Rogue One Vader costume

Before I say this I want to be very clear that I am in no way trying to be an ass about this movie. I am over the moon about it. I couldn't be more excited. It's just that The ANH Stormy is very close to my heart.

None of it from sculpting,trimming or assembly is ANH Stormtrooper accurate. Yes it looks like a Stormtrooper and most won't notice or care but the original armor flowed so well from part to part but this new armor has huge gaps between parts,oversized and disproportionate parts and also a more general fat profile compared to the originals more sleaker streamlined sculpt. The original was a true iconic work of art but this......well it's just a bad copy.

Not putting a dampner on the movie as I love what I see and I've heard all the excuses on why they changed the armor but it is what it is and this is Just my opinion on what I soooo hoped would be more true to the original. As for Vader,well anything is better than that damn EPIII mess. Lol

Do you think that perhaps the decision to make their own "version" of the ANH armor was more a choice of practicality on top of them also not wanting a go at a true-ANH replication out of pure film individuality?

The best way I thought of the differences is that it's a transitional armor-set, bridging the few similarities of the Clonetrooper armor into the OT Classic TK armor. If not that, I think for the level of action that's implied, to do a true ANH set would have been much more physically restrictive. To add, we don't know yet if the ones we've seen so far have just been "stunt" versions VS a potentially unseen Hero suit.

Speculation and theories aside, I wouldn't throw out the idea that they just wanted to make their own thing. It's just like questioning why ESB TK's and ROTJ TK's are so different between the other films despite the short time-frames. As of now, we only speculate that the operation to steal the death star plans was very short (probably is) but for all we know the time between them acquiring the plans and then seeing Leia on Tantive IV being chased by the star destroyer could have been a span of months to a year prior (maybe even longer)

Not putting a dampner on the movie as I love what I see and I've heard all the excuses on why they changed the armor but it is what it is and this is Just my opinion on what I soooo hoped would be more true to the original. As for Vader,well anything is better than that damn EPIII mess. Lol

"Excuses" implies there isn't a valid reason for the changes. I think there are valid reasons.

For anyone that plays paintball, do you think you would do better wearing ANH Stormtrooper armor or what the rebels wear? The ANH armor looks great, but isn't practical for action.

I would prefer that some of the changes were done differently. I'm not enthusiastic about how the R1 armor looks either, but I understand why they needed to make changes.

The ANH armor seems to be more for show than action.

The Stormtrooper is one of the most iconic baddies in the pop culture and even more. Despite the fact that I totally love the unaltered wonky, bumpy armor and helmet (and I'm not interested in a symmetrical, perfect, idealized Stormtrooper), I kinda understand the reasons behind of making a new more symmetrical suit in tone with the present cinematic quality, easier to work in, and which looks a tad more idealized on screen than the classic one. I wish they kept the original unaltered armor for Rogue One, but that wouldn't happen at today's hi-def standards.

I always thought it was a huge misstep in Revenge of the Sith that the Vader suit looked nothing like the ANH -- or any other -- version. It sounds like they're at least trying in the new movie.

Agreed. With as much (or little) effort as Lucas put into making the last 5 minutes of ROTS try to visually bridge the second trilogy with A New Hope (showing Tantive IV, the simplified modeling of the star destroyers, the ESB style Star Destroyer bridge with Vader and the Emperor), Lucas failed miserably with the glossy, symmetrical, jet black Vader helmet.

Rogue-One-stormtroopher-set-photos.jpg

tank.png

Posting these for comparison sake - but also note, on the original troopers, the gaps were kinda kitty wampus - thigh gaps, knee gaps, shoulder gaps - rather inconsistent from one trooper to the next. I agree the older TK armor is more organic and flowing, but the R1 armor is still a pretty good representation of the original armor. It could be wildly worse. I actually like the bucket they created - it's pretty damn faithful to the original stunt helmet.

Cheers.

Before I say this I want to be very clear that I am in no way trying to be an ass about this movie. I am over the moon about it. I couldn't be more excited. It's just that The ANH Stormy is very close to my heart.

None of it from sculpting,trimming or assembly is ANH Stormtrooper accurate. Yes it looks like a Stormtrooper and most won't notice or care but the original armor flowed so well from part to part but this new armor has huge gaps between parts,oversized and disproportionate parts and also a more general fat profile compared to the originals more sleaker streamlined sculpt. The original was a true iconic work of art but this......well it's just a bad copy.

View attachment 627597

View attachment 627598

Posting these for comparison sake - but also note, on the original troopers, the gaps were kinda kitty wampus - thigh gaps, knee gaps, shoulder gaps - rather inconsistent from one trooper to the next. I agree the older TK armor is more organic and flowing, but the R1 armor is still a pretty good representation of the original armor. It could be wildly worse. I actually like the bucket they created - it's pretty damn faithful to the original stunt helmet.

Cheers.

Hear me out but I think the trooper in the foreground of the Rogue One image is a female....

Agreed. With as much (or little) effort as Lucas put into making the last 5 minutes of ROTS try to visually bridge the second trilogy with A New Hope (showing Tantive IV, the simplified modeling of the star destroyers, the ESB style Star Destroyer bridge with Vader and the Emperor), Lucas failed miserably with the glossy, symmetrical, jet black Vader helmet.

I thought the first time we saw the Vader suit in ROTS it should have been simpler and more about life support than the final costume. Some of the more decorative parts like the cape could have been added for the scene on the star destroyer. If you are trying to save someone's life, I don't think the look of the suit would be the top priority.

It makes sense that there would be differences with the ROTS suit and the ANH suit. There was a pretty good span of time between them. Perhaps the choices made for the ROTS suit could have been better, but having it look exactly the same wouldn't have made sense.

The R1 suit should look virtually the same as ANH unless events in R1 show changes happening to the suit.

Hear me out but I think the trooper in the foreground of the Rogue One image is a female....
you know what, I think you are on to something with that. the cod armor looks more flat in that pic, as well the thigh armor looks significantly different from say this trooper
desert-trooper-rogue-one-star-wars.JPG
in this pic you can easily tell that the thigh armor is more faithful to the OT trooper in that it nearly meets up with the belt.

you know what, I think you are on to something with that. the cod armor looks more flat in that pic, as well the thigh armor looks significantly different from say this trooper
View attachment 628118
in this pic you can easily tell that the thigh armor is more faithful to the OT trooper in that it nearly meets up with the belt.

6 years in the legion I can tell you that the aforementioned trooper has thigh armor cut down much like most girls do for TK armor and appears to have wider hips. I'm wondering if it is just a female extra or perhaps a certain character in desguise

I see how that gaps varied even in the top line up photo where all were pretty much standing up straight and in pretty much same positions, While in the Rogue One photo they are walking and turned more to side view slightly. The gaps varied in the original trilogy as well. So don't use one or two troopers gaps or lackthereof as the norm for all troopers in either the OT or R1 shot.

View attachment 627597

View attachment 627598

Cheers.

I see how that gaps varied even in the top line up photo where all were pretty much standing up straight and in pretty much same positions, While in the Rogue One photo they are walking and turned more to side view slightly. The gaps varied in the original trilogy as well. So don't use one or two troopers gaps or lackthereof as the norm for all troopers in either the OT or R1 shot.

Your missing what I'm saying. I'm saying the gaps vary in the OT, and they do. It's not just one still that denotes this. There are other instances - watch the movies or look at other stills. It had to have been a result of the fast turn around for the production.

In the R1 trailer, the gaps are just wider in general (not necessarily varied) - likely on purpose rather than by mistake. Again, I'm only using one still as an example. Go look at other stills or watch the trailer, and it's readily apparent.

I thought the first time we saw the Vader suit in ROTS it should have been simpler and more about life support than the final costume. Some of the more decorative parts like the cape could have been added for the scene on the star destroyer. If you are trying to save someone's life, I don't think the look of the suit would be the top priority.

It makes sense that there would be differences with the ROTS suit and the ANH suit. There was a pretty good span of time between them. Perhaps the choices made for the ROTS suit could have been better, but having it look exactly the same wouldn't have made sense.

The R1 suit should look virtually the same as ANH unless events in R1 show changes happening to the suit.

I tend not to overthink the reasons why Lucas chose the ROTS Vader helmet, and for some reason I'm fairly sure Lucas didn't either. :lol

For consistency sake, using the same mold (shape and paint color) from the ANH helmet to make the ROTS helmet would have made too much sense for Lucas. It didn't have to be all scuffed up - it was "new". So sure, it could have been glossy and shiny.

- - - Updated - - -

It's also likely something 97 percent of the public would not really notice. Just the prop geeks

Oh fer sure. :D

From behind the scenes videos they showed some good information on how the ROTS helmet was made and the inspiration behind it.

It seems there was a lot of thought on the ROTS Vader. I think Lucas thought less on the ANH Vader than ROTS.

From behind the scenes videos they showed some good information on how the ROTS helmet was made and the inspiration behind it.

It seems there was a lot of thought on the ROTS Vader. I think Lucas thought less on the ANH Vader than ROTS.
It might have been that way, because he didn't care too much for it in the beginning, but later in the prequals he wanted to re create the perfect Vader to appeal original watchers of the films, with the dark, ominous presence that was Darth Vader. Just my 2 cents though:)

Alex

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

SPOILER ALERT. this could be legit!

image.jpgimage.jpg
This was on facebook... forgot who postedd it. But, it seems legit... loks like ANH pieces are mixed in with more updated pieces. Armor looks to be just classic OT, paint job looks clean, helmet is definitely ANH but clean. Can't see enough of the chest box to tell, but it also looks ANH.

It could be that Vader has a fight in this movie...and in this fight the glossy ROTS look became the battledamaged look of the ANH version!:lol

We already know that his helmet has been damaged, and probably replaced, with the battle against Ahsoka. So his armor has changed already in canon since ROTS.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back