PropShop announces TFA Props!

In prop replicas business for now we have the long defunct Icons (with its issues) & Master Replicas (the most regretted company in the field), comatose EFX, limbo Anovos, and a freshly dead corpse of PropSho. What a nice bunch ...

In prop replicas business for now we have the long defunct Icons (with its issues) & Master Replicas (the most regretted company in the field), comatose EFX, limbo Anovos, and a freshly dead corpse of PropSho. What a nice bunch ...
Anovos is delivering quite a few products for a company in limbo. They haven't caught up on everything, but they have made good progress lately.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Anovos is delivering quite a few products for a company in limbo. They haven't caught up on everything, but they have made good progress lately.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

They might have woken up now, but what is to be sure they won't go back to sleep in the future. We've seen that before.

Maybe someone internal to Disney's/lucasfilm's dealings of licensing and practices need re-evaluate how they're handling things in relation to companies to produce these kinds of products. I'm not gonna say the aforementioned companies are "innocent" but even to a layman, it's obvious that Disney keeps such a death grip of control that businesses are essentially doomed to fail

But no, that won't happen

Making movie prop replicas should stay in the hands of the experts, the people here.

I agree to an extent, but the caveat is that these prop companies can often or not produce a product using assets from the films.

Point in case with PropShop. The guy who MADE the Kylo Ren helmet for the film expressed that Prop Shop and Anovos share the same 3D Print files for their products....only one (now for sure) is going to be more readily available and while still expensive, it's still not gonna run $2k.

Especially if it's going to be significantly more durable and wearable than the more expensive, fragile 3D printed version that you can stare at occasionally from underneath the blacked out sheet you're gonna have to wrap it in, shoved in a box in the corner of your basement to keep out of sunlight while it progressively disintegrates itself anyways.

But hey! That's an AWESOME giant metal coin and helmet stand you can still display in 3-4 years after the fact, you can keep as a memento to show your grandchildren you threw away a couple thousand on something that fell apart far sooner than a $1 McDonald's hamburger left sitting in the Sun

About molding: If this PS Melted helmet is so light and thin like it looks it will be 90% destroyed when you mold it(with no backing from the inside).But you would have the mold after that and could make lots of copys...but the original would be destroyed.You need to sell 11 copys for 500$ and you have the money for the prop and the mold back.
But you need a really skilled moldmaker to copy this extreme detailed prop exactly.

It could be copied without destroying it, it's just that you're forgetting a step.

Actually they forgot a step when making it it sounds like. I used to make 3d models for Jewelers...we'd build a piece in 3d, then print it, then cast it in a good material, then polish and put stones in. That seems like the step they forgot: cast it. There's really no reason to send the original print out into the world. It just seems silly. I'm not even talking about resin...cast in metal and it will last forever.

But the step you're forgetting is that we can still go back to the well. You can scan items into 3d now and reprint. So instead of molding around their print, you can scan it, reprint and make new molds.

By the way: this is going to be the big copyright nightmare of the new century: how easy it is becoming to completely rip off someone else's creations. However, in this case, I don't think Disney is any real danger. Their lawyers are scarier than any villain they've ever put in their movies.

**Coyly raises hand**

I bought the melted Vader. I'd did my research on the material. I have a really good pal who works on blockbuster films as a prop maker. She told me "after printing it's saturated with an epoxy resin. At that point they basically become an acrylic. All of the stuff we made was then coated with mipa and then top coated. We had prints at work that were untreated and were still fine after 5 years. Most important thing is not to drop it!!"

I keep mine in my hallway which has no direct sunlight but that's a basic action that anyone who's ever bought a piece of art with any perceived value, would do. TBH I'll probably look at getting it scanned to have as some sort of backup.

I don't get the vitriol projected at people like myself that chose to buy them. Regardless of monetary value, everyone perceives value differently and makes a personal choice on how to finance that particular purchase within their means. I'm very frugal with my cash but I'm fairly comfortable so it's not like I turned round and thought - 'hey, I'll throw away $4k because I'm loaded (I'm not).'

For me, I was really taken by the Vader prop, obsessed actually *insert speak no evil monkey emoji*. I was lucky enough to see it on set back in Nov 14 before it was even seen in the teaser. I felt like I was privileged to a big secret. The same day I got chatting to JJ and Kathleen about some projects I have in the pipeline for Disney not to mention watching Mr Ford film picks-up on the Starkiller set. Meeting the costume designer. Seeing the new stormtrooper design for the first time. So for me owning that replica is more than just the prop, it is a momento to probably one of the most exciting days of my life and that's the value I see in it. Some people will finance a £40k brand new car that will literally be worthless in 10 years, others will by a suit of a few thousand that might not fit them in 2 years but - don't sit there like a keyboard ninja angrily telling everyone how they're fools.

I walk past that thing every morning and I'm certain it was worth every penny I paid.

Peace out and good vibes! :)

Last edited:
**Coyly raises hand**

I bought the melted Vader. I'd did my research on the material. I have a really good pal who works on blockbuster films as a prop maker. She told me "after printing it's saturated with an epoxy resin. At that point they basically become an acrylic. All of the stuff we made was then coated with mipa and then top coated. We had prints at work that were untreated and were still fine after 5 years. Most important thing is not to drop it!!"

I keep mine in my hallway which has no direct sunlight but that's a basic action that anyone who's ever bought a piece of art with any perceived value, would do. TBH I'll probably look at getting it scanned to have as some sort of backup.

I don't get the vitriol projected at people like myself that chose to buy them. Regardless of monetary value, everyone perceives value differently and makes a personal choice on how to finance that particular purchase within their means. I'm very frugal with my cash but I'm fairly comfortable so it's not like I turned round and thought - 'hey, I'll throw away $4k because I'm loaded (I'm not).'

For me, I was really taken by the Vader prop, obsessed actually *insert speak no evil monkey emoji*. I was lucky enough to see it on set back in Nov 14 before it was even seen in the teaser. I felt like I was privileged to a big secret. The same day I got chatting to JJ and Kathleen about some projects I have in the pipeline for Disney not to mention watching Mr Ford film picks-up on the Starkiller set. Meeting the costume designer. Seeing the new stormtrooper design for the first time. So for me owning that replica is more than just the prop, it is a momentum to probably one of the most exciting days of my life and that's the value I see in it. Some people will by a £40k brand new car that will literally be worthless in 10 years, others will by a suit of a few thousand that might not fit them in 2 years but I don't sit there like a keyboard ninja angrily telling everyone how they're fools.

I walk past that thing every morning and I'm certain it was worth every penny I paid.

you have yourself a very, very rare prop replica, that will probably never be bettered. And I seriously doubt it will suddenly crumble... whatever the condition you keep it in...

People may not like it or understand it at the moment... but given time.... it will become a piece of Star Wars history.

**Coyly raises hand**

For me, I was really taken by the Vader prop, obsessed actually *insert speak no evil monkey emoji*. I was lucky enough to see it on set back in Nov 14 before it was even seen in the teaser. I felt like I was privileged to a big secret. The same day I got chatting to JJ and Kathleen about some projects I have in the pipeline for Disney not to mention watching Mr Ford film picks-up on the Starkiller set. Meeting the costume designer. Seeing the new stormtrooper design for the first time. So for me owning that replica is more than just the prop, it is a momentum to probably one of the most exciting days of my life and that's the value I see in it. Some people will by a £40k brand new car that will literally be worthless in 10 years, others will by a suit of a few thousand that might not fit them in 2 years but I don't sit there like a keyboard ninja angrily telling everyone how they're fools.

Oh I can feel with you.:)

Do you making a run now or not?;):lol

It could be copied without destroying it, it's just that you're forgetting a step.

Actually they forgot a step when making it it sounds like. I used to make 3d models for Jewelers...we'd build a piece in 3d, then print it, then cast it in a good material, then polish and put stones in. That seems like the step they forgot: cast it. There's really no reason to send the original print out into the world. It just seems silly. I'm not even talking about resin...cast in metal and it will last forever.

But the step you're forgetting is that we can still go back to the well. You can scan items into 3d now and reprint. So instead of molding around their print, you can scan it, reprint and make new molds.

By the way: this is going to be the big copyright nightmare of the new century: how easy it is becoming to completely rip off someone else's creations. However, in this case, I don't think Disney is any real danger. Their lawyers are scarier than any villain they've ever put in their movies.

I know that process.We have some factorys here in germany that are doing this also.Its very expensive to order all the steps.But if you can sell lots of copys after that its a good input.:thumbsup

Since some here have indicated that the closure was due to the film prop side of the business and not the replica off-shoot, I wonder if that means another company will step into the role of producing replicas at the highest end of the price spectrum. Wouldn't surprise me. I'm guessing the digital files used to make these are now in Disney/Lucasfilm's hands to give to some other licensee, if they wish.

Maybe this time they'll ship from the country they're being sold to and will skip the whole wooden crate idea.

I agree to an extent, but the caveat is that these prop companies can often or not produce a product using assets from the films.

Point in case with PropShop. The guy who MADE the Kylo Ren helmet for the film expressed that Prop Shop and Anovos share the same 3D Print files for their products....only one (now for sure) is going to be more readily available and while still expensive, it's still not gonna run $2k.

Especially if it's going to be significantly more durable and wearable than the more expensive, fragile 3D printed version that you can stare at occasionally from underneath the blacked out sheet you're gonna have to wrap it in, shoved in a box in the corner of your basement to keep out of sunlight while it progressively disintegrates itself anyways.

But hey! That's an AWESOME giant metal coin and helmet stand you can still display in 3-4 years after the fact, you can keep as a memento to show your grandchildren you threw away a couple thousand on something that fell apart far sooner than a $1 McDonald's hamburger left sitting in the Sun

Actually, the Propshop Kylo helmets are polyurethane resin casts so they won't be disintegrating any time soon. The only 3D printed part is the chrome face pattern which is printed in durable SLA plastic and then chrome plated.

Actually, the Propshop Kylo helmets are polyurethane resin casts so they won't be disintegrating any time soon. The only 3D printed part is the chrome face pattern which is printed in durable SLA plastic and then chrome plated.
How do you know this?

I heard from another insider that they didn't provide the required props or inferior props to Blade Runner 2 and this had a big impact on the company. I hope Disney allows another company the access to the scans of the props so maybe another company can make the props and fulfill the orders at a more realistic price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

not going by Adam savages review

@ 4:30

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back