Dark Souls - Silver Knight

Alkatraz

First thread, exciting, here goes. "The Silver Knights protect Anor Londo. When Lord Gwyn departed to link the Fire, his knights split into two groups. The Silver Knights remained in the forsaken capital Anor Londo, in the service of their goddess."
silver-knight-sword-large.jpg

This is my current project that I have been working on, a Dark Souls Silver Knight build, the end result should look like the picture, but with a longer black cape for extra awesomeness :D
All the plating will be EVA foam connected with elastic and nylon strapping, the undersuit will be normal black cloth painted with a silver pattern to imitate chainmail from a distance and the skirt will be made from actual chainmail that I have commissioned.
Still not sure what I'll do for the sword, but I'll figure it out. The pieces I have made so far are the tassets, vambraces, cuisses, knees and the waist plating of the cuirass, many of these have been connected to eachother since the time I took these pictures.
The shield is also nearly done, but I am fixing a some seams and some strapping, I've also made a start on the bicep and chest plates as well.

13020251_998398813577000_1776613770_n.jpg12988035_998400280243520_537719674_n.jpg13023653_1001673133249568_1056791232_n.jpg13023220_1001673416582873_1255147471_n.jpg13236154_1019149484835266_894699364_n.jpg13246044_1019149401501941_946200176_n.jpg13153486_1012545128829035_1758272422_n.jpg13140653_1012544962162385_1024474635_n.jpg

Right now I'm waiting on some materials to arrive, but I should be making more progress in a week or so, stay tuned :)

Last edited:
Looks great. So many great designs to pick from with dark souls and you've got a great start here.

The shield looks particularly impressive. Must have taken you ages putting in all the detail on it. Did you use a dremel to put it in or how did you go about it?

Looks great. So many great designs to pick from with dark souls and you've got a great start here.

The shield looks particularly impressive. Must have taken you ages putting in all the detail on it. Did you use a dremel to put it in or how did you go about it?

Thanks, I'm really happy with it. I actually didn't do anything fancy with the detailing.
The deep channels were just a cut out bevel with my knife, the rivets along the rim were made with a sharpened piece of plastic pipe, and the flame pattern was just a series of shallow incisions that I heated up so they expanded a bit, I then hand sanded everything smooth. I thought about using my rotary tool for it, but truthfully I didn't feel like cleaning up foam dust that day :p

Nice work on your Ornstein build by the way, I thought about making that armour but I ended up choosing the Silver Knight.

Thanks, I'm really happy with it. I actually didn't do anything fancy with the detailing.
The deep channels were just a cut out bevel with my knife, the rivets along the rim were made with a sharpened piece of plastic pipe, and the flame pattern was just a series of shallow incisions that I heated up so they expanded a bit, I then hand sanded everything smooth. I thought about using my rotary tool for it, but truthfully I didn't feel like cleaning up foam dust that day :p

Nice work on your Ornstein build by the way, I thought about making that armour but I ended up choosing the Silver Knight.

Well it certainly looks fancy. Must have taken a lot of careful work all the same and you've got a great outcome in the end. Out of interest, did you layer the foam at all to get the thickness? Looks pretty sturdy.

Thanks very much. There's a lot of dremelling involved for sure now that I've hit the raised details, so many little curves :wacko Definitely considering what you were saying for your detail on the shield and having a think about if there's anywhere I can apply that as well.

Well it certainly looks fancy. Must have taken a lot of careful work all the same and you've got a great outcome in the end. Out of interest, did you layer the foam at all to get the thickness? Looks pretty sturdy.

Thanks very much. There's a lot of dremelling involved for sure now that I've hit the raised details, so many little curves :wacko Definitely considering what you were saying for your detail on the shield and having a think about if there's anywhere I can apply that as well.

The front and back of the shield are separate foam mats and sandwiched in between them is a PVC pipe skeleton with a series of cross bracing made from EVA foam, imagine a sort of honeycomb thing inside but made from various shapes. This is why it is so thick and also quite rigid.

The front and back of the shield are separate foam mats and sandwiched in between them is a PVC pipe skeleton with a series of cross bracing made from EVA foam, imagine a sort of honeycomb thing inside but made from various shapes. This is why it is so thick and also quite rigid.

That makes a lot of sense. Clever idea and it's a great effect also. Is the handle part of the frame as well then?

That makes a lot of sense. Clever idea and it's a great effect also. Is the handle part of the frame as well then?

Not quite, I tried to get it to fit onto the frame, but my alignment was a bit off. It is made of heat formed PVC pipe wrapped in thin foam.

Well there have been some good and bad developments in my current build.

First off with the bad news, the whole commissioned chainmail thing fell through because the woman who I had hired to do it turned out to be a neurotic psycho. I lost my deposit but I don't mind, the whole thing was a nightmare and I'm glad it's over. I'll be making my own chainmail which will probably be better anyway.

On to the good news! I made my helmet:
20160623_150902.jpg20160623_150919.jpg
It looks a bit odd here and there because I had to make it quite thin to be somewhat in proportion to the game, but I assure you all that it sits well when it's being worn. Also my first time using my rotary tool on foam, I figured it was the only way I could carve the wings to look as they should.

I'm now working on the chest, which has been very difficult so far but I think I'm getting somewhere with it.
20160623_151046.jpg

That's all for now, but definitely not the last you'll hear from me.

Today I adjusted the eye holes on the helmet, I felt they weren't quite the right shape, and I made the carved collar plating.
I laid them out to get an idea of how everything will look, everything seems alright so far.

20160624_233958.jpg20160624_234004.jpg

Next I'll probably make the last few abdominal segments or the pauldrons.

Turns out I didn't have enough foam for the larger pieces right now, so that's on hold for a bit. Instead I started figuring out a way to make the gauntlet armour so it looks more or less as it does in the game. They're nowhere near finished but here's what I've got so far:
20160628_132343.jpg20160628_132425.jpg

They are made from elastic and nylon webbing sewn together into a sort of skeleton and foam plating hot glued onto it.

Great to see the latest progress.

Sorry to hear about the chainmail. Have you made a start on your own yet? Detail looks great on those chest sections.

Really nice way of doing the gauntlets also. Do you effectively have a strip of elastic down the top each finger then, a few bits to hold the plate to your fingers and then one large piece wrapping around your wrist? Mobility looks good also. Nice solution.

Great to see the latest progress.

Sorry to hear about the chainmail. Have you made a start on your own yet? Detail looks great on those chest sections.

Really nice way of doing the gauntlets also. Do you effectively have a strip of elastic down the top each finger then, a few bits to hold the plate to your fingers and then one large piece wrapping around your wrist? Mobility looks good also. Nice solution.

Thanks, I've got small nylon rings that sit at the knuckles of each finger, these are attached to a nylon strip that runs down the phalanges and onto a piece of elastic which is sewn only onto the end, if this long strip was made from only elastic it would try to pull itself out of the glue each time I moved my hands so keeping the elastic on the ends keeps the motion from tearing everything apart. These strips are sewn onto a thick nylon band that goes across the middle of my palm, across the metacarpal bones. The thumb attaches to the palm plating slightly differently, but it works more or less the same.
Overview-of-the-Bones-of-the-Hand-Carpals-Metacarpals-and-Phalanges.jpg
I've been wearing it over a thin polar fleece glove and it's really comfortable, no mobility issues at all.
As for the chainmail, no, I haven't started it yet, I figured it would be a fairly low priority part of the suit, I could just use cloth in the mean time. But I'll definitely get around to it.

Finally sorted out the last few abdominal segments, it's not the easiest thing to get into but it's comfortable. I've also added a pair of solid plastic loops to the ornate part of the collar to hook my new cape onto.

20160705_194456.jpg20160705_194511.jpg20160705_200950.jpg

Thanks, I've got small nylon rings that sit at the knuckles of each finger, these are attached to a nylon strip that runs down the phalanges and onto a piece of elastic which is sewn only onto the end, if this long strip was made from only elastic it would try to pull itself out of the glue each time I moved my hands so keeping the elastic on the ends keeps the motion from tearing everything apart. These strips are sewn onto a thick nylon band that goes across the middle of my palm, across the metacarpal bones. The thumb attaches to the palm plating slightly differently, but it works more or less the same.
View attachment 639611
I've been wearing it over a thin polar fleece glove and it's really comfortable, no mobility issues at all.
As for the chainmail, no, I haven't started it yet, I figured it would be a fairly low priority part of the suit, I could just use cloth in the mean time. But I'll definitely get around to it.

Cheers for all this detail, the diagram really helps as well. Wouldn't have thought of trying something like this at all but I'm definitely going to give it a try now. Just need to try and work out what lengths of elastic I've got available now.

Really liking the progress on the latest updates on the armour as well. Looking forward to seeing the next parts shaping up once your next batch of materials arrive.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back