Group Tele-Build: Luke/Obi-Wan Shared Stunt 3D printed saber: NEW FILES post #77!

MCM

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
The Shared Stunt has always held a special place in my heart. Having grown up in the 90s (aka the pre-prequel days), for a good chunk of time I considered this to *be* Luke's ROTJ saber. All of the toys and Luke merchandise of the era used this saber as their basis. Even the SW Visual Dictionary has pic of this saber clearly labeled "Luke Skywalker's Second Lightsaber", and to my adolescent brain, the visual dictionary was gospel truth!

partsofswcollage.png(photos from partsofsw.com)

I recently purchased an Obi-Wan ANH 3D printed saber kit from @Valcrow and had an absolute blast assembling and painting it. IMAG0475.jpg I've been itching to do another project like this, so I've been boning up on my sketchup skills and have invested in a 3D printer. Using whatever photo reference I could scrape together, I used a Graflex clamp to figure out the scale and dimensions and consulted my Starkiller V2 for inspiration wherever the photos couldn't provide to construct a 3D printable Shared Stunt. Here's what I've got so far:
exploded.png1.pngfront.png2.pngarranged for printing.png

I've designed the pieces to be small enough to print on even the most compact desktop printers. They interlock with simple shapes, the idea being that the parts would be glued or epoxied together to make a finished display or cosplay piece. I plan to use a replica Graflex clamp (tcss in this case), actual d-ring (wanna wanga if I can't find a suitable ring at my local hardware store), and may or may not use actual set screws and fender washer to finish the piece. Aside from the washer on the emitter, I haven't modeled any of those parts, though I suppose I could if demand is high enough. I've yet to figure out what to do about the clamp card.

What I'd like to do is get a "tele-group build" going on. I'd like to get input on the design, finalize it, then make the STL files available free to download. I'd then get a sign up list going on with a cutoff date. Over a period of time, we'd approach each stage of the build (perhaps a week for each step?) and share our techniques and results with the intention of ending up with completed sabers. Some things that might be involved could be:

- using filler primer (or other 3D print finishing product), spot filler, and sanding to smooth the printed parts
- drilling holes for the d-ring, set screws, and additional clamp holes
- using easily available rattle can primer and paint plus masking techniques to paint the saber
- applying aluminum or chrome tape to sections of the saber like on the original

I think this could be great fun. So... who's in?

Last edited:
Re: Group Tele-Build: Luke/Obi-Wan Shared Stunt 3D printed lightsaber

I have a printer. It's got a relatively small build platform and I can only print in PLA, however, I've had really good results and I'd be interested in participating.

I'm game. Sounds like a fun project! In the old days of the RPF this would have been called an "Active Project." :)

Since you don't seem to be selling anything (good on you!), this might be better off in the Star Wars forum, btw. Might get more eyes on it.

I'm game. Sounds like a fun project! In the old days of the RPF this would have been called an "Active Project." :)

Since you don't seem to be selling anything (good on you!), this might be better off in the Star Wars forum, btw. Might get more eyes on it.
I had originally posted this there but then it got deleted and I was told to put it here :unsure, but I'm glad to hear that you're in!

IMAG0510.jpg
I've been doing some prototyping while figuring out optimal print settings. The connections between each of the pieces definitely need to be tweaked. As it stands, there would be way too much cleanup involved to get the parts to fit together and why spend time cleaning up parts that you'll never see? Also, How do the dimensions and proportions look to y'all? Is there anything I should change?

I've noticed when printing round pins that I always have to scale them down just a bit in the X and Y dimensions to get them to fit in a non-permanent manner (the holes themselves usually seem ok dimensionally), but maybe that's just my printer. Is it mainly the emitter section where you're having trouble?

Oh and is that printer doing ABS or PLA?

So far they look like lightsaber parts! ;) And the base models look good so far too - the only thing I might tweak ever so slightly is the grip ring widths. Maybe it is personal preference clouding my vision but when looking at the originals I never see quite as much variation in thickness of the silver portion as some "uneven rings" replicas have. For example, check out the original V2 and SS pics below... there is not quite so much of a difference in the ring width as in your model. It is mainly the 3rd and 5th (from base) rings that seem just a hair too narrow on your model:

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=1862&p=3625305&viewfull=1#post3625305

http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=468806&d=1429906661

And same with the sibling... there's a fair amount of variation in the width and depth of the black sections of the grip (which I see you have in your model, nice!), but the silver rings are somewhat more consistent:

storicVisitOriginalPropBlog069-vi.jpg

rotjsaber-vi.jpg

E Williams, I have the EXACT same problems when printing round pins. They are ALWAYS too big, even when the holes they slot into measure accurately.

I've noticed when printing round pins that I always have to scale them down just a bit in the X and Y dimensions to get them to fit in a non-permanent manner (the holes themselves usually seem ok dimensionally), but maybe that's just my printer. Is it mainly the emitter section where you're having trouble?

Oh and is that printer doing ABS or PLA?

So far they look like lightsaber parts! ;) And the base models look good so far too - the only thing I might tweak ever so slightly is the grip ring widths. Maybe it is personal preference clouding my vision but when looking at the originals I never see quite as much variation in thickness of the silver portion as some "uneven rings" replicas have. For example, check out the original V2 and SS pics below... there is not quite so much of a difference in the ring width as in your model. It is mainly the 3rd and 5th (from base) rings that seem just a hair too narrow on your model:

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=1862&p=3625305&viewfull=1#post3625305

And same with the sibling... there's a fair amount of variation in the width and depth of the black sections of the grip (which I see you have in your model, nice!), but the silver rings are somewhat more consistent:

View attachment 633929

View attachment 633930

Yeah, I'm definitely going to have to change the size relationships between the pegs and holes, or even come up with a different joining shape altogether. I was thinking something a bit more conical instead of cylindrical/rectangular. I may even experiment with some twist-lock designs, which would theoretically make it field-strippable (although I'm really only interested in a static piece. What say y'all?).

As for the ring widths, I was thinking myself that some of the skinny guys might be too skinny. I'll makes some adjustments this weekend.

The material I'm printing with is PLA. I've never really printed with ABS before, but I definitely want to try it. I've heard good things about PETG filament, too, in that's it's as easy to work with as PLA, as rugged as ABS, and apparently prints transparent colors quite nicely.

prototypes.jpg

I didn't really get a chance to adjust the ring dimensions this weekend like I had originally planned. I instead found myself spending a lot of time trying to perfect a twist-lock mechanism. After 6 prototypes, I finally got a design that works! I ended up separating the booster from the clamp section while I was at it (in my original draft they were conjoined).

IMAG0514.jpgIMAG0515.jpgIMAG0516.jpgIMAG0517.jpg

booster and clamp twist lock1.pngbooster and clamp twist lock2.pngbooster and clamp twist lock3.png

So I'm going to go forth with the field-strippable design. Of course one could always glue the parts together for added stability (which I plan on doing).

I'm hoping to get the design finalized for a July 1st-ish launch date. How does that sound?

Awesome! The ability to disassemble it is one of the things I love about Valcrow's Obi-wan design. Nice work :)

I had originally posted this there but then it got deleted and I was told to put it here :unsure, but I'm glad to hear that you're in!
The original thread didn't mention that the file was going to be made available for free so it pretty much looked like an interest thread (heck, a member even made an "interested depending on price" post, so it wasn't just the staff that thought so... :lol). Anyway, since this is a group build (great idea btw) and nothing is going to be offered for sale, it can stay here. :thumbsup

Excellent work so far, definitely intetested to play along. Also have a valcrow obi-wan (the simple version) and had a great time with it.

FWIW, I think you're pretty close on the rings. Model looks great.

V2 STRIPES 2.jpg

FWIW, I think you're pretty close on the rings. Model looks great.

View attachment 635231

I appreciate the compliments! I did actually end up adjusting the 3rd and 5th rings from the bottom to be a bit wider. Here are the results:
adjusted rings.png

I've added twist-locks to everything that won't be held together with a set screw; the pommel/booster, emitter, and windvane each have set screws that hold them in place. I plan to drill and tap threads to use actual set screws. Would anyone have an inkling as to which sizes to use for each piece?
twistlock exploded.pngtwistlock xray.png

I managed to get the first full prototype printed this past week. Overall I'm pretty happy. I've actually tweaked the windvane/emitter area since these pics were taken in order to get a bit better print fidelity. I was in the middle of printing the last piece for the revised assembly when my printer jammed up :facepalm :angry :cry. Needless to say, I won't be able to finalize the designs until I can get my printer up and running again, but I can still press forward with other preliminary measures.

100MEDIA$IMAG05251.jpg100MEDIA$IMAG05241.jpgIMAG0527.jpg

As I mentioned earlier, I plan on using quite a bit of actual hardware on my personal saber, including (but not limited to):
- TCSS replica Graflex clamp
- Actual set screws (still need to determine the sizes on those)
- D-ring
- Washer for emitter end (if I can determine the right size)

What I need to know is if I should model any of those pieces to be printable for y'all. Similarly, I plan on drilling holes in my saber, but I can add the holes to model, too. The reason I don't want to print the holes on my personal model is that they seem to mess with the print fidelity in the areas adjacent to them (at least on my own printer). Printing without the holes gives cleaner results, so there would be slightly less finishing work involved. However, I can add them no problem if that's the consensus.

Looking great, nice work!

I'd prefer no holes in the printed pieces, I've experienced the print fidelity you mention, don't think the having holes printed is worth it. Also dig the idea of mixing with actual hardware, if you figure out what set screw and washer size, that would be awesome (does that include the knurled cone-nut greeblie on the handle?).

Clamp is not a big deal for me, I have one modeled already. It's just a tinkercad file, but if you think it would help I'm more than happy to send it to you.

Great stuff, can't wait to get underway :) Thanks so much for sharing - and good luck with your printer!

I'd agree with not adding full size holes... though I might suggest modeling in a very small hole (<1 mm?) to act as a pilot for drilling out the set screw holes. Having that hole there would force the printer to create walls all the way through the part in that area, so that there's something for the set screw to actually bite into rather than just the hollow fill. And having the printed hole be smaller should minimize surface finish issues.

I'm also planning to use a metal clamp, but the printable clamp on Valcrow's might be close enough to use for those that don't have them.

I went ahead and started modeling out a clamp section that one could print instead of the blank clamp spacer section. It utilizes the same twistlock mechanism so it's completely interchangeable.

graflex clamp holes one piece.pnggraflex clamp holes one piece 2.png

I can't seem to find any good reference material for the side opposite of the clamp lever assembly. These blueprints (the accuracy of which is alrightish, I suppose) indicate that there is a 3rd hole drilled into the back of the clamp:
LUKE_STUNT_EP6.jpg
Is this true? This picture offers the best shot that I can come up with:

storicVisitOriginalPropBlog069-vi.jpg

It almost looks as if there is a wood screw or something holding the clamp in place. Paging Sym-Cha, you always seems to have great reference photos :D. Any chance that you've got a shot of the back side of this dude? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

This is a very cool idea! Nice work with the twist lock mechanism!

I went ahead and started modeling out a clamp section that one could print instead of the blank clamp spacer section. It utilizes the same twistlock mechanism so it's completely interchangeable.

View attachment 636891View attachment 636893

I can't seem to find any good reference material for the side opposite of the clamp lever assembly. These blueprints (the accuracy of which is alrightish, I suppose) indicate that there is a 3rd hole drilled into the back of the clamp:
View attachment 636895
Is this true? This picture offers the best shot that I can come up with:

View attachment 636897

It almost looks as if there is a wood screw or something holding the clamp in place. Paging @Sym-Cha, you always seems to have great reference photos :D. Any chance that you've got a shot of the back side of this dude? Thanks!

Nah those are places where the metallic tape has peeled away. We thought they were holes in the clamp for the longest time. You can see a copper-y discoloration around the rip facing the camera and the one on the back of the saber.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back