RS Props TK Recast Discovery?

meekerscott

What does one do when they have two TK kits bought second hand and thought they were RS Props?
A good part of this situation is me being frighteningly ignorant.

I swooped down like a vulture in a situation and snagged two under $200 each. After conversing with guys on FISD, it's actually thought to be a recast run (and I'm still not clear on exactly what that means) but now I look at the boxes and don't know if I even want to put them together. I don't know if it's me being overwhelmed with projects or if I subconsciously see them as "dirty" now.

I don't know what to do with them. Here's what I understand about recasting:

• It's not illegal,(but probably should be) although it's highly shunned as immoral - this I can now understand. And if its not Illegal, then why not? Isn't it counterfeit?
  • There are two types of recasters; one says they made the molds themselves and are lying, the other fully admits it's recast. Both are wrong: I did not know that.

I should just be satisfied with my Anovos TK, but here's a twist; as I compare the alleged recast parts with my trimmed Anovos parts, the match-up is so identical, to the supposed recast parts, it looks like Anovos is a recast; it's super-tight identical to these other parts. I'm not saying Anovos is a recast, I'm just temporarily ignorant until the veil is lifted further from my eyes. I really don't know how the casting process works.

I'd rather just sell them off and finally get a real RS Props, a TM, or finance the rest of the Vader parts I need.
At this point I'm thoroughly confused. Any input appreciated. Please forgive my ignorance.

Thoughts?

It's not illegal because selling unauthorized prop replicas at all is technically not legal. But, a lot of time there aren't authorized versions of props or they aren't as accurate as people here can make them.

It's unethical because somebody put a lot of time and effort into making their prop. Then a recaster comes along, buys or borrows the item that the maker spent time and effort making, makes a cast of it, and then sells copies--making money off of somebody else's hard work.

As stated, Anovos isn't recast and it's idealized and cleaned up from what a real original suit was. Whereas RS are exact copies of originals, bumps and all.

Both RS and Anovos say their kit is at least partially based on screen used armor. If a given piece from both kits was based on screen used armor, shouldn't they look virtually identical? The only reason they shouldn't look the same is if one of them was an original sculpt.

Certain pieces of the RS kit are original sculpts from what I understand.

The Anovos kit was based on multiple sources, scanned into 3d software, then cleaned up. It isn't clear what the source is for each part.

Keep in mind RS isn't licensed by Disney/Lucasfilm. Anovos is, so I doubt they copied anyone's pieces without permission.

It sounds like someone bought the Anovos kit, filled the back of the pieces with plaster to make vac-form 'bucks' and recast the Anovos and sold it as RS. Based on what you described that makes the most sense.

The Anovos in kit form would have been easy to make Bucks, and by passing it off as RS it would be an easy sale. That's why the 'RS' you bought looks so much like the Anovos.

Possibly Anovos got permission from RS to scan the screen used parts they have. They said they used parts from the Lucasfilm archives and private collections.

It's just as likely that Anovos scanned other screen used parts. Scans from another set of armor created from the same molds as the RS screen used parts should be very similar.

The only time it should be obvious that there is recasting I if there is something unique about the part.

It's not illegal because selling unauthorized prop replicas at all is technically not legal. But, a lot of time there aren't authorized versions of props or they aren't as accurate as people here can make them.

It's unethical because somebody put a lot of time and effort into making their prop. Then a recaster comes along, buys or borrows the item that the maker spent time and effort making, makes a cast of it, and then sells copies--making money off of somebody else's hard work.

As stated, Anovos isn't recast and it's idealized and cleaned up from what a real original suit was. Whereas RS are exact copies of originals, bumps and all.

Yep, right. As a kid, I would draw cartoons and some of the other kids would take them and sign their own names on them and have everyone think they were the original artist. Obviously, THIS situation is much more serious than that, but I get that part. The styrene kits I got cheapo have those bumps, so it must be from RS dangit. Now I feel like I'm stuck with armor that will always be frowned upon, no matter how good it looks.

Then there's this guy Walt at Walt's Trooper factory stating that he has permission (no proof) from a maker to recast their stuff and sell. What's the deal there? is this also to be "frowned upon?" I'm really trying to cure my ignorance here. Thanks much.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back