Rogue One Vader costume

saw this pop up on line, looks like Hot Toys got it right for the most part
Rouge One Vader.jpg

The costume can certainly be picked-apart from photos, and rightfully so. But I'm most interested in how Vader looks in the movie. What I mean is, does he looks like Darth Vader or does he look like a guy in a costume. Given the differences between, for example, ANH and ESB, I'm more interested that in R1 he looks like Darth Vader and I'm less interested that he looks exactly like ANH.

Crazy theory, but I wonder if he wears both over the shoulder armor capes and under the shoulder armor capes. Wouldn't it be crazy if they had him in under wearing under the shoulder armor capes but the capes are trashed during a fight, and then they used the un-used footage of Vader that was shot in 1976 for ANH when he's in armor without capes just before the Star Destroyer goes after the Tantive 4.

If you don't remember the scene, I believe it's in the Star Wars storybook with a photo also. I'll try to dig up the photo tomorrow.

I don't know if it's fair saying this but this is, essentially, the ESB/RotJ Vader redressed with some ANH-esque features. I suppose the general consensus is that that is the "ideal" Vader look to most people.

Considering Disney is all about appealing to the lowest common denominator, I guess it wouldn't matter to them all that much to get it exactly right. Just something close that most people can recognize.

It's pretty clear that they were attempting to recreate the ANH specific costume.
Even down to details like the barely slightly crooked aluminum part of the original ANH screen-used buckle that they over-exaggerated the crookedness on the R1 version.
Why they would choose to go after a detail like that (and over exaggerate something that was never meant to be a meaningful detail in the first place) but then miss the mark so hard on some of the others is disappointing.

I absolutely agree that they missed the mark on doing not just the ANH Vader but the proportions but, again, I have to concede to the fact that they had an ESB/RotJ base (from what I remember reading) and tried to reverse engineer that back into the ANH and just wound up keeping a good lot of the later films' details and kinda blew everything else out of proportion.

You do realize this is the "Replica Prop Forum", where we discuss and examine props in the smallest detail. If that bothers you, may I suggest the Rogue One thread in the entertainment section. I am sure you can post there how cool it is to see Vader again.

Yeah, I know where I am. Also CSMacLaren finish up that ROTS helm so you can start this thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always loved that "capeless" Vader shot. There are a few similar shots taken from the same days filming floating around out there. Pretty sure they are rehearsal shots from the scene where the Imperial Officer (dubbed by Harry Shearer!) gives Vader the status report on the Millennium Falcon then Vader orders a scanning crew on board "I want every part of this ship checked".

There is a different "capeless" Vader photo in the Red Series Star Wars #132, possibly from the scene where Tarkin questions Leia. Vader appears to not be wearing the inner cloak either. It's difficult to tell 100% what's going on as the photo has been retouched. It reduces Vader's helmet somewhat so I don't know what else has been over painted (though to me it looks like the helmet is the main victim). They used a close-up of the retouched Vader from this shot in Yellow Series Card #196 as well:

http://snakeandboris.blogspot.com/2013/12/sw-trading-cards-series-2-1977.html

Last edited:
Yeah, the cod piece is disappointing. The shoulders are not as bad as the promo art suggested, which is a good thing.

Regardless, it's a shame they didn't reach out to resources available but I think the majority of people are going to be happy with this Vader.

Yeah, the puffy Cod and the weird curvature to the armor bugs me but I'll get used to this variation in time no doubt. Of course after all this what if all we see of Vader is like Luke's cameo at the end of Force Awakens? lol!

I am by far no Vader expert. But now with those comparison pictures Gino posted, man is the R1 COD piece over sized

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back