Group Tele-Build: Luke/Obi-Wan Shared Stunt 3D printed saber: NEW FILES post #77!

Re: Group Tele-Build: Luke/Obi-Wan Shared Stunt 3D printed saber: STL files on post

IMG_1377.JPG

All of my parts are printed and ready to assemble! Hopefully I can get the printing video edited and uploaded this week. These parts were printed with the specs outlined above, and they turned out well.

Have any of y'all started printing yet? Please let me know if you run into any snags or anything. And, please, don't be afraid to share some pics!

Re: Group Tele-Build: Luke/Obi-Wan Shared Stunt 3D printed saber: STL files on post

View attachment 647036

All of my parts are printed and ready to assemble! Hopefully I can get the printing video edited and uploaded this week. These parts were printed with the specs outlined above, and they turned out well.

Have any of y'all started printing yet? Please let me know if you run into any snags or anything. And, please, don't be afraid to share some pics!

Thank You for the file! I will give it a go this weekend with PLA. I'll let you know how it goes for me. Do you recommend supports?

Thank You for the file! I will give it a go this weekend with PLA. I'll let you know how it goes for me. Do you recommend supports?
I printed each part with a brim, if only because sometimes the extruder hiccups when initially laying down the perimeter of an object; by the time the printer is done with the brim, the PLA is flowing like... something that flows well. I used a bit of support material on the emitter, grenade, booster, and clamp spacer sections, but probably only the emitter and booster really need it. In those cases, I selected the "touching buildplate" option in Cura for the support material.

Since you're printing this out, mind if I add your name to the list of builders?

I printed each part with a brim, if only because sometimes the extruder hiccups when initially laying down the perimeter of an object; by the time the printer is done with the brim, the PLA is flowing like... something that flows well. I used a bit of support material on the emitter, grenade, booster, and clamp spacer sections, but probably only the emitter and booster really need it. In those cases, I selected the "touching buildplate" option in Cura for the support material.

Since you're printing this out, mind if I add your name to the list of builders?

Sure! I'll be giving it a try on a Forge Finder @ .15 mm resolution. Estimate is at 15 hours total time for me. I'll post pics as soon as I am done.

I don't have a 3D printer, but I sure wish I did, now!

I'm excited to see the finished products!

I don't have a 3D printer, but I sure wish I did, now!

I'm excited to see the finished products!
You could always upload the STL files to 3dhubs.com and find someone local to print it for you. Before I got my own printer, that's how I got a few pieces made, and the experiences were always positive.

I'll download this weekend snd print this week. I use 3d hubs which hookedme up with a printer who is local and friendly, i can pick up st his place, i recommend giving it a try if you dont have your own printer

My printer is chuggin along. Had to redo a few pieces because it had been a while since the last bed calibration so the pieces were coming out a bit skewed.

Here is my print.
Flash Forge Finder - PLA @ .15 mm
Raft: Yes
Support: Some parts

Had to reprint clamp pin in a horizontal position. Vertical print broke, was to brittle.
Had to reprint rod a little thinner, 97% but kept same length. Still fitting tightly, but nothing sanding didn't fix. It looks dirty because it got stuck with emitter top and had to pull of with pliers. Broke it too when I forced it out :facepalm . Had to glue it, since it's not visible, that won't be a problem.
Oh, and the pommel, doesn't fit into bottom section for me. This one will need heavy sanding around the fitting to properly fit. I should've printed a tad thinner to avoid the extra work :lol. But again, nothing sanding won't fix.

I recommend printing the clamp lever with the angled section flat to the bed, and adding supports for the rest of it. I printed it vertically, with the angled section towards the top, bit it came out to thin. Any slight rough touch towards the tip and it will break.

Overall, it's a beautiful design. Love the locking mechanism designed into it. It works perfectly. I wish more sabers are designed like this. I cannot thank you enough MCM for this file. I love it!!!

20160724_163127.jpg20160724_163311.jpg

Here is my print.
Flash Forge Finder - PLA @ .15 mm
Raft: Yes
Support: Some parts

Had to reprint clamp pin in a horizontal position. Vertical print broke, was to brittle.
Had to reprint rod a little thinner, 97% but kept same length. Still fitting tightly, but nothing sanding didn't fix. It looks dirty because it got stuck with emitter top and had to pull of with pliers. Broke it too when I forced it out :facepalm . Had to glue it, since it's not visible, that won't be a problem.
Oh, and the pommel, doesn't fit into bottom section for me. This one will need heavy sanding around the fitting to properly fit. I should've printed a tad thinner to avoid the extra work :lol. But again, nothing sanding won't fix.

I recommend printing the clamp lever with the angled section flat to the bed, and adding supports for the rest of it. I printed it vertically, with the angled section towards the top, bit it came out to thin. Any slight rough touch towards the tip and it will break.

Overall, it's a beautiful design. Love the locking mechanism designed into it. It works perfectly. I wish more sabers are designed like this. I cannot thank you enough MCM for this file. I love it!!!

View attachment 647512View attachment 647513

Those parts turned out beautifully! It's such a rush to see something that I designed on my computer made physical without the 2 of us ever having met. I'm glad that overall the experience has been positive. I, too, noticed that the rod was a little snug in my emitter but fit through the windvane parts well enough. I actually ended up using a rubber mallet to get the rod the right depth into the emitter. I was planning on sanding the rod before hand, but my eagerness got the better of me so the rod and emitter are more-or-less one piece. Interestingly enough, at one point one my drafts had the rod and emitter as one piece but the rod kept snapping off. Having the rod embedded in the emitter makes it much more secure.

I'm fine with the pressure fit of the rod, but if the demand is there, I can alter the STL files to make the interior of the emitter ever-so-slightly larger to better accommodate the rod.

That's interesting about the clamp lever, but every printer has its own idiosyncrasies. I just printed my second set of clamp greeblies (lever, pin, card) and had them all oriented vertically no problem. But this is exactly the kind of info you should be sharing! Do you know how big your nozzel is? How thick do you have the outside walls and what are your infill settings?

As far as the pommel not fitting, did you clear out all of the support material in the booster? At first, my pommel refused to go in, but then I noticed a little "lip" leftover from the support material. I was able to chisel off the lip with a flat-head eyeglass screw driver (the absolute best tool for removing support material imho) and the pommel fit perfectly. If that isn't the problem, wrapping some sandpaper around the top cylinder of the pommel and giving it a few twists ought to make things right.

I'm printing in ABS and the emitter rod ended up fitting just fine without sanding (maybe even a little loose) so the dimensions of the parts as they are now might be a good average for different printers. Pommel has a good loose friction fit that will tighten up after paint. It's funny since I usually have to fiddle with scaling a bit to get parts like that loose enough to not be a permanent assembly.

I noticed the circuit card is a little tight in the printed clamp, but seems just right in a metal clamp.

Very nice job with the design of the files! All of the twist lock pieces work really well :)

Those parts turned out beautifully! It's such a rush to see something that I designed on my computer made physical without the 2 of us ever having met. I'm glad that overall the experience has been positive. I, too, noticed that the rod was a little snug in my emitter but fit through the windvane parts well enough. I actually ended up using a rubber mallet to get the rod the right depth into the emitter. I was planning on sanding the rod before hand, but my eagerness got the better of me so the rod and emitter are more-or-less one piece. Interestingly enough, at one point one my drafts had the rod and emitter as one piece but the rod kept snapping off. Having the rod embedded in the emitter makes it much more secure.

I'm fine with the pressure fit of the rod, but if the demand is there, I can alter the STL files to make the interior of the emitter ever-so-slightly larger to better accommodate the rod.

That's interesting about the clamp lever, but every printer has its own idiosyncrasies. I just printed my second set of clamp greeblies (lever, pin, card) and had them all oriented vertically no problem. But this is exactly the kind of info you should be sharing! Do you know how big your nozzel is? How thick do you have the outside walls and what are your infill settings?

As far as the pommel not fitting, did you clear out all of the support material in the booster? At first, my pommel refused to go in, but then I noticed a little "lip" leftover from the support material. I was able to chisel off the lip with a flat-head eyeglass screw driver (the absolute best tool for removing support material imho) and the pommel fit perfectly. If that isn't the problem, wrapping some sandpaper around the top cylinder of the pommel and giving it a few twists ought to make things right.

Yeah, it is cool how much can be achieved digitally!

I'm using a .4 mm nozzle. For infill, I left it at 20% hexagon pattern and for the walls, I believe I left the default setting. Being a complete noob, I have not really messed around with the settings. But it is something I will try in the near future. I did notice though in my printer, raft's stick too much to the prints. However, not all prints stick well with out it. Also, treelike support works much better for me than linear. It's a major headache to remove linear. I put the exacto knife to heave use when using linear support.

But back to the print, other than having adhesion issues in the beginning, due to not using raft, the print was a great success with no warping or drooping.
The top final layers, when closing the print seem to be to thin. I believe it's my settings. The factory program, well it's not the greatest. My pommel, just won't fit. I removed everything completely around the edges of both fittings, but it seems to have printed female end too reduced or male end too wide. Idk, but once I buy sandpaper I know it will work. If not, I'll just give it another print with a little thinning. There's no need to change the print, as it seems to be working with others - especially ABS. Maybe abs shrinks a little once cooled or PLA expands. Idk, complete noob here.
I do have one question, why was the final ring separated from the emitter? Just out of curiosity :lol. I don't know nothing about design, maybe it wouldn't print right?

If you do ever design other that you'd like to share, I would definitely love to give them a try. I love how this one came out, but with my kindergarten painting skills, well I'm afraid to mess it up. But, I'll still give it try!

Yeah, it is cool how much can be achieved digitally!

I'm using a .4 mm nozzle. For infill, I left it at 20% hexagon pattern and for the walls, I believe I left the default setting. Being a complete noob, I have not really messed around with the settings. But it is something I will try in the near future. I did notice though in my printer, raft's stick too much to the prints. However, not all prints stick well with out it. Also, treelike support works much better for me than linear. It's a major headache to remove linear. I put the exacto knife to heave use when using linear support.

But back to the print, other than having adhesion issues in the beginning, due to not using raft, the print was a great success with no warping or drooping.
The top final layers, when closing the print seem to be to thin. I believe it's my settings. The factory program, well it's not the greatest. My pommel, just won't fit. I removed everything completely around the edges of both fittings, but it seems to have printed female end too reduced or male end too wide. Idk, but once I buy sandpaper I know it will work. If not, I'll just give it another print with a little thinning. There's no need to change the print, as it seems to be working with others - especially ABS. Maybe abs shrinks a little once cooled or PLA expands. Idk, complete noob here.
I do have one question, why was the final ring separated from the emitter? Just out of curiosity :lol. I don't know nothing about design, maybe it wouldn't print right?

If you do ever design other that you'd like to share, I would definitely love to give them a try. I love how this one came out, but with my kindergarten painting skills, well I'm afraid to mess it up. But, I'll still give it try!

I made the last ring separate on the emitter because that's how it is on the original prop. The actual tip of the saber is believed to be a fender washer. The idea is that If you wanted, you could buy an actual washer from a hardware store and glue that on instead. I may or may not use an actual washer on mine; I've yet to decide.

What kind of build plate does your printer have? Mine's got a heated aluminum plate. For adhesion, I'm using blue painter's tape with a bit of glue stick for some extra stick. I've used glass platforms, too, and was a big fan of glue stick on those. I rarely have to use a raft for printing using these methods, which is nice because the print time is shorter, I use less material, and the bottoms of the prints look better when printed directly on the plate.

As far as the top final layers sealing off, that's a setting that you can change in your slicing software. I have my settings set to print the top and bottom layers at 1.2 mm and the top layers are solid :thumbsup

I definitely plan on doing more projects like this. We'll see how this one goes, but I've easily got half a dozen project ideas similar to this that I want to make happen. :cool

I made the last ring separate on the emitter because that's how it is on the original prop. The actual tip of the saber is believed to be a fender washer. The idea is that If you wanted, you could buy an actual washer from a hardware store and glue that on instead. I may or may not use an actual washer on mine; I've yet to decide.

What kind of build plate does your printer have? Mine's got a heated aluminum plate. For adhesion, I'm using blue painter's tape with a bit of glue stick for some extra stick. I've used glass platforms, too, and was a big fan of glue stick on those. I rarely have to use a raft for printing using these methods, which is nice because the print time is shorter, I use less material, and the bottoms of the prints look better when printed directly on the plate.

As far as the top final layers sealing off, that's a setting that you can change in your slicing software. I have my settings set to print the top and bottom layers at 1.2 mm and the top layers are solid :thumbsup

I definitely plan on doing more projects like this. We'll see how this one goes, but I've easily got half a dozen project ideas similar to this that I want to make happen. :cool

Hello,

i have are a non-heated plate, since it only prints PLA. I used blue painters tape also, rubbed with a little alcohol for better adhesion. Lately though, my prints are no longer sticking without raft. I'm using Hatchbox PLA 1.75. I just ordered another brand, Bamtack. I'll be trying that soon. I've never tried a wall, since my build plate is small. 140 mm x 140 mm x 140 mm. It's pretty much an entry level printer. Was saving up for a creator pro, but since I don't know design, I'd figure I wouldn't print much. I know commissioning a design can be a little pricey, so my printing is not often. That's why when you offered it for free, I was so happy I could give it a try!

Ill play with the settings around on small prints, see how that goes.

Hey guys! I'm in the process of editing together the first video on printing the parts. Things have gotten a bit behind schedule (moving to a new house and painting said house take up a lot of spare time!) but I'm still pushing forward. Is every one pleased with their printed parts? My printer broke (again :angry :facepalm) but I shouldn't really be needing it for the rest of the project so that shouldn't hold things up anymore. Expect the video to be up tonight or tomorrow; then I'll begin on actually assembling and finishing this sucka!

Re: Group Tele-Build: Luke/Obi-Wan Shared Stunt 3D printed saber: 1st video post #56!

Was there really a fender washer on the ANH stunt sabers?

Re: Group Tele-Build: Luke/Obi-Wan Shared Stunt 3D printed saber: 1st video post #56!

It reeeeeeeally looks like one on the shared stunt. Not sure about the V2 (the beveled face and whatnot) , but I'll let you be the judge? http://partsofsw.com/ob_luksab.htm

The Shared stunt's emitter face is not the same diameter all the way around. It's been ground unevenly! Most likely to remove the nipple, and apparently up close you can still see bits of black paint in the pitting

It does look like a washer though :lol

I'm not sure, however, why the hole is so wide. the Nipple is as wide as the rod sticking into the neck.

I'm not sure, however, why the hole is so wide. the Nipple is as wide as the rod sticking into the neck.

To me the 'nipple' on the V2 emitter looks like a separate piece - sort of a collar on the steel rod that might hold in place the emitter section. That would explain why there is a groove around it that is the same diameter as the hole on the Shared Stunt (and why it is so cleanly removed/bored out on the Shared Stunt). Just my guess though as I've not seen this theory advanced by anyone else :)

I had to set this project aside during a recent spell of rainy weather, but I'm back on it. Here's how it looked a month ago before a final round of filler primer and sanding:

29547846072_9b8afb11e2_b.jpg

And painted gloss black in preparation for a silver topcoat:
29547852302_084434c805_b.jpg

I started painting the silver last night but unfortunately waited until too late in the day, and the dropping temperature/rising humidity made the paint go on weird and haze up. So I will probably wet sand that and try it again when I get a day with warmer/dryer weather... doh.

Also, I doubled the thickness of my emitter "washer" as I felt the original model was too thin, and wanted to get the thickness closer to the V2, but doubling it was just too much. I might re-print it with the thickness increased by just 50%. I was unable to find any fender washers in the right size - not sure they exist in big box hardware stores at least (there are some close).

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back