Group Tele-Build: Luke/Obi-Wan Shared Stunt 3D printed saber: NEW FILES post #77!

b23d58d382d9880c02cbc3e4a5e31fbb.jpg
9c97552849666b71cf4753f3d9c68411.jpg

I've gotten the clamp split into separate parts. I also changed the pin-to-lever connection. The lever has a little axle piece that clips into the pin now, which is a little more secure and looks cooler imho. I'll upload the revised files as soon as I get a chance.

f8c51f5504121a4f86e0b783ad89c251.jpg
c1f1fae5566d7d32d5c02c6905fc0518.jpg

I changed around the grenade/windvane/emitter configuration again so that now everything can be printed without the need for support material. The emitter in particular looks much cleaner.

342207a569e57e9481effbc86377d568.jpg

I'm debating on whether or not to add a twist lock to the pommel. It would limit the orientation possibilities, but would be more secure. I also might make versions of the parts with the screw holes, or at least some faux set screw heads. Does anyone care enough for me to go through the trouble, hahaha?

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

I think you're doing an amazing job with this, and it's making me want a 3D printer more and more!

What hardware and software are you using?

I guess an Ultimaker 2, from that photo above?

What do you draw/model with? SketchUp?

Can we get these printed for us at shapeways?

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words! The printer I'm using is an Ultimaker 2 Go, which is the little brother of the Ultimaker 2. It's got a smaller build plate, about 7.5" cubed, but prints in amazing quality, and the smaller volume forces me to be a better engineer and also makes my files useable to more people.

I primarily use Sketchup to make my models. It's honestly not the best program for this work, but I've developed a good work flow and know a lot of work arounds. For simple shapes, the interface is incredibly intuitive, but you've got to be creative when making more complex stuff. The pro version of the software is awesome, but it's quite expensive.

If I had to do it all over again, I would have spent my time learning 123Design. I'm slowly getting more comfortable with it, but I already know my way around Sketchup so well. Sketchup is better for architecture. 123Design is better for 3D printing imho.

I've also started messing with meshmixer, but only really it's support generating system. I haven't really tried modeling anything with it.

EDIT

I've thought about maybe opening up a shapeways store and putting this up on there. Once I get things finalized to my liking, I might just go ahead and do that.

Last edited:
More tweaks! This time around I added the set screws on the booster, windvane, and emitter, added the d ring hole to the pommel as well as the hole on the ring above the cubes, and most importantly, reconfigured the booster and clamp spacer into a single piece. Not only that, but I hollowed it out and now the shape can be printed without any support material!

I also took the opportunity to model up an ESB-style edge connector as can be seen on the recently surfaced resin cast sail barge saber.

For better or for worse, I have taken the files off of thingiverse for the time being. I've seen a few too many creeps passing off other people's work as their own to make a quick buck, and until I figure some things out, I am going to be be selective with how I share these files. I'm all about the free exchange of information, but at least give credit where credit is due! If you're interested in the files, shoot me a pm.
16ffdddb1503b882689334220be57bc9.jpg
9e3dcb77e6add4ec42387ca978cb7059.jpg
7cce34eb4edabe99639636fe2418b6ba.jpg
77aedfc45f25bbacf307f68f2a420f66.jpg

Beautiful!! The modeled set screws will even help when adding real screws, both as a starter point for the drill, and with how a printer will add more plastic around that area.

The new clamp card makes me want to print a second and make it into that grimy sail barge casting...

This is truly remarkable! If you set up a shapeways store I might be all over this. That's saying something, I've always shied away from 3D printed stuff too :D

Finally done! Got the emitter updated on my build, finished a printed clamp, and painted the grip section.

Because I couldn't resist, a little fun with photo editing:

(I now see I was a little aggressive when sanding the grip section, causing the rings to widen, but it must be called done at some point or I'll just endlessly redo parts one after another)

Some multiple views:

I'm particularly excited about how the clamp turned out. The band and one bar are Mance's models, with only the lever and the threaded bar being from a Roman replica.

Luke shared stunt 3D print build by mooslug, on Flickr

The metal effect was done with one of the new Molotow Liquid Chrome pens. It works really well to mimic a chromed/plated finish. I used the marker on the visible edges and the section of the clamp band that holds the circuit card - basically any areas not covered in aluminum tape. Regular silver paint is underneath. It would certainly work on a printed clamp lever as well, but I had a metal one left over from another project.

MANY thanks to Mance once again for doing these files!!!

Finally done! Got the emitter updated on my build, finished a printed clamp, and painted the grip section.

Because I couldn't resist, a little fun with photo editing:

[url]https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2816/34287346956_880ce8eb21_z.jpg[/URL]
(I now see I was a little aggressive when sanding the grip section, causing the rings to widen, but it must be called done at some point or I'll just endlessly redo parts one after another)

Some multiple views:

[url]https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2867/33944547790_a731172eb4_z.jpg[/URL]

I'm particularly excited about how the clamp turned out. The band and one bar are Mance's models, with only the lever and the threaded bar being from a Roman replica.

[url]https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2835/34287348036_c317958b01_z.jpg[/URL]Luke shared stunt 3D print build by mooslug, on Flickr

The metal effect was done with one of the new Molotow Liquid Chrome pens. It works really well to mimic a chromed/plated finish. I used the marker on the visible edges and the section of the clamp band that holds the circuit card - basically any areas not covered in aluminum tape. Regular silver paint is underneath. It would certainly work on a printed clamp lever as well, but I had a metal one left over from another project.

[url]https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4183/34287351486_50d72501b3_z.jpg[/URL]

MANY thanks to Mance once again for doing these files!!!
That looks incredible! Very, very cool!

While I've been waiting for my printer to be repaired, I started finishing the final prototype. I glued the lower and upper grips and windvane together (making the saber 3 parts: emitter, main body, and pommel). I hit each piece with 3-4 coats of Rustoleum filler primer, then buffed everything smooth with #0000 steel wool. This gets rid of 90-95% of the printing artifacts yet allows you to keep a lot of the sharper edges. The few remaining print artifacts were either sanded flat or filled in with Bondo spot filler then sanded smooth. Another 2-3 coats of regular non-filler primer on top of that, buffed to a sheen again with #0000 steel wool.

I did the same to the individual pieces of the clamp. I then painted the main clamp piece with Rustoleum bright metallic paint. Next, I applied aluminum tape to the side bars and clamp and cut out the appropriate holes. I glued the lever and pin together then misted the pieces with some Rustoleum matte brown. To achieve the chipped chrome look, I used a paint brush to apply some Rustoleum bright metallic in places approximating what I can see in the reference material.
229af97fc7978f19233720fde8b427f4.jpg
7a8879e0f742d4d98f3d388c196f782e.jpg
114ba662b0da11fe02dc96e342789afc.jpg

Neat! I finally put in an order for a Prusa i3 kit, so maybe I'll get to do one sometime in August!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

More tweaks! This time around I added the set screws on the booster, windvane, and emitter, added the d ring hole to the pommel as well as the hole on the ring above the cubes, and most importantly, reconfigured the booster and clamp spacer into a single piece. Not only that, but I hollowed it out and now the shape can be printed without any support material!

I also took the opportunity to model up an ESB-style edge connector as can be seen on the recently surfaced resin cast sail barge saber.

For better or for worse, I have taken the files off of thingiverse for the time being. I've seen a few too many creeps passing off other people's work as their own to make a quick buck, and until I figure some things out, I am going to be be selective with how I share these files. I'm all about the free exchange of information, but at least give credit where credit is due! If you're interested in the files, shoot me a pm.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170411/16ffdddb1503b882689334220be57bc9.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170411/9e3dcb77e6add4ec42387ca978cb7059.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170411/7cce34eb4edabe99639636fe2418b6ba.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170411/77aedfc45f25bbacf307f68f2a420f66.jpg

I took the files down on purpose. I'm tweaking a few final details and then figuring out how I want to disseminate the files. Just got a new printer a couple of days ago and am starting to learn its ins and outs. Once I get my Vader energizer commercial saber run underway, I'll get back to this one.

I really want to print this. If it’s alright with MCM can somebody share an old version of the files with me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took the files down on purpose. I'm tweaking a few final details and then figuring out how I want to disseminate the files.

Any chance you'll be posting these back up? I've been printing out several sabers for my collection, and saw this thread and am massively impressed with your results! I want to print one too. Beautiful work!

Any chance you'll be posting these back up? I've been printing out several sabers for my collection, and saw this thread and am massively impressed with your results! I want to print one too. Beautiful work!

I’m interested as well, especially the v2 you showed a while back. I understand you’re finishing it up and perfecting the design but my 3D printer is coming soon and I’d love for this to be my first print!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back