Colonial Viper in progress

Craig1701

Hi all,

Putting up my second post on therpf.com!

Studio Scale Viper. It's a really bad casting that I picked up from eBay last summer.

27093138561_196fc18023_c.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/craig1701/albums/72157667990598500

It's still in progress!

Craig

Thanks Apollo!
Used the wet salt trick on a few of my models. I thought I might have over done it but I gave the model a light sanding and it blended a bit better. Still need to paint grey nose cone and debating if I will paint panels on fuselage.
Still need to weather the model.

Cheers,

Craig

The model looks fantastic so far!

In the image in the first post, the coloring seems (in my opinion, which may not be worth that much! ;) ) a bit bold. The primary colors (orange, grey) seem to pop a bit and the weathering is fairly strong. Being a work in progress, are you considering "fading" the colors a bit? And/or blending the weathering a tad?

I'm headed down a similar path. In the General Modeling side, I have a 1:29 scale X-Wing in progress, and the primary colors I'm using are stronger, or more rich than those I've used on past builds. So the process of "fading" them, or toning them down, will be a distinct challenge for me. Particularly since I'm not so good at doing that!

Were you trying to simulate dirt or chipped/ scuffed paint? it looks more chipped paint but way overdone, with weathering it's very easy to get carried away, its what makes or breaks a model.

Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated!

I used wet salt technique and may have gotten carried away. I used the same technique for my X-Wing and Millennium Falcon builds. Maybe the pendulum has swung too far.
Yes, intent was to simulate chipped paint.

I gave the model a light sanding and it seems to have blended a bit more. The reddy/orange was the closest I could find in a bottle.

I may have the model a few light oversprays of Tamiya AS-16.

I still haven't given the model a wash or have done the streaks. Debating whether to use my airbrush or use Tamiya Weathering Master sets. (aka Fancy pastels)

Thanks again for the feedback!

Craig

Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated!

I used wet salt technique and may have gotten carried away. I used the same technique for my X-Wing and Millennium Falcon builds. Maybe the pendulum has swung too far.
Yes, intent was to simulate chipped paint.

I gave the model a light sanding and it seems to have blended a bit more. The reddy/orange was the closest I could find in a bottle.

I may have the model a few light oversprays of Tamiya AS-16.

I still haven't given the model a wash or have done the streaks. Debating whether to use my airbrush or use Tamiya Weathering Master sets. (aka Fancy pastels)

Thanks again for the feedback!

Craig

Personally I favor pastels, as - for me at least - they give me more control on the application.

Does anyone know if the original studio Viper models had windows in the cockpit?

I know that the models used in Star Wars didn't for fear of reflections.

Just curious because I know that some of the model makers and FX guys were the same on both shows.

As I'm doing one of these I went looking for reference and came across some pics showing different styles of windows but I'm not sure if there actual screen used or not.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back