Scratch-Built M56 Smart Gun Full-Metal Airsoft Replica- Update 5/9/16

Garviel Loken

Hey guys! For a few weeks I've been planning and working on a functioning airsoft replica of the M56 Smart Gun! My goals for the project were to have it be functioning and relatively practical for airsoft use, along with having some similar functions to the Smart Gun such as firing from both the forward control switch and rear grip trigger/lever. The project isn't identical to the original, however, so I'm going to call it something like the M56a2, M56-2 or M56e2, something along those lines (if you have a suggestion for the name, feel free to comment!). The entire gun is aluminum, bolted or riveted into place, nothing is strictly glued or epoxied. With how heavy this bugger is and considering that I plan on playing airsoft with it, it needs to be sturdy.

As for functionality, the vertical grey switch will act as a safety. When in its rear position it cuts off the battery, making it unable to fire, then when pushed forward it reconnects the circuit so it'll fire. Like I said earlier, both triggers can fire the gun. The battery will actually be stored inside the chestplate, then run along the stabilizer arm into the control box. The MG42 grip cant be cut off because of the motor, so what I'm going to do (since I'm not going for an identical replica) is to make a box the encapsulates the motor and grip, but doesn't retain the shape so that it hides it (let's just call it a fire rate accelerator or something haha).

It will have an IR shot sensor that'll connect to the counter on the drum cover that will count each shot leaving the barrel. To make reloads more practical and simpler, the drum cover will also be mounted to the feed tray cover rather than the drum, that way there are less wires to unplug and less weight and other stuff to fiddle with when reloading. If you look at some of the pics below, you'll also notice a green laser wired into the control unit. That is going to be hidden inside the IR Camera box, so rather than have useless weight on the front, it'll hide the laser. The laser is controlled by a small on/off switch on the control switch and will help me aim the gun when I'm using it to play airsoft. Lastly, since I am using this for airsoft and want to make it fairly practical, I'm going to upgrade the internals to fire at between 350-400 fps, but also maintaining a fairly high rate of fire. I'm willing to sacrifice some of the fps to maintain a nice rate of fire, but I don't want anything lower than 300fps.

I'll keep posting updates along the way, and i hope you all enjoy this project! I'll also put up some pics and stuff of my airsoft M41a Pulse Rifle (functioning thompson and underbarrel 870) in a separate thread. Stay frosty!

IMG_20160504_142403961_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160504_142431052_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160426_194308809.jpg

IMG_20160426_194238612.jpg

IMG_20160426_143823518.jpg

Last edited:
Re: M56 Smart Gun Airsoft Replica

Awesome! So, you already have a steadicam rig?

No, not yet unfortunately. I've been looking at various rigs that won't end up costing me an arm and a leg, and I think the Camtree rig will work well enough. Since this build isn't going to be half as heavy as the original smartgun, I also won't need as much support strength, so the option I'm looking at should work well enough. Glad you guys like it!

Re: M56 Smart Gun Airsoft Replica

This has been a terrific Father and Son build so far, soooo much fun. Being we have similar looking parts as the screen used Smartgun we are making our own design. We are adding stamped serial numbers and other small details to make it more realistic! It also has been a great learning experience, working with metal is tough but we are getting better every day. One thing that we did was weld aluminum together with rods from Harbor Freight. use a blow torch, get the temp. to 700 degrees and run the rod on the joint. SOOOO strong. http://www.harborfreight.com/weldin...-temperature-aluminum-welding-rods-44810.html
We will keep posting pics! hope ya like
Dean

Re: Scratch-Built M56 Smart Gun Full-Metal Airsoft Replica

Updates soon! The gun itself is probably about 60-70% done, hope for pics soon by tonight!

It looks fantastic! Please post a video of it in action when it is ready to demonstrate.

Update time! Over the past three days we were able to build the trigger box body and attach it to the gun using cotter pins. For the linkage we used a copper pipe with connectors cut to length, then soldered on. The muzzle brake is also attached, looks awesome too! The trigger box and a few other things will get more details, so it's not just a flat slab.

IMG_20160509_171043602.jpgIMG_20160509_171027035.jpgIMG_20160509_171015800.jpg

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back