Todd's Costumes Working Hensoldt Wetzer

newmagrathea

Sr Member
So I just went to the Todd's Costumes site today and saw they made a change over the weekend to the scope listing. They have raised the price BUT now the scope is functional with real lenses. I even saw they are going to have a lense kit to upgrade their older scopes. I preordered a scope and the scope mount last week, so I was curious to know if my order was the new working scope or not and they confirmed it is. I'm pretty excited about this.

I got an email notification about them being back in stock on the 13th and ordered one in minutes after getting the email. I hope they ship out soon. And a WORKING scope??!! I feel a bit giddy I must say. Thanks for the heads up, man.

I called them before I placed my order and they said they should get them around the first of next month, so only about a week away.
I also got an email saying june 1st at the latest for all parts for the dl44 build , and my DEC tfa kit is only 2 days away , this should be a couple of good weeks :)

I saw this on their site, its awesome and definatelty worth the $50. Thats awesome if all the preorders come with it.

He is also working on something to replace the Denix, which would be amazing! scottjua thanks for everything you do man, you make it possible for the rest of us to get access to this stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw this on their site, its awesome and definatelty worth the $50. Thats awesome if all the preorders come with it.

He is also working on something to replace the Denix, which would be amazing! @scottjua thanks for everything you do man, you make it possible for the rest of us to get access to this stuff.

Hmmm well I just bought the Denix a little while back. I sent it off to get more machine work done to it because it's pretty much a raw Denix with a couple holes drilled and tapped and the barrel cut off. I had to do a lot of filing to get the bull barrel to rotate to the correct position on the Denix and ridiculous amount of filing to get the adapter to fit the bull barrel. Filing something round = no fun, I wish I had a lathe.

I've thought about putting it in a lathe to save me from filing but I'm not sure if I have the skill set necessary. Plus I don't think its even amount off the top and bottom. Also you can always use another blaster!

The Denix is pretty awesome once you get it machined, but it takes a lot to get it looking good.

Hmmm well I just bought the Denix a little while back. I sent it off to get more machine work done to it because it's pretty much a raw Denix with a couple holes drilled and tapped and the barrel cut off. I had to do a lot of filing to get the bull barrel to rotate to the correct position on the Denix and ridiculous amount of filing to get the adapter to fit the bull barrel. Filing something round = no fun, I wish I had a lathe.

I agree for the first one, maybe the second. But when you're a DL-44 hoarder like me there isn't enough hours in the day.

Squaring off against a Denix with a Dremel and hand files is kinda' a rite of passage in the prop world. I wouldn't trade mine for anything...

Very true, especially when an MGC can't be had for less than $1k these days. Still, Todd's renderings have me really excited, especially since he plans to produce them in steel.

How i did turn my ANH Hero MGC down (should be even easier with a Denix, as i don´t trust the MGC barrels, solid, hollow, with hard steelrod inside - found to many versions, Denix barrels are always massive).

Upper receiver disassembled, barrel tip in the chuck and in the rear bolt-hole secured with a revolving center in the tailstock. Not to fast and not to deep passes, very sharp tool.

anh-bullbarrel001.jpg

Don´t part it off in this position, saw the small post.

anh-bullbarrel013.jpg

Way easier if you just need a little bit smaller diameter:

guns004.jpg

Something like that can be done without lathe, just a good sized workbench drillpress and a sharp file is needed. Again tip in the chuck, and a center in the vise. Precise adjusting that there is no wobble, slowest speed and carefully filing.

Interesting.

Does anyone have good resource on how to cut the tomtit cylindars? I've been looking at pics of the props trying to figure out the orientation and how the ribs line up. I didn't know if there were any clever tricks to cutting them correctly.

Before I knew they weren't hollow, I'd say just make two cuts lengthwise (or from the ends and slide down) but I'm not sure how to hollow out the center.

Awesome lathing guys, I'm guessing the DIY version involves a bearing or something near the bolt for smooth motion

also this scope is incredible!

How i did turn my ANH Hero MGC down (should be even easier with a Denix, as i don´t trust the MGC barrels, solid, hollow, with hard steelrod inside - found to many versions, Denix barrels are always massive).

Upper receiver disassembled, barrel tip in the chuck and in the rear bolt-hole secured with a revolving center in the tailstock. Not to fast and not to deep passes, very sharp tool.

http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc352/Lichtbote/Props/Blaster/MGC-ANH-Hero/anh-bullbarrel001.jpg

Don´t part it off in this position, saw the small post.

http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc352/Lichtbote/Props/Blaster/MGC-ANH-Hero/anh-bullbarrel013.jpg

Way easier if you just need a little bit smaller diameter:

http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc352/Lichtbote/Props/Blaster/MGC-ANH-Hero/guns004.jpg

Something like that can be done without lathe, just a good sized workbench drillpress and a sharp file is needed. Again tip in the chuck, and a center in the vise. Precise adjusting that there is no wobble, slowest speed and carefully filing.

Michael, thank you for posting. I was going to ask Scott but feel bad always asking a bunch of "how to" questions.

Its nice to see that it can be done with a 3 jaw chuck, as that's what I have on my lathe. I just ordered about 60 lbs of various aluminum (and one piece of brass which broke the bank).

I may try to use a Todds bull barrel like a DEC, I prefer it to the threading way. Both are great, just personal preference.

I said it earlier but Todd has really stepped things up.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back