First Model Kit Build in 30+ Years!

Boxcar Bret

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I used to be super into building models as a kid. To the point of an obsession where my vision eclipsed my skills. I would buy the original MPC Star Wars kits and weather them. When I learned about ILM and kit bashing I amassed all the surplus parts/and kits I could and made my own original spacecraft. I then moved on to 1/35 scale military models and 1/48 scale aircraft. The ceiling of my room looked like the National Air and Space Museum. I would spend hours weathering vehicles and building dioramas for know reason other than chasing my dragon. I ended up chasing a different dragon later in life but "that's a story for another time."

And then puberty hit. Hard.

Models went away and I was all about touching boob. Well, dozens of boobs later I'm married and have a solid career reboot but I never returned to my favorite hobby. I was active on the sidelines of the RPF and dabbled in the occasional prop when I was in the 501st, but never jumped back in the game.

And then Tested came along.

Like others I went down the rabbit hole of watching the builds on YouTube and they excited me. Watching Will, Norm, Adam and Frank doing builds inspired me. I started to watch others on YouTube for techniques and info on advances in materials. Acrylic paint on plastic? I guess we skipped over jetpacks.

When I saw the post on Tested.com on the Gundam build I saw Norm quickly show a little orange pod thing that caught my eye. For the record I am not into Gundam and anime bores me to tears. But something caught my eye with it and figured out which kit it was and ordered one. After several trips to the hobby store for miscellaneous tools I sat down and snipped off the first part.

In no time I was back in the zone and a place I even listened to some the music that was on the radio when I young. (REO Speedwagon and Xanadu. Don't judge me.) All this is to say "Thank you" Tested for inspiring me to get back into something I never knew I missed. Below are pictures from the build and I look forward to sharing more.

IMG_1307_zpsyc1wpyxe.jpg

IMG_1306_zpskstmz0up.jpg

IMG_1310_zpsaujyxkbr.jpg

IMG_1313_zpssjlfxgis.jpg

IMG_1298_zpshakienhy.jpg

IMG_1315_zps40yvxd8y.jpg

Models went away and I was all about touching boob.

No, I get it. Boobs are magical.

And then Tested came along.

Oh yes. I love that show. Those guys are pretty inspiring. One of Adam's one day builds, a LEGO automaton Sisyphus statue, has singlehandly rekindled my love for those little expensive bastards.

But, yeah, your build of the orange anime thingie is quite nice. I especially love it paired with the bowl of oranges. You did a great job.

Also I see from your location that we're neighbors. Maybe we'll bump into each other one day.

Cheers!

--Alex

Welcome back!
Nice build, love the subtle weathering. I guess those skills you learn early never go away.

A Master Grade Ball. Nice.

I built one of those a few years ago, just because the design reminded me of the pods from 2001. Also because it was a nice kit.

Depending on how much you like that kit, there are a couple other versions, including one with clear panels so you can see all the cool guts inside.

Here's a build-up by someone else, customized in a humorous way: http://fichtenfoo.net/blog/in-progress-»-hamster-ball/

And the final beauty shots: http://fichtenfoo.net/blog/completed-»-rb-79-mobile-pod-ball/

It really does cry out for some kind of maintenance diorama, to show off all the details under the skin.

Welcome back to modeling!

-MJ

Looks great! Great work and welcome back. I spent about 15 years before getting back into it. It's a bit like an orange anime version of the pods from 2001: A Space Odyssey... a nice design.

NICE JOB....i think i have to pick up a kit myself. I recently started up again when i saw the Bandai Star Wars series and fell in love...it's been about 35yrs since my last model but unlike you i sucked at building back then...hahaha

NICE JOB....i think i have to pick up a kit myself. I recently started up again when i saw the Bandai Star Wars series and fell in love...it's been about 35yrs since my last model but unlike you i sucked at building back then...hahaha

Just jump in and do it and don't do it for anything more than your own enjoyment. I used to be super intimidated to show my work, especially with so many incredibly talented people around here. Now I only do it for myself and don't care about things like screen accurate or canon. I do what I think looks good. I've also gotten over my ego and ask people how they do certain techniques. I've found that the coolest people always share info. That's how we all learn. Watch videos too. There are tons of videos of techniques on YouTube. I'm partial to these guys:

helgan65
Doctor Faust's Painting Clinic
togamo modelworx
emodelsuk

Jump in and have fun! Can't wait to see your future projects.

I finished my first model a couple of months ago and slowly been buying other Bandai Star Wars kits and F-toys. I looked at all the Star Wars post here and watched Dr. Faust vids before starting my AT-ST....here are some pics....i tried to use Tamiya weather powder but it ended looking like yellow diarrhea as you can see in the pics but overall i am happy with it. Chewbacca was the first figure i ever painted.
2016-03-15 11.26.41.jpg
2016-03-15 11.27.14.jpg
2016-03-19 10.17.40.jpg
2016-03-10 19.01.26.jpg
2016-03-10 cleaned and painted2.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

will check out all the YouTube vids you recommend...thanks

bcgd....i forgot to mention that i saw your "orange ball" yesterday at the model/toy store and the display model looked like crap!!! It's amazing the difference a good build will make...quick question...did you custom add the red hoses on top of the "hands"...it wasn't on the display.

bcgd....i forgot to mention that i saw your "orange ball" yesterday at the model/toy store and the display model looked like crap!!! It's amazing the difference a good build will make...quick question...did you custom add the red hoses on top of the "hands"...it wasn't on the display.

The red wire / tube is included with the kit. It does have to be cut to length and threaded through those parts. It's a bit fiddly.

-MJ

boobs....:lol...I can't believe you said boobs...I too also love boobs!!....oh and replica props:D...replica boob props:rolleyes??

Nice work on the st-at!!..........I'm the same all those wonderful SW and WW2 models I collected and built, weathered, displayed, I loved them!! Then the boobs came along:facepalm

Years later my mum died and my a-hole dad through them all out:cry that's why the rpf is such a cool place, we can be 12 all over again!!!

Keep building and showing us your builds!!!....great work so far.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back