Reznor9's Custom Batarang: Arkham/Dawn of Justice Inspired [Finished]

Reznor9

Sr Member
After completion of my Reznor9's Custom Red Hood Batarang: Dawn of Justice Inspired [Picture Heavy] I felt I wanted to take the design queues a bit further with a larger prop. Personally my favorite batarang has been the ones used in the arkham games. They are huge, foldable and just look intimidating as all hell. Like I had said in the Red Hood Batarang thread, I really liked the design of the Dawn of Justice batarangs so I thought, what the heck... lets keep going with that.

Once again it started with a sketch. I loaded up a picture of the Arkham Batarang and started drawing on top of it with the ArtStudio app on my iPhone in an attempt to maintain the rough dimensions of the item.

I of course sketched out the open position as well.

The item was then modeled and rendered.

Item was then printed. (sorry for the terrible pic) The raw print was then along side the Neca Arkham Knight Batarang so size comparisons can be seen. My design is a little bulkier, but it fits well in the hand and just feels deadly. The batarang when open, is about 16" in length.

Currently in the process of smoothing this out for molding and casting. Once again I need to figure out how to create a two part mold since this item is double sided.
Currently no ETA on completion but hopefully within the coming weeks. Hope you like the design and enjoyed the process.

Last edited:
Re: Reznor9's Custom Foldable Batarang: Arkham/Dawn of Justice Inspired [Picture Heav

Couple coats of filler primer and some thin layers of bondo putty later.

Re: Reznor9's Custom Foldable Batarang: Arkham/Dawn of Justice Inspired [Picture Heav

my wife decided to get the ball rolling on this and we clayed up half the Batarang for my first experience with two part molds. Punched in some registration keys and put down a pour spout and some little vents to prevent air pockets from forming. First half of the mold has been poured and is curing. I'm crossing my fingers that I'm doing everything right. If so I'll be pouring the second half tonight.

Last edited:

Well you guys make a great team, this looks great.

Mold le came out great. I did however find that the caps that attach them need to be modified to make the folding more fluid. Working on a new cap model right now.

After my test casting I cleaned it up and removed all the flash and sanded down visible seam lines. I then primered the pieces and put two layers of metallic aluminum.
D

afterwards I masked off the blades edges and applied 2 coats of gloss black.

Last at thing I did was take some sandpaper and scuff up all the edges and surfaces. I then put a satin coat of acrylic clear to protect the paint.

And that's the end of the build. The prototype came out fairly decent. I'm thinking I'll tint the resin black on my next castings and just airbrush or hand paint the silver accents.

32601126485_6eae4f4a9f_c.jpg
Untitled by Jerry Adams, on Flickr
32560566686_6dc4025240_c.jpg
32560567166_0ae6548422_c.jpg
32221941910_6a38848d01_c.jpg

Havent made this thing in a long time but I had a customer asking about it so I offered to make one from scratch as I was unhappy with the mold I made for it. Reprinted and painted as an ABS print. This one came out a lot smoother and nicer than my first... So I just wanted to revive this thread and share.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back