scale models of two late Cretaceous marine reptiles; Archelon Ischyros and Tylosaurus Proriger for the Yale Peabody Museum.
I personally sculpted, molded, cast and painted these two statues.
To build the armature I used brass rods and a type of styrofoam which is very easy to sculpt in order to add volume to the armature and lower the quantity of clay I would later use. The sculptures were done using an oil and wax based clay, for the mold instead RTV silicone rubber, thickened with fumed silica, and ultracal 30 gypsum cement for the jacket. I later cast the two models in fiberglass, and used acrylic paints and washes for the paint job.
For now I will post a few pictures of the clay sculptures, as soon as I can I will upload photos of the rest of the project.
Please feel free to criticize my sculptures, and let me know what you think about them.

. ArchTylo 1.jpg

DSC_0048.JPG

DSC_0052_1.JPG

DSC_0257.JPG

DSC_1036_1.JPG

DSC_1065.JPG

DSC_1105.JPG

DSC_1147.JPG

DSC_1125.JPG

Heavens! These are absolutely GORGEOUS! You must be a trained anatomist as well as a fantastic sculptor. I'd be fascinated to see more of your process.

Thanks so much for sharing these photos.

:thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Tylosaurus & Archelon Museum diorama

Thank you Leigh!
The sculptures were separated using shims that I cut out of a sheet of very thin aluminum, I pushed them in kind of deep to make sure they stayed in position ( they were still very delicate and it was hard to work without them getting out of place, however if they would have been thicker the seems would have been harder to fix) . Later I added transparent scotch tape to them because I needed to make these separations wider. The plaster parts which compose the jacket are very thin too, this because I mixed the ultracal 30 with fiberglass sheets. I basically used the fiberglass to make plaster bandages.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you very much everyone for the wonderful comments!

As a full time fossil prepper for many years, i have seen countless sculptures and displays made for museums. I myself have done them and been involved with them for years. I must say that your work is top notch. Far better than me (and i thought i was pretty good). You are truly talented. Great job

I've always had a thing for fossils... Collected them for years and years (Because of a severe lack of space they now inhabit three large boxes in the attic). That being said, I've always loved models of dinosaurs and mesozoic creatures, and these look absolutely fantastic!

The skin and muscle details are really cool, and the paint job looks very lifelike. Amazing job, well done! :)

daredevil665 the reason i used ultracal is because at that time i had to finish the mold very quickly, using the ultracal i was able to make the cast just a few hours after having completed the mold. Also i don't have much experience with fiberglass mother molds...i am always afraid of messing up hahahaha:wacko
However i realize how convenient a fiberglass mold is, it is lightweight, easier to piece together since you can also use bolts, and hardier....all qualities the plaster or ultracal mother mold cannot match up with.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back