Group Tele-Build: Luke/Obi-Wan Shared Stunt 3D printed saber: NEW FILES post #77!

Re: Group Tele-Build: Luke/Obi-Wan Shared Stunt 3D printed saber: 1st video post #56!

To me the 'nipple' on the V2 emitter looks like a separate piece - sort of a collar on the steel rod that might hold in place the emitter section. That would explain why there is a groove around it that is the same diameter as the hole on the Shared Stunt (and why it is so cleanly removed/bored out on the Shared Stunt). Just my guess though as I've not seen this theory advanced by anyone else ).

We were just discussing this. I actually asked Dan make that adjustment on his last run as well as adding the extra hole on the emitter lip.

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=266646

Re: Group Tele-Build: Luke/Obi-Wan Shared Stunt 3D printed saber: 1st video post #56!

did he? That was news to me during that thread :lol

No, they were not adjusted for this, and I'm not quite sure how you could keep the nipple centered like we see it.

Last edited:

We were just discussing this. I actually asked Dan make that adjustment on his last run as well as adding the extra hole on the emitter lip.

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=266646

Oh cool, I totally missed that thread! I have a V2 from the first run so wasn't closely following the newer run thread either. Good to know I'm not crazy then :)

Wow, sorry things have gotten so off track, guys! Moving turned out to be way more involved than I thought! Plus on top of that, fiance got a new job and the dog developed some separation anxiety problems. Needless to say, my hands have been full, but things are finally getting settled down. I ought to have something resembling a work station this week and then things will be moving forward again.

Little update here. Got the bulk of it painted - need to do the black on the grip section. That copper bleed on the emitter end will be covered by aluminum tape. Added some holes and a divot on the pommel end and need to do the same for the other end before adding the tape.

29570996363_61749cac0d_c.jpg

Just realized I mispainted the underside of the "windvane" part - should be black up to the largest diameter section of that part but i have it silver on the underside. Will be a quick thing to fix :)

That saber is looking great! I really dig the clamp. Excellent work!

Thanks guys! Oh I can't take credit for the clamp - it's one of Roman's.

Beautiful. It looks so smooth. Is your silver rattlecan or airbrush? What brand?

Little update here. Got the bulk of it painted - need to do the black on the grip section. That copper bleed on the emitter end will be covered by aluminum tape. Added some holes and a divot on the pommel end and need to do the same for the other end before adding the tape.

https://c4.staticflickr.com/6/5235/29570996363_61749cac0d_c.jpg

Just realized I mispainted the underside of the "windvane" part - should be black up to the largest diameter section of that part but i have it silver on the underside. Will be a quick thing to fix :)

Wow, that looks AWESOME ! I'm 3D printerless, I've got to figure out where/how get one printed or hire someone to print it for me.

Beautiful. It looks so smooth. Is your silver rattlecan or airbrush? What brand?

Thanks! It's all rattle can - the silver is Dupli-color BFM0226 Silver in thin coats over the Dupli-color black primer (just enough to where you can't clearly see the primer). I've used that combo on a number of props for a weathered aluminum look since it can be handled without dulling, though it wouldn't be mistaken for metal in person. It goes on very thin and smooth so you just have to make sure the base primer coat is sanded down well.

Initially I tried applying the silver over a gloss black Krylon, thinking it would help sell a metal look even more as with Alclad chrome, but that didn't work out either due to weather or lacquer over enamel (probably the latter). I had to sand it smooth and do a layer of Dupli-color black for a proper base.

The exposed black areas are Krylon semi-flat black -- enamel can go over lacquer easily, but the other way around is trickier.

Looks amazing! I can't wait to print my own. How will you paint the parts black on the grip section?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Started printing last night. After resolving a y axis issue, I can say that the model is super cool and well done.

Here are a couple of the parts. (Looks cool for a kid sized saber!)

31b612418aff1a0cbbd86702e8969264.jpg

Thanks for sharing!
Brian

Alright, so my life got totally hectic (in the best way possible - getting married and moving to a new place take up lots of time and energy), and this project got pushed way beyond the back burner. I got a new printer recently, an Ultimaker 2 Go, and so I've finally been able to get back to work!

I've made some revisions to the design after a bit of reflection and brainstorming. Actually, just about every piece has been tweaked in some way or another. Here's what I've got now:
9a777ce2487a4828c77b0e872812d007.jpg
cc545a87b3fb949cefc2964956b823a4.jpg
ac5ab4b5bcd0f17c401270d25a5fb134.jpg

From top to bottom, the changes are:
1. Shorter booster. I shaved a couple mil in length. I think it looks better proportionally, now.

2. Added 3rd round hole to graflex clamp. I finally was able to see some shots of the back side of the clamp and, yes, that rumored 3rd hole is there! I also made the clamp a separate piece instead of being attached to the clamp spacer. I'm still tinkering with print settings to get to best finish, but I really like having a separate printable clamp. It also makes it way easier to upgrade to a real clamp if you decide to glue the pieces together.

I added the rectangular nut underneath the clamp lever. I also altered the pin so that it pressure fits into the clamp side bar; the clamp totally keeps itself closed without the need for glue.
b559398cba08e14676340254da9d8ea3.jpg
640b1b4439a427ba0364d76690e2d06d.jpg
57e3400297c8813b23521a38e9aa0ddc.jpg
a50823816f5d743117ab3e8ea2693709.jpg

3. Adjusted grenade ring widths. I also changed the top twist lock connector from female to male.

4. Totally changed the windvane/rod. The grenade stem now has a female twist lock with the windvane sliding over the stem. The rod that the emitter slides onto has now been incorporated into this piece instead of being separate.
970dc240a295f3d0360e7935f844a01d.jpg
c6a90135cdd268913ebe1e1fe6bfe870.jpg

5. The emitter and "washer" have been combined into one piece. I also reduced the inner diameter ever so slightly.

0fc382817ef13740e68d431358ea6532.jpg

I'll upload the latest models within the next day or so. What I really like about this design now is that, once the set screws are installed, there is no need for any glue to hold the pieces together! Everything either twist locks, pressure fits, or is held in place by a screw. I'll get back to the vids, too. I'm probably just going to reboot the series based on the revised model.

[emoji41]

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

I love watching this thread

The new updated files are available to download here:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1679814

I'm hoping to (finally!) finish up my build, but with your new printable clamp instead of a Roman version. Drilling a metal clamp is tricky, and since it will be covered by aluminum tape anyway, why not print it. I did a test print and it fits perfectly on the parts I've done so far... Awesome job modeling it!

Could I persuade you to post the clamp and side bars as separate parts? I want to use an extra lever and side bar I have (leftover from building a V2)... that aside, printing side bars separately would also help their ends print more cleanly since they could be laid flat on the printer bed, rather than upended. Thank you!

Thanks for the kind words! I could do that. I actually want to do one more tweak to the lever; Making the side bars separate shouldn't be too difficult. I could improve the shape of them while I'm at it to make them a bit more accurate. I've actually made a few more revisions since I posted the last update. I can sympathize with George, hahaha! Namely, I flattened the bottom bevel of the windvane flange so that it can print perfectly flat on the print bed. Unless you know what to look for, you won't even notice and the print fidelity benefits from it.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back