Bengrim's Darth Vader reveal project

Considering the fact that propguys were always on a tight schedule ... it's most likely they used the same part over and over wherever they could ... so how many vocoder grills would one need now for one Vader ROTJ Reveal build?

Chaïm
6 needed
i used my first attempted cut of the vocoder grill that wasn't screen accurate due to the fact that the little blobs are to far away from the end, and as you dont see the blobs these can now be used for behind the shutters

Last edited:
Bengrim99: do you need some "funding" to help offset some initial cost. I am interested in a final product helmet and could prepay portion as investor in the process. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's brilliant I think you've nailed it with those eye details, nice one Ben!!

As to your etching dilemma, I think you just need to decrease the width of the laser-etched line quite a bit, your artwork looks nice but the final lines cut are too wide making the characters too fat.

I make the 'LTRS' and the '1-4' characters about 0.25mm wide. I haven't found a perfect font to replicate either of these details, so I did what I think has also been suggested here, and drew them as curved and straight lines in Illustrator (as stick characters) then worked out how thick the lines should be.

Here's a snap I took with my camera looking as straight down onto that area as I could get it. The best I could get, not easy to photograph through glass in dim lighting with reflections everywhere!

IMG_1461.JPG

IMG_1461.JPG

Bengrim99: do you need some "funding" to help offset some initial cost. I am interested in a final product helmet and could prepay portion as investor in the process. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kind offer but I will decline your gracious offer as the wife's credit card will come in handy when I need it ;):lol

That's brilliant I think you've nailed it with those eye details, nice one Ben!!

As to your etching dilemma, I think you just need to decrease the width of the laser-etched line quite a bit, your artwork looks nice but the final lines cut are too wide making the characters too fat.

I make the 'LTRS' and the '1-4' characters about 0.25mm wide. I haven't found a perfect font to replicate either of these details, so I did what I think has also been suggested here, and drew them as curved and straight lines in Illustrator (as stick characters) then worked out how thick the lines should be.

Here's a snap I took with my camera looking as straight down onto that area as I could get it. The best I could get, not easy to photograph through glass in dim lighting with reflections everywhere!

View attachment 730029
Hi Jeremy nice to hear from you, that's a nice top shot of the lettering and will help with the stretching and squeezing to make them fit, I'm going to do a slight alteration of the piece first as after I did a little mock up I noticed something that just didn't sit right, when I've altered it I will then try again with the lettering with the kind help of Chaim
thanks for your input as all input is great fully received

Ben

Had a quick hour tonight and I've redone my shutters using the new found way of doing the thin grills behind the shutters by using the vocoder grills
did a quick mock up with the back plate
IMG_0444.JPG
The edges of the vocoder grills need cutting back, so much better than my first attempt with staples ( it was a bit of a fumble)
IMG_0445.JPG
IMG_0446.JPG

Going to to work more on the brow linkage (LTRS) this week been to busy this week end with work

Chaim my friend you are a star I just wish I could learn faster with this computer what you have done would have taken me days
what you have done I can work with, let me see what I can come up with this week as I've got a busy busy week
thanks Chaim

Excellent find about the vocoder parts being used on the shutters.

soooo please add 4 of your inaccurate ones to my lot, ok?!

thanks for your efforts !!!

Looking into the future !!!
has anybody got any vocoder screen accurate mesh need a sample piece or some specs please

Update !!!! Ha ha ha AGAIN

ive done an ever so slight alteration to the piece and I've altered the LTRS, I've imported 2 images to cad, Original and @Sym-Cha drawing. I've traced over both images stretching and skewing pushing and pulling and ended up with this little puppy :wacko:confused what do people think @Sym-Cha i would like your opinion and eye on this buddy
thanks
Ben
IMG_0448.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0447.JPG
    IMG_0447.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 94
Going to get a sample cut of both brow linkage and crown linkages first for the slight resize I've done and check them out on a mock up
IMG_0449.JPGIMG_0450.JPGIMG_0451.JPG

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back