Metropolis 1/4 Maria Maschinenmensch robot

Automaton

After years of waiting for an affordable one to turn up, I finally got my hands on one of the 1/4 Masudaya Metropolis figures from 1985, released to coincide with the Giorgio Moroder version. Great sculpt! She's in pretty good condition although she has been displayed so needs cleaning before anything else.

I know she's vinyl, but I'm not sure exactly what type. After all, she was marketed as a display figure not a kit. Will a bath in lukewarm water and dishsoap then normal Tamiya or Humbrol primer work fine?

Also, I'm wondering on the best type of filler to hide the seam in her midriff?

Cheers all!

Last edited:
Re: Metropolis 1/4 Maria Maschinenmensch figure

Nice!

I love vinyl kits because they are seamless!!! If the produces was clever enough the cuts are done in places that won't even need filling...

Lukewarm dishsoap is fine. I can't tell if it's painted or molded in that colour, but you are gonna paint it anyway so I suggest using an old toothbrush and really getting in there with the soapwater.

Yeah that midriff kind of sticks out. I had to check the original to see if the costume was like that, but no - it's just an unfortunate cut. Cut should have been just below her bust where there are already lines. Anyway it looks to me like the upper part is overlapping a lower lip part. If you are able to take it apart you might try to trim that lower lip a bit to get a snugger fit as it looks like you might need to lay a thicker layer to meet the upper part without having a visible bump otherwise.

My go to putty for figures is milliput. Other people swear by Aves Apoxie, but I have never felt the need to try it. Milliput is inexpensive here (Sweden) and it can be diluted with water to a paste if need be. You can get crisp details in it if you want or flowy organic shapes. If you want flat and sturdy pieces you can flatten it out, leave it to harden for 30 mins and then work with it. For blending purposes - roll out a tiny sausage, press it where it needs to go and wet your fingers as you blend it out.

Have fun - it really does look like a fun model to paint, challenging because it's basically just one colour.

Thanks for the tips Basementdweller! I've tried Milliput before. It's quite nice to work with so good to know it works well with vinyl. I think I'd go with the Superfine this time as I found the standard stuff slightly grainy. Now you mention it I do see that the upper torso flares a bit as it meets the body. I will need to modify that. I've seen people who have removed the clasps on the top of her thighs and replaced them with strip metal ones... If I'm going to the bother of blending the torso, I guess I might as well do that as well.

I do like the idea of the base, but the rubber top part is a bit disappointing. Also a brushed metal plaque might be classier than the moulded logo. There's nothing too challenging about the deco shapes so I might reconstruct the top of the base out of styrene.

Hehe, I'm too cheap to try the superfine. I noticed you are in the UK from the Silent Running thread - Milliput is local for you so you are lucky ;)

You should get a close up pic of the base, can't really tell much. Truth be told I find the base the most fun part of a model (when it doesn't come with one or it's too bland) because then you get to go all creative.

I just thought I'd mention (as it seems you haven't worked with vinyl before and you are contemplating surgery) sanding vinyl is really hard because it's so soft. It leaves burrs(?) and you can't get a very smooth surface unless you putty over it or get it smooth enough to fix the rest with a few coats of primer. I heard some people have used a steel brush to remove the burrs. I have yet to try that but diamond files and persistence give a good surface or better yet a dremel at high speed, very fine grit and a very light touch :) I find it works best to have a very sharp scalpel and a hairdryer handy, slicing off very fine layers instead of sanding. This is the drawback of vinyl unfortunately. Maybe you won't have any problems if you intend to cover the areas with metal strip anyway, but I thought I'd give you a heads up.

Looking forward to seeing you tackle it.

Thanks again! I've made a couple of vinyl kits years ago but I didn't need to do more that trim the parts.

Perhaps Mr Surfacer 500 to help smooth sanded areas? I saw in mentioned on a blog about the same kit. Any experience using that stuff on Vinyl?

Vinyl can warp and sag over time. I've heard of people filling vinyl kits with something to help them keep their shape. You may want to ask around about that.

Perhaps Mr Surfacer 500 to help smooth sanded areas? I saw in mentioned on a blog about the same kit. Any experience using that stuff on Vinyl?
Every video and blog post I've seen of Mr. Surfacer makes it seem like a wonderful product, except the fumes. I've got sensitive people around me so I try to stay away from the stronger stuff. Going back to Milliput diluted with water it's a common trick with miniature painters to give metal minis a coat of it to get any pitting or rough surface out so that would work too. Also, any primer should do (I forgot to mention that) My friend uses tamiya, I now use vallejo's pu acrylic and shoot through an airbrush. I have to say the best results I got was with Games Workshops old primers who someone identified as car primers (halfords) if memory serves me right. Much better bite. It makes no difference though unless you are going to play with it like an action figure.

Vinyl can warp and sag over time. I've heard of people filling vinyl kits with something to help them keep their shape. You may want to ask around about that.

Personally I think it's a bit overstated. It's definitely an issue with big models that have wings or more dynamic stances where the model is prone to lean. If you live in an area where it gets hot, then you also need to take some measures. A figure that is standing straight up with no flaying arms does not really need any filling in my experience. I suppose it's a case by case thing. I would at most loop a thick wire and get the ends in each leg (bent to fill out the shoes) pour a tiny bit of plaster up to the knees to keep it in place if I was worried.

I'm not sure if the arms here are several pieces or not. Then again if this has been displayed for some time and it's kept it's shape so far...

You can fill the lower legs with plaster, that way when you mount it to the base, you can drill holes for pins and actually have something to drill into! Be careful with spray primers, as enamels will react badly with the vinyl and never really dry... Makes the surface gooey - That's how I ruined my Robocop model...Try spraying some acrylic paint onto it, it won't hurt the vinyl.

Be careful with spray primers, as enamels will react badly with the vinyl and never really dry... Makes the surface gooey - That's how I ruined my Robocop model...Try spraying some acrylic paint onto it, it won't hurt the vinyl.

I used enamels on my very first vinyl kit (that horrible 18" Halcyon Alien that was based on the old Kenner toy). It didn't suffer too badly and the paints dried, but it did make its spindly legs even softer so it spent much of the late 90s falling off shelves :)

I hear the Tamiya white primer is a good mix for vinyl and although a lacquer, it's acrylic based.

Now, I have thought about filling the legs, but as the model's already got metal rods to support it, I'm just going to pack in some newspaper around those to give it a bit more internal support.

I just discovered your thread and am delighted to see someone taking on this project. I have the same statue that has been sitting in its original box for years. I am planning on making some of the same changes that you appear to be doing such as filling the seams, replacing loops or clasps essentially anything that will add more detail before painting. Really looking forward to seeing what you care able to do with this classic statue.

By the way, are you sure that the statue is made from vinyl? I started cleaning up some of the surface details using my Dremel and quite honestly it has the consistency of resin. I have worked with vinyl kits before and this one seems to be different. Am I crazy?

By the way, are you sure that the statue is made from vinyl? I started cleaning up some of the surface details using my Dremel and quite honestly it has the consistency of resin. I have worked with vinyl kits before and this one seems to be different. Am I crazy?

Is this what you have? fdecandiamaria03.jpg when taken apart? I found this on culttvman. It's the Masudaya statue, and it's vinyl. While I don't have it - looking at the pop in joints it definitely looks like it.

Yep, mine is the Masudaya and I believe you are right. Its appears to be vinyl. Not that it makes a big difference but the material just seems denser as if it has resin mixed in with the vinyl. I have found this particular piece to be more rigid and less likely to fall over etc. Can you think of other ways to improve or enhance this otherwise hard to find statue?

Star Lord. By definition vinyl is a resin (feel free to skip):
A viscous substance that converts into a solid. That is semantics though, I get what you mean. You are thinking of urethane plastics, epoxy or even polyester. Well - basically there is no standard for vinyl. PVC largely gets it's specific rigidity or "rubberiness" by way of additives. Most action figures are made of pvc but so are most plumbing pipes in houses. Vastly different properties. I have an interest since I also collect and paint tabletop miniatures and with the advent of kickstarter that business has exploded in the last 5 years, with vinyl becoming the goto material given it's vastly cheaper production costs as compared to PS, PU resin or metal. I've seen horrible examples and it went as far as the producers trying to cover up what material was being used by giving it vague names such as "hard plastic" or simply "not that soft plastic that is hard to work with" lol. I can say that I am starting to come around as I have held some really good vinyl minis in hand. Some of the better products even take sanding quite well as supposed to the earlier ones. I think it's a shame that big figure kits have all but disappeared giving into the ready made collectible market, especially now when tech is catching up and making it easier to produce molds and even materials have matured. Sorry for the little bla bla bla. Hehe - if you read this far - I did put it in a spoiler for your consideration.

I think the statue looks awesome and I must admit I went on ebay and looked for it, but yeah - too expensive for me. I think most of what can, and should be improved has already been mentioned by the OP, and I've seen the same thing done in other builds when I did a search (metal clasps). I think the hardest part will be that midriff seam. I also saw another build-up of this kit on this site actually, by Forbidden Zone, that reposed the kit and put her on a chair. Looked fantastic.

So I envy you guys that get to build this, but I will definitely enjoy your journey. Please post pics of the process!

Last edited by a moderator:

Basementdweller- Thanks for the input regarding the nature of vinyl, resin etc. I did read it and appreciate your sharing it with me. It sounds like you have seen other builds on other forums (?). Could you send me any links that you have encountered regarding upgrades to this statue? A few years ago I ran across an amazing project build doing many of the things that I had hoped to do to on this one. Unfortunately, I cant find it now that I need it. I am anxious to not only see what Automaton has in store for his statue but also what you have found as well. Thanks again!

No problem:) Well the easiest way to get you 4 links straight up is for you to scroll down while you are on this thread - it says "similar threads" with links at the bottom.

The others I found were :

This has great pictures really showing what you need to do.
https://chriswauchop.com/2015/11/25/masudayas-15-scale-automaton-maria-from-metropolis/

Here is a collection of related builds on culttvman - the last two are of this kit.
http://culttvman.com/main/tag/maria/

Thanks all. It's going to be an interesting project. I'm gathering supplies and will have some progress in a couple of weeks. I don't think I can do many more modifications here - she's the most accurate sculpt I've seen. Although, I think the back of the real costume was different and the detail on her solar plexus is a little soft.

By the way, Chris Wachoup's build is a current inspiration of mine and where I got the idea for replacing the leg clasps. I think his modifications are spot on! Such a great build.

Thanks BD for the links. I have seen these in the past and I agree that Chris' build is one of the best and a good inspiration. There was another build that I cannot find at present that performed the same mods as Chris but went one step farther by opening up three of the rectangular "clasps" that are found on Maria's upper thigh. This seemingly small change had a nice effect on the statue overall. Any thoughts on paint? One of the referenced builds used burnt aluminum by Alclad II. Looked pretty awesome.

Alclad's enamel so you'd need to be careful that the primer covers well and is fully cured before spraying it. I'm not sure I'd risk it. I was considering decent chrome silver spray with a dull coat to diffuse it further and a black wash/subtle pastel shading. The silver often has more of an aluminium feel with that treatment.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back