Walking Dead - Daryl Dixon's New Bike Replica Build

The box of magic will include the stem swap and a screen accurate upper.

The Yamaha stem is several inches too short to be used on the Nighthawk frame, so Classified is taking the Nighthawk stem and putting it on the Yamaha lower. Once it comes back, I will have a screen accurate swap :)

As for the machined part, Im going to try a few things and see what gives the closest look.

These are the shots i have of the resevior, can you post the one you have with the mounting tab?

bike%2026.png

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I think I just figured out the mirror mount....I'll have to dig through my bin to find a normal bolt though vs. the rounded one.

mirror%20mount.png

Last edited:
On another note, my Progressive Suspension 970 set should be arriving today.

That brings me to the following totals:

- Build cost to date: $5942

- Man hours to date: 13.5

That still doesn't include the seat, the bag, mounting the tires, the brake lines, the battery and the metal stock for welding up all the addons. It is very obvious why this bike is sold for $16k.... Im almost halfway there in parts alone. Good thing is that my labor is free. :)

Ill get my build sheet posted shortly.

IMG_2756.JPGHeya, I'm just about where you are on the build and am trying to determine the seat color/type etc to get my buddies working on that.. I do have the sku's and part numbers for the outfit that has the correct head light and brake light if you'd like it or still need it PM me.. The screen on the pipes I believe is stainless mesh.. I.d. the kickstart to a '79 XS650 but awaiting confirmation.. What did you do for rubber?? I went 150/70 and 130/90 up front.

Kick starter is from a TT500. The XS650 is slightly off.

bike24.png

I have the headlight and tail light already.

Classified said the screen was a brass mesh they had laying around the shop.

Tires were 130 in the front and 150 in the rear.

PurchasedGroupingSub GroupingCostPart TypeSourceNotesProject Total
YesCore PartFrame$1,200Donor Bike1992 Honda Nighthawk 75092 is exact year used in show$5,958
YesCore PartFront EndHandle Bar Risers1992 Honda Nighthawk 750Included with donor bike
YesCore PartControlsRight Hand Controls1992 Honda Nighthawk 750Included with donor bikeMan Hour Total
YesCore PartControlsClutch Lever1992 Honda Nighthawk 750Included with donor bike13.5
YesCore PartControlsLeft Hand Controls1992 Honda Nighthawk 750Included with donor bike
YesCore PartExhaust$150Exhaust1992 Honda Nighthawk 750Dual Exhaust
YesCore PartDrive TrainRear Wheel1992 Honda Nighthawk 750Included with donor bike
YesCore PartFront EndStem and Top Nut1992 Honda Nighthawk 750Included with donor bike
YesCore PartDrive Train$1,000Front Wheel2008-14 Yamaha YZF-R6Included with front end
YesCore PartBrakes$117Front Gold Dot Brake Calipers2008-14 Yamaha YZF-R6
YesCore PartBrakes$19Brake Caliper Bolts2008-14 Yamaha YZF-R6
YesCore PartSuspensionFront Gold Forks2008-14 Yamaha YZF-R6Included with front end
YesCore PartFront EndLower Tree2008-14 Yamaha YZF-R6Included with front end
YesCore PartDrive Train$25Front Axle2008-14 Yamaha YZF-R6
YesCore PartControlsFront Brake Lever2008-14 Yamaha YZF-R6Included with front end
YesCore PartFuel$80Fuel Tank1977-79 Yamaha XS650 StandardCenter Filler, Dual Petcock
YesCore PartDécor$30Kick Starter1976-81 Yamaha TT500 DirtbikeFor show only, non-functional
YesCore PartDrive Train$78Front Tire130/80-17 Kenda Big BlockTechnically a rear tire mounted on front wheel
YesCore PartDrive Train$110Rear Tire150/70-17 Kenda Big Block
YesCore PartSuspension$918Rear ShocksProgressive Suspension 970 Piggyback13.5" - Metric 970-1008
NoCore PartElectrical$150BatteryShorai Lithium IonUnknown model
YesCore PartDrive Train$104ChainD.I.D. X-ring 525VX - 112 LinksStandard Color
YesCore PartIntake$375IntakeSleeper Designs, LLC - Seth IngramCustom machined, same ones used in show
YesSpare PartFront End$25Handle Bar Risers1992 Honda Nighthawk 750Needed a spare set of risers
YesCore PartFront End$63Handle BarPro Taper 7/8" CR High BendBlack or Platinum will work
YesSpare PartFront End$33Lower Tree1992 Honda Nighthawk 750Needed a spare stem and lower
YesSuppliesExhaust$5Locking Cable TieseBayStainless steel ties for the exhaust wrap
YesSuppliesFront End$21Fork Spring CompressoreBayNeeded for fork service
YesSuppliesFront End$20Fork Oil Level SyringeeBayNeeded for fork service
YesSuppliesFront End$33Fork and Dust SealsAll Balls RacingNeeded for fork service
YesSuppliesFront End$32Fork OileBayNeeded for fork service
YesCore PartFrame$9Ignition Switch MountTC Bros 3/4"
YesCore PartElectrical$65HeadlighteBay5.75" Black bottom mount, café racer style
YesCore PartFrame$10MirroreBay3" Round 7/8" Bar End
YesCore PartElectrical$14Ignition SwitchEmgo Universal 3 Position
YesSuppliesFuel$92Carburetor SealseBayNeeded for carb rebuild
YesCore PartFuel$26Fuel Cap w/KeyMultiple Year, Yamaha XS650Top lock, rear hinge
YesCore PartElectrical$40Brake LightEmgo 2.25" Round
YesSpare PartControls$24Front Brake Lever2008-14 Yamaha YZF-R6Old one was bent
YesSuppliesEngine$51Valve Cover GasketeBayHonda Part # 12391-MJ1-761
YesCore PartFuel$12Fuel FilterVisu-Filter Clear 1/4"Need 2
YesCore PartFuel$3Fuel Line1/4" Clear Fuel Line
YesCore PartFuel$71/4" 3 Way TSolid Brass Fuel Splicer
YesCore PartFuel$7Fuel Line ClampsDouble Wire 1/4"
YesCore PartFuel$55Carb JetsCarbjetkits.comMain jets size 125 , Pilot jets size 40 and 2 shim for each Slide Needle
YesCore PartFront End$485Tree Stem SwapClassified MotoNighthawk stem on the R6 lower
YesCore PartFront End$335Custom Upper TreeClassified MotoScreen accurate
YesCore PartFront End$42Triple Tree BearingsClassified Moto
NoCore PartFront EndFork Cover GrillCustom made
NoCore PartFront EndFront FenderCustom made
NoCore PartFrameRear FenderCustom made
YesCore PartFront EndGripsOURY model 59-89807/8", 5" long (covered in hockey tape)
YesCore PartBrakes$16Front Brake ReservoirMikexs.comMaster cylinder reservoir with 1/4' id hose (08-4011)
YesCore PartExhaust$30Exhaust WrapDEI Tan 50'
NoCore PartFrameSeatCustom made
NoCore PartFrameBagCustom made
NoCore PartFrameCrossbow MountCustom made
NoCore PartBrakesFront Brake LinesGalfer40 degree banjos @ master (D115C), 20 degree lateral banjos @ caliper (1400), 10x1.25 bolt at master (D009B), 10x1.25 bolts @ calipers (D008B)
NoSuppliesFrameFlat Stock Steel1/16" or 22g, 1/5" wide
NoSuppliesFrameFlat Stock Steel1/16" or 22g, 3/4" wide
YesSuppliesFrame$29Perforated Stainless22g, 1/8" holes
NoSuppliesFrameSocket Cap Bolts1/4" 20 Stainless
NoSuppliesFrameSocket Cap Bolts1/4" 20 Grade 8 Black
YesSuppliesFrame$18Kick Starter Spring Shaft1976-81 Yamaha TT500 DirtbikeUsed to make kick starter appear functional

There's a guy on YouTube that built one too. Good for basics, but not 100% correct, like he doesn't hide the battery behind the swing arm, ect.

Actually two guys, Top Bikes of Coventry that came REALLY close - instead of hiding the wiring and battery under the seat, he mounted in so the bag wraps around it. Then the other guy who had the dual fenders in the front. Both were good to see the process, but there is ALOT of detail stuff that goes undocumented.

Classified typically hides the battery under the seats of their Nighthawk builds, there was one or two that were mounted in the swing arm itself due to space restrictions on other model bikes.

battery.png

My tank just showed up!!

20160607_125900.jpg

20160607_125916.jpg

20160607_125908.jpg

Last edited:
Nice tank! And thanks for all the info and time you've put in I love everything so far!!

So what piece did you use for the mirror mount? A hollow 7/8 with long 10mm nut?

So FedEx just informed me that the package containing my Progessive 970 suspension is missing the shipping label after arriving here in Tampa....so I guess it isn't coming today.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Too lazy to look and see if I already said it; could've just been thinking it, but I truly admire the sort of dedication it takes to bring a project like this together.

Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing.

-Rylo

The artificial rusting is a piece of cake on the tank! A little vinegar, a lot of 3% hydrogen peroxide and a table spoon of salt in a squirt bottle, keep a heat gun handy to keep the solution in place and dry it in one spot for darker spots, works like a champ on a blasted tank!

Did you get a source for the right headlight and taillight? Can pass that info on if you need it.

For the functional Jackshaft I bought the XS650 one but then noticed the RD350 unit appears to be the same spline and is much more compact, won't figure that out until I get both of them in my hands.

Here's the XS650 one:

s-l1600.jpg

Here is the RD350:
s-l500.jpg

I'll look at the TT500 kickstart, on the XS650's there are three different physical variations, I believe the one they used is the one from Mike's.. t
his one the 70-73 version for XS650's? Hard to determine 100% due to pic angles.
19-6504.jpg

Sources for my parts are listed on the sheet i posted if you needed something. Both lights were obtained on eBay. I picked up the matching spring shaft for the TT500 a few days ago, its pretty compact as well. I mocked up the kick starter on the frame with the tank and it looks to be accurate. (the angle of the pic is a little off though) The XS650 one has a small nub on the bend that the reference pictures do not have. The part that sold me was the bottom part of the mount. Of course Yamaha could have cross used parts for a few years too. I'd venture to say when it comes down to it, aside from people like us, who is really gonna notice? There were a few parts used from Mikexs.com, so it would make sense.

kickstarter.png

Here is the springshaft from the TT500

kick2.png

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm being way too detail oriented on this one but it's what I do lol. On the master cylinder, do you have any idea if they nipple boss would simply rotate in the housing to point straight up?? I've read/seen that they are practically impossible to rebuild.. my alternative although not 100% correct was to simply flip the stock hose so it'd be a little offset but looks like it'd be straight up??

These are the two kickstarts I was looking at from Mikes: first is 70-73 XS650, second is the RD350 which is cheaper so I'm probably going that way..
kickstartxs6507073.jpgkickstartrd350.jpg
Very hard to tell from the pic angles although your right, I don't think anyone would really notice!

Have decided to go ahead and put a second parallel contact switch on the kick start so that I can run it down and at the bottom it will engage the starter circuit.. depends on how much it delays me getting the hotwork done though, if I've got time its going on...

Here's the tank I did, I may blast it again and redo it to get more of the silver visible, speaking of that did you find a source for the specific reversed petcocks?

Photo May 31, 1 27 15 PM.jpgPhoto May 31, 1 00 55 PM.jpg

Bailing now to pick up the rims that were powdercoated to get them mounted so I can make sure there are no clearance issues in rear swing arm, let me know on the fuel petcock if you've got source info!

Also, I seen the online build where they used the center bolt on main frame downtube to mount the tray but in the post you mention they put most of the electronics up higher typically? it' make more sense to locate a frame closer to top of just under the set to be able to get to everything easier after popping the seat so i'll probably go that direction.. plus it would be nice to have part of the bag somewhat usable!

Haven't ironed out the canvas for the bag or the seat but working it!

Photo Jun 03, 1 06 30 PM.jpgPhoto Jun 07, 1 43 11 PM.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back