Rogue One Vader costume

His outer cape is pulled so far forward on the SD that it pretty much doesn't matter.

Look at Vader's cape when he's in his castle, it practically covers his entire front. On The Devastator before the rampage scene you can see quite a lot of his chest armor on his right which is our left and in the documentary on the Blu-ray bonus disc the scene is actually lightened up by a lot.

There is an article online somewhere and I'll have to look for it again. where it shows the blue screen shot of Vader walking towards Krennic and he had in the armor was under the cloak just as it was in the completed effects shot.

Before and after VFX
JK-01-10-VFX-04-vAfter-775x325.jpg

Thank you for posting this. This proves that the Mustafar scene was reshot with robes over armor and not that stupid CGI theory (I have friends who work in the VFX industry and they did many Hollywood movies and they already said that it would cost more to CGI the robe over armor than reshooting it. The man hours to CGI the robes in every shot would be crazy when it is something that they could just reshoot in a day.

Modeling fabric to move realistically is one of the hardest thing (the other thing is hair) to get right in VFX and it something they absolutely hate doing.

This also shows that despite Spencer Wilding getting top billing, he really only has minimal screentime in this.

All the early critism about how the Vader walk and posture is off can now be said to be wrongly attributed to Wilding and is more likely to do with the fact that Naprous has very little time to learn the body language of Prowse.

It was said that from the idea of reshooting to it actually happening it took only a week.

Last edited:
I can't see the smoking gun in that shot; the outer cloak is pulled so far forward, it's covering where the inner robe would go.

Considering everyone seems to be speculating based on screen-caps and still pics (no one has revealed themselves as having been present during any filming, nor do we have any actors present, nor anyone from the prop or costume departments), calling other people's ideas "silly" or "stupid" seems a bit, umm... what's the word...

...Regardless of what seems to be borne out in the most recent images.

That said, CGI for a piece of cloth doesn't seem to be too outrageous of an idea to me, considering that
two entire characters were CGI (ok, shoulders and up, or CGI heads, or however they did it.
I don't think they did, but adding some black cloth doesn't seem like it would be an Oscar-worthy undertaking for the effects crew.

And stepping even further back, I personally find this whole issue even less exciting that The Great Codpiece Debacle. :lol

This also shows that despite Spencer Wilding getting top billing, he really only has minimal screentime in this.

All the early critism about how the Vader walk and posture is off can now be said to be wrongly attributed to Wilding and is more likely to do with the fact that Naprous has very little time to learn the body language of Prowse.

It was said that from the idea of reshooting to it actually happening it took only a week.

It's a damn shame that neither Spencer Wilding nor Daniel Naprous was interviewed for the Blu-ray special features. Maybe someone on YouTube can get to work on that.

The man hours to CGI the robes in every shot would be crazy when it is something that they could just reshoot in a day.

Modeling fabric to move realistically is one of the hardest thing (the other thing is hair) to get right in VFX and it something they absolutely hate doing.
That probably explains why the CGI Vader looks so godawful in Revenge of the Sith...

I don't like the look of Darth Vader at the end of Revenge Of The Sith either. George Lucas should've made Vader look like his A New Hope self.
That wasn't what I meant. The design actually grew on me (unlike the film), but there is a shot at the end showing him from behind and for whatever reason that is a CGI shot and it's so glaringly obvious just by looking at the cape which tallies up with the idea of fabric being really difficult to CGI.

That wasn't what I meant. The design actually grew on me (unlike the film), but there is a shot at the end showing him from behind and for whatever reason that is a CGI shot and it's so glaringly obvious just by looking at the cape which tallies up with the idea of fabric being really difficult to CGI.

I don't believe that there was a CGI Vader in Revenge Of The Sith. Give me a screenshot.

I don't believe that there was a CGI Vader in Revenge Of The Sith. Give me a screenshot.

I noticed watching Ep3 on TNT during May 4th weekend that the scene of Vader walking away from the camera toward the Emperor at the end looked very CGI, but it may have been just poor compositing. (I was standing about 3 feet away from my 55inch 1080p watching that scene when I noticed it)

I've never noticed this on my blu-rays, but the edited-for-TV movies are zoomed-in 'widescreen' versions and many composited shots look terrible/fake

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back