MPC Millennium Falcon Upgrade Kit Mk.II, HH

cool stuff, thanks for the info and the tip. Vallejo chipping medium, huh? I'll have to stop by my hobby joint and ask about that. I've tried the rock salt method but no worky so good. then there's the hair spray thing, havn't tried that yet. sounds like I also need to check out Demzo and Fitchenfoo as well. can't thank you enough for the info my friend, most kind.
I did order the quads, and a set of the rear upper greeb plates as I haven't done those yet. probably won't get till next week at this point but there's plenty else to do, this build is just getting started.
have a good one and thanks again, I appreciate it!!

Hey there Friend,
As far as investments go, I won't be spending much more on this thing LOL! About the wash on this in particular, I used "Ammo of Migs panel line wash - Blue Dirt". Primer coat is Vallejo Surface Primer Black and Base coat is Tamyia AS-20 Insignia White (spray Can). For the various hull paint colors I've used various Tamyia colors (so far). Next I'll do the paint chipping effects. I've got a bottle of Valllejo's "Chipping Medium" that I'm dying to try out.
Youtube, Heck Yeah! I've watched Steve demzo's "Paint the Millennium Falcon" from Model-Space and Fitchenfoo's paint tutorials I don't know how many times.
Thanks for the kind words, have a great afternoon and Happy model building!

almost ready to primer shoot the lower, hull separation tube that I saw another guy doing. fattens up the center. he had made his 6.6cm tall, but that required cutting out and repositioning the "hall way" sections of the docking collars...a bit more work than I wanted to do. so I shortened mine up finally to 5.7cm, then pulled it all together with tape a rubber bands, then hit it with the wife's hair dryer in a circular motion top and bottom till the pieces bent down.
bottom shot is the added ESB landing gear which I feel makes the YT-1300 look more substantial. with only 3 ANH landing gear, it looks a bit fragile. IMO

I should have used a flash with the landing gear pic so the inner well greebs could be seen better, but all the hoses do go to something, junctions and feed blocks, etc. not screen accurate obviously as I was unable to find any pics anywhere...so I winged it. looks good enough for who it's for right...
I did also figure out the on all these I've done, I've installed the front center landing gear with the thin ram to the rear...wrong position, right. you'd think on the 5th one a guy would see that in the instructions...duh. but, I like the way it looks as I've done them and again...good enough for who it's for lower hull 1.JPGlower hull 2.JPGlanding gear frt ctr 1.JPGlanding gear frt ctr 2.JPGlanding gear rr 1.JPGlanding gear rr 2.JPGbtw, if you're wondering what the all the holes are on the left side of the lower hull that aren't landing light positions, those are for the recordable sound module I like to put in these.

buckey,

you know, I forgot to mention...those fans and screens look awesome as well. looking forward to doing mine. it'll be a first for me doing that procedure

H-O-L-Y CRAP CAKES!!
ok, so I wanted a set to see what they were...Starship Modelers MPC Falcon upgrade set. Dudes, trust me, with HH available DON'T EVEN. Admittedly, they're better than stock mostly by virtue of being the short walls, but detail wise, they're suckin' hind teat. there's like ONE useful piece in here. Its a wedge that you put on the lower hull that meets the cockpit tube to smooth it all out. I scratch made these for the one's I've done before, cut, sand and fit. I'm going to make a cast of it with silicone so I can dupe it. otherwise, there isn't anything in here I'd use on a bird that I cared to look decent. It's a good thing they take stuff back, no Q asked. I'm not even going to post pics, they're that bad. Anyone who uses these, when HH is available...you need counseling. They've also added an unexpected bonus item, the and on ESB landing gear housings, evidently meant for "in flight" as there is no well to them. If you were crafty you could make well boxes, but Shapeways has them and they're nice. I've used them on all of mine. also, the SS modeler housings are too shallow and too narrow.
all in all, if you didn't know any better, you'd think they were great, but otherwise...a no no

JMO and FYI

Well, I just don't know what to think, Everything was going well and I don't know what happened. I'm really embarrassed. I can't, in good conscience, Display or invite friends and family to view this finished model. It turned out horrible. I'm really ashamed at myself. I just don't know where I screwed up so badly. I fell that it is a lost cause. I'm scared to try and take it apart for fear that it will be very damaged in the process at this point. Well, I'l let the pictures speak for themselves. I warn you it will be hard to watch. Haystack, how does that refund policy work?.........005.jpg006.jpg007.jpg008.jpg011.jpg012.jpg010.jpg009.jpg

I just got one thinking there would be something in it I could use...I'm sending it back

Anyone wanna buy my unused blue moon kit?
I'm kidding.

Kinda.....

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

- - - Updated - - -

good lord, what happened there?

The result trying to take apart resin parts that have been cured with JB Weld Pastic-Bond.....and a little frustration......all I'm saying about it.
View attachment 730402

I just got one thinking there would be something in it I could use...I'm sending it back

- - - Updated - - -

good lord, what happened there?
Yeah, I got it before bandai and shapeways. So it's been sitting under my desk along with an AMT cutaway falcon. I won't likely ever touch them.

maint wells 1.JPGmaint wells 2.JPGmaint wells 3.JPGI hate when these go sideways...ugh...
anyway, what I've done with these in all my builds is I put these strings of 20 LED's up each side for the landing lights, landing gear well lights and the maint well lights. I drill holes in the side, the glue thin styrene sheet cuttings over the holes. the light from the LED hits the styrene and lights the hole, looking like work lights for the wells. the upper hull wells get the same, but I make the sheets pieces slightly higher so it picks up residual light from the bottom, thus illuminating the uppers as well. works pretty slick and no need to run fiber optics or LED to the upper hull half. this also work for the ones in the rear upper as well as the mandibles.

gear wells 1.JPGgear wells 2.JPGgear wells 3.JPGthis is the front lower hull wells cut out to go around the add on ESB landing gear, they also get the strategic hole and styrene sheet business

- - - Updated - - -

I heard that, ebay...someone will take them at a reasonable discount I would think. there's always someone who isn't wise to the other stuff yet, and they'll be happy...ignorance is bliss

Yeah, I got it before bandai and shapeways. So it's been sitting under my desk along with an AMT cutaway falcon. I won't likely ever touch them.

Last edited:
ahh, cut aways...the last one I did was a cut away, with short walls, man what a project. way too much work particularly if you're lighting the whole thing. I did all my normal light features and did the interior...I bet I drilled several hundred holes for fiber optics, shorten the interior walls, what a nightmare. Don't think I'll do that again. They can always be built as regulars. I would think one could fashion a bonding strip where the panels separate and make it one piece. But doing the whole thing again, doubt it.

QUOTE=astroboy;4250815]Yeah, I got it before bandai and shapeways. So it's been sitting under my desk along with an AMT cutaway falcon. I won't likely ever touch them.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

here's the monster...View attachment falcon vid 3.MOV
ahh, cut aways...the last one I did was a cut away, with short walls, man what a project. way too much work particularly if you're lighting the whole thing. I did all my normal light features and did the interior...I bet I drilled several hundred holes for fiber optics, shorten the interior walls, what a nightmare. Don't think I'll do that again. They can always be built as regulars. I would think one could fashion a bonding strip where the panels separate and make it one piece. But doing the whole thing again, doubt it.

QUOTE=astroboy;4250815]Yeah, I got it before bandai and shapeways. So it's been sitting under my desk along with an AMT cutaway falcon. I won't likely ever touch them.

[/QUOTE]

I also took another run at the salt method of paint chipping, this time with an air brush. 10 times better results, and this time I took the large grain salt and took a crusher to it some, better variety of sizes. bottom line, you can't do this with a rattle can.paint chipping.JPG also finished the maint wells and added some pipingmaint wells.JPG

Thanks,
and with your pieces it's going to look incredible, But I think Buckey has the edge over me on paint and weathering. I see my 3 sets of PE parts shipped, thanks. This build is going to be really nice and much of that is thanks to you're creation.
Thanks again HH

Looking great!!

Buckey, I did a test fit with one of those, the starship modeler pieces, right? it seems as if it was just a tad too tall with HH sidewalls. nothing that can't be overcome. I've not done a second attempt test fit yet, provided I had it positioned correctly the first time. However, I figured at worst I'd have to lightly "trench" the top and bottom hull pieces where that grille is supposed to sit, just enough for it to sandwich in enough for the contact between the upper hull and the top of the rear quarter walls. the gap I found was small, but enough that it needs to be addressed because I don't see a way to shorten up the grille without major and delicate surgery to it.

Hi Haystack, Here you go - https://www.shapeways.com/product/Y...pc-combo-cabin-cone-cockpit?optionId=56434201
https://www.shapeways.com/product/E...-radar-5-footer-44-mm-w-mount?optionId=621703

Also, I'm gonna attempt to use this for the Aft/Back engine exhaust grill, it's the reduced height egg crate kit from Star ship modeler. Can't remember the exact dimensions. Do you happen to know anything about their parts in relation to the HH miniature parts?

View attachment 726177

- - - Updated - - -

Oops sorry,I was typing this when I realized gt350pony66 basically answered Haystack's question. My Bad......So, Howz it goin'

Buckey, I did a test fit with one of those, the starship modeler pieces, right? it seems as if it was just a tad too tall with HH sidewalls. nothing that can't be overcome. I've not done a second attempt test fit yet, provided I had it positioned correctly the first time. However, I figured at worst I'd have to lightly "trench" the top and bottom hull pieces where that grille is supposed to sit, just enough for it to sandwich in enough for the contact between the upper hull and the top of the rear quarter walls. the gap I found was small, but enough that it needs to be addressed because I don't see a way to shorten up the grille without major and delicate surgery to it.

Well, I've officially abandoned this build, but as far as the small gap goes, I just, well, lived with it. That was the last thing I did before running into total frustration. But it sounds like you build is going fantastic. Keep up the great work.

Seriously? I'm sorry to hear that. It looked as though yours was coming along better than mine, the paint is incredible, and you got your HH pieces...well sometimes you gotta step back from one, they always turn out for crap if your heart ain't in it. I liked swapping info with you brother don't disappear on us. Let us, well me anyway, know what your doing. Hope we hear from you again soon anyway QUOTE=Buckey Goldstar;4254659]Well, I've officially abandoned this build, but as far as the small gap goes, I just, well, lived with it. That was the last thing I did before running into total frustration. But it sounds like you build is going fantastic. Keep up the great work.[/QUOTE]

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back