Walking Dead - Daryl Dixon's New Bike Replica Build

Hi, I have been looking at the progress of your bike for a while and it is awesome. It has inspired me to build my own, a pre-apocalypse painted version and you have definitely given me some great tips. I think I have also just bought the last xs650 tank in the world!! I have a couple of questions though if you would be good enough to answer for me please? In the last post you mentioned about the breather tube, do you have a picture at all and is it still connected from rocker cover to crank case? Also did you have to remount the coils in another position under the tank as I am finding it difficult to seat it properly?. Many thanks and again great work!

The coils should mount in the stock location, it's critical to get the tank positioned properly or rather getting the cups welded in the right place.. depending on where it is your hitting it did look like the mounting tubes on the frame could be shortened a tad to bring them closer together but moving them would be a pita.. if I had to I'd probably fab up a mount that would mount in original holes to relocate mounting points for the coils but you should be able to use the stock mounts.. Is the tank sitting too low in the front??

In regards to the breather, in stock configuration on the bike there is a three line that junction at a T .. a leg from the head, one from the lower crank case and the last one used to go to the stock airbox on the bike.. all you need to do is either fashion a small screened breather or buy one online.. but the system definitely needs to breathe.. the pistons pumping displace too much air for it to be a closed system.

This is what I ended up doing but tucked it under the carbs on the left side.. may end up doing something a little different as it seems to bind up on a little on the throttle linkage.. I think any flexible tubing that will fit the nipples with an inline T filter would work..

unspecifiedOVYHLNDR.jpg

Last edited:
Seany1973, I did in fact end up with THE last of the old model MikeXS repro tanks. When I was down there picking it up they said they were bringing in a new model of tank to replace them albeit with a few subtle changes. I will say, having bought a real XS650 tank as well, the fitment is a little different, but not by much. So between the new model repro tank or a stock tank, there may be some differences between the older repro tank and that could be what you are seeing. Here are a few shots of what the tank cups look like and with the tank and coils mounted in the stock location. They do fit, you just have to play with tank placement before tacking in the cups. Just eyeball it in comparison to the reference shots. I did end up having to grind down the original tank pegs and the bases quite a bit to make the tank sit just right though. The lower line of the tank does not sit even with the frame under the seat. It angles down ever so slightly.

20160916_060913.jpg

20160916_060934.jpg

20160916_060949.jpg

20160916_061105.jpg

20160916_061122.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for getting back to me, this is great. I just need that old thing called patience haha. So it looks like I will be busy this weekend grinding and welding then. Have you both used stock rubber mounts under the tank? Also the breather look easy enough too, I will do the same and add a small filter. Cheers guys!

I used the rubber mounts. However, I had to cut half of the thickness off, as well as trimming the place they mount on the tank to get it to fit over the frame. Ill take a pic when I get back to the garage.

Just by accident earlier I happened to find two ends that I cut off a pair of mountain bike grips and they fit perfectly. Tank sits much better now. Got to get those cups mounted now. Thanks, also just got my rear shocks today.... I'm all excited. Sad I know but they are beautiful. Lol

So finding a Strykezone 380 at a good price is a fairly hard task, let alone getting the screen accurate Strykezone 380 in Optifade. I've come to the conclusion that it's impossible. I have eBay set to alert me to any Strykezone 380s that pop up, and there has only been 2 in the last 5 months. So in order to get the crossbow rack built, I opted for another option. Just buy the frame. I managed to pick up a damaged frame on eBay for $40. At least now I can continue with fabrication.

20160919_210413.jpg

Also started getting the base coats on the engine covers. Once those have cured, I can get into the weathering and detail work.

20160919_210351.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the same issue with the woodlands camo, I'm going to get a hydrodip setup to get the stock done correct.. apparently they only issued that particular one for a certain year.. Hydro dip stuff looks very interesting! Going to do the other Yamaha tank with a pattern for the trike..

Hi again, did anyone fit an aftermarket speedometer? I am trying to source a decent one with instrument lights as the standard ones are too big and kind of ruin the look. Any advice on this would be great. Thanks

I was worried about the overall look as well. I wanted to go with something that was sleek, yet removable. I found a company call Slip Grip Car Mounts that makes every combination of phone holder you can think of. I picked up a mount that works specifically with motorcycles and has a molded clip for my Note 5 in a Otterbox. I downloaded an app called Ulysses Speedometer that takes care of all gauges. I have plans to write an app that is basically a full replacement for the cluster, including the indicator lights. But that will take some time.

20160924_080606.jpg

20160924_080559.jpg

Very cool. Wonder how it picks up the Rev counter then? Might pick up a GPS unit but still not sure. Finished my saddle bags today getting the tank stripped too, there us about 10 coats of paint on it... What do you think to my needlework skills ( first time)

image.jpegimage.jpeg

For your first time id say its pretty damn good. Ill need to get the nerve up to try to make my under bag. I cant imagine it being super hard, but sewing machines are so intimidating to me.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Thanks. I thought that too but got the Mrs to show me what to do. I practiced on a few spare off cuts first then just went for it. Quite surprised myself really. Quite pleased. Can't wait to spray my tank now. Army green here we come....

Thanks, that's a cool website. Looks like they have what I want. Only problem is that I don't know what ratio speedo the CB runs at? Do you know at all?

Ragtop, what'd you do with all the hoses coming out of the carb? I'm in the process of installing these custom boxes. I have all these hoses that go nowhere now... can I just remove them?
IMG_0866.JPG

I have one small breather pipe coming out of the 2nd rubber air intake and the petrol supply hose. If you are putting aftermarket air boxes on this should be ok to cap off, that's what I was planning to do IMG_0178.JPGIMG_0180.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

The one with green tape is the breather

Attachments

• IMG_0181.JPG
    IMG_0181.JPG
    813.8 KB · Views: 244
Hi Guys

This is an awesome thread, you have done an amazing job. I am working on a similiar build but since a lot of parts are not available around me i had to make some mods. Can any of you tell me what is your turn radius after the front swap? By that I mean how much can you turn your wheel before hitting the tank? My set up has a significantly smaller radius then on the original nighthawk. I am wondering if that is normal?

You have already been a lot of help but i would really appriciate if one of you could make a measurement.

Thnx in advance

Z

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back