Need advice: How to soften very old leather

temponaut

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I've got a couple of old leather items I would like to revitalize, and I'd like to ask the advice of the experts on the RPF with regard to what products would work best.

One of the items is the leather straps and handle of a Dickel Tennessee Whiskey bottle (the type that was used on Star Trek: TOS as the bottle for Saurian brandy). This leather is about 40 years old.

The other item is a pair of authentic, unissued Kamikaze pilot's gloves that my father-in-law bought at a black market in Tokyo shortly after the end of WWII. This leather is over 60 years old.

Both the Dickel straps (man, that sounds funny :p) and the gloves are hard, brittle, and cracking in some places. But both items are unused and otherwise in mint condition.

Is there some kind of oil or other product that might make these pieces supple again and bring them back to life?

Can anyone give me some advice? All suggestions gratefully received! :)

I used baseball glove conditioning oil. I used it on several gloves from the 1920's and it worked great. I also used it on an old pair of hockey gloves. I do not know about restoring in your case. The items I used it on were for using everyday. Sorry I couldn't be more help. I would call a leather store.

Thanks!

Greg

Yep - PECARDS is the way to go... they have a product called: Antique Leather Care which they claim is: The ONLY product you should use for your older leathers (http://www.pecard.com/store.php?crn=207). Lots of the guys that are into collecting vinatage/WWII flight-jackets/moto-jackets swear by the stuff.

I use Pecard's leather conditioner on all my leather stuff; shoes, holsters, whip and bag strap.

Here's their home website http://www.pecard.com/en-us/dept_13.html

The stuff works great for reconditioning old and brand new leather.

-Fred

Thank you very much for the quick and detailed responses, everybody. Lots of very helpful information all around, right down to a specific product recommendation. I'm grateful for all of your comments and the links. :thumbsup

My next step will be to shoot Pecard's an inquiry and, in the meantime, seek out a local leather shop as Gman suggested.

Many thanks again for all your ideas. If anyone else has further advice, please don't hesitate to add it. :)

Neatsfoot oil.

i am currently prepping my Saurian Brandy bottle, and it has brought the 50 year old leather back, supple as can be.

hard to believe it's already a half century old. (The bottle, the show's still got a few more years ). TOS doesn't seem that long ago.

I used good old-fashioned Dubbin on my re-enactment gear. Not only does it make leather soft and supple, it waterproofs it as well.

Neatsfoot oil.

I used good old-fashioned Dubbin on my re-enactment gear.
Not only does it make leather soft and supple, it waterproofs it as well.

Guys, this thread is 6-1/2 years old.

Old or not, the additions are still useful.
I have a couple of WWII ammo pouches I'd like to clean and soften;
I'm going to look into some of these products.

Mike
My Firefly/Serenity Collection:
SerenityMovie.net :: View topic - Firefly/Serenity Weapons Collection

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back