Aliens Xenomorph head piece for a young man (pic heavy)

VFXFoamRob

Hey everyone! This is my first official post besides my introduction post so please be gentle :)

I wanted to share an interesting project we're working on over at VFX Foam in Washington. We're doing things a little bit differently when it comes to making certain cosplay and props and this new Aliens Xenomorph head piece is a good example.

Project Background: There's a young man that's a huge fan of the movie Aliens, especially the Xenomorphs (yes, a kid that takes after our own hearts!). He's been wanting a full Xenomorph costume for Halloween and we teamed up with his mom and dad to create the head piece for his costume. We started with scanning a Xenomorph action figure's head, cleaned up the 3D model in 3ds Max, removed the neck so we could add a bike helmet system to strap the head piece to the young mans head and widened the neck area and shortened the overall length so it would like right on his 44 inch tall body. We're machining this out of high density EPS foam using our 4axis cnc foam router, coating the piece with a hard coat to give the foam durability and to make it last a long time, as well as prime, paint, airbrush, and clear coat once we're ready.

3D Scanning the head from the Action Figure
IMG_20160520_105230055.jpg
3D model comparison vs action figure head
IMG_20160520_155225.jpg
First half of the head being cut out on the 4axis CNC foam router
IMG_2153.JPG
3D rendering showing how the bike helmet will fit inside the Xenomorph head
^D04388BE13423CAE52BD2D575DD22F877F567E864EE980D0E5^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg
Another view of the bike helmet attachment
^7122E4B215B6D745CFB3AFC5C222805F6BC0EC1E9FF35B3059^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg
Xenomorph head beside bike helmet (size comparison)
IMG_3860.JPG
Another comparison of the helmet and head
IMG_3861.JPG
Side view of Xenomorph head
IMG_3859.JPG
Another side view
IMG_3857.JPG

If you're not familiar with what hard coating a prop does, here's a quick video we made of a test piece from the Alien Xenomorph project showing the impact resistance of the coating. We know this isn't the most scientific or ASTM approved way to measure/test durability but we feel it gives a good idea of what the coating can do:

We'll post some updated pics as we continue moving along with the project. Hope you guys like what we've done with the project so far!

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are a few updated pictures of the head piece. Please remember that this has been scaled to fit a young man that is about 44 inches tall :)

This shows the piece after we added a hard coat called Polyurea, same coating used in in truck bed liners from companies like Line-X and Rhino Liner. This adds a very durable impact resistant coating to make the prop last a long time. We'll be prepping the prop for paint and starting on it later this week or beginning of next week. Looking forward to showing everyone the finished prop!

IMG_3929.JPG
IMG_3928.JPG
IMG_3926.JPG

Pic of one of our artists (Aaron) smoothing everything out, sanding, and then prepping it for paint
cS1hWFGl.jpg

Painted (Just needs a few layers of some glossy clear coat to bring out the wet/shiny look)
fEGpXH2.jpg

looks great, that coating is wicked

Thanks gothic! This was a really fun project for us and we can't wait to see his reaction after he receives this. He has no idea we're making it for him so it should be a pretty cool surprise for the little guy. I'll post up the final pics after it's been clear coated.

Aaaand.....SHE'S DONE! We added the last few layers of clear coat and just waiting for it to cure before shipping it out. The straps at the bottom are part of a bike helmet system we installed into the base of the head so the young kid wearing it will have a way to secure it to his head

13442143_903720979756862_5589361928921807670_n.jpg

Getting ready to ship this to it's final destination. We took some high res images first. This will give you a better idea of ohw it will look during low-light situations like on halloween :) We also created a custom box for this to ship in. I'll see if I can get some pics to post up later.

ghhtxDvl.jpg

oLfrCXXl.jpg

gYE8T9Gl.jpg

i034J6zl.jpg

YSvyvmXl.jpg

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back