Reznor9's Batsuit: Arkham Origins V3

Reznor9

Sr Member
This thread will document my third and final version of the origins batsuit.
In 2014 I made my first cosplay, basic but cool for its time... made entirely out of foam and only utilizing basic tools and techniques. Was an awesome experience but I was convinced I could do better.
In 2015 I decided to make my V2. Now having discovered beveled cuts, and taking a very basic understanding of pepakura, I was able to incorporate that into my foam templates as I sought out to make an even more accurate version of the suit. I also utilized terraflex thermoplastic to add some density to the foam and upholstery vinyl to give the armor some depth and texture. I was pretty satisfied with this version of the suit and thought maybe to retire the build.
Now in 2016, Im finding myself playing with new tools and techniques such as 3D printing and mold making/casting... The origins batsuit still being my favorite, Ive decided to give it one more go... my goal is to completely exclude the use of foam in this build and mold the entire suit out of resin and urethane using a mixture of sculpted and 3D modeled pieces... Its not an original idea, but its something Ive wanted to learn to do since the beginning.
Im hoping to have the project completed by October but I have much to learn and anticipate several snags along the way as I am by no means a professional in any of the fields required to make a professional looking suit. Thanks for all the support shown during my first 2 builds and hope that this one maintains some level of interest.

Below is a side by side comparison to my V1 and V2 armor to illustrate the difference a year makes. Hopefully I can make such a leap in detail for my V3.

Last edited:
Re: Batsuit: Arkham Origins V3

The first piece I decided to upgrade was the Origins Belt. There is a thread on it here: Batman Arkham Origins: Resin Utility Belt[Finished]
But the short version... I took some 3D models of the belts pouches, buckle and capsule and printed them out.
After several hours of smoothing, sanding, filling, sanding, filling and sanding I was able to create molds of each item using Mold Max 30 and cast the items in Smooth Cast 300.
For the belt itself I utilized PVC Foam board(SINTRA) and made myself a small belt link in which to duplicate and use between all the pieces to simulate a full linked belt.
25997405553_4b6b58bc1f_n.jpg

All these pieces were then cleaned up, leveled and painted. Using Screws of various sizes I attached them to a 2" heavy duty web belt.
To give the illusion of wear I gave all the pieces a few washes of black acrylic to grime up the surface and depressions and dry brushed some aluminum enamel paint to simulate scratches.

26600164445_b0e199a23b_c.jpg

Work has now begun on these bad boys. They have been 3D modeled based off screenshots of the game and the Arkham Origins NECA figurine. Obviously sized down to normal human proportions. Im currently in the process of printing these out and will shortly begin the tiresome journey of smoothing and finishing the surface for molding. They will be cast in black tinted urethane.
Side note: I purchased some of that XTC-3D from smooth-on... not sure if it really helps eliminate 90% of post finishing work to ABS prints like they claim but I thought Id give it a try. Anyone else try that stuff?

Last edited:

First print of the gauntlet. Not a bad fit but now that I can physically inspect it I think I want to modify the model just a bit. There are some areas and edges I want to contour more to bulk up the design slightly and allow view of the details from more angles, some lines in the design that need to be straightened shifted, etc... A decent prototype thus far but now the tweaking begins.
26804172905_a580460988_z.jpg

Last edited:

Edited the gauntlet model to add a little bulk by giving the edges a slight curve before dropping off. Edited some of the details, straightened some of the design lines while rounding out some of the sharp edges. Thickened the blades a bit as well. Im pretty happy with how it came out and now its time for the long printing process.

Looks great man, I agree the adjustments to make it look a bit fuller and overall better. What 3D printer do you have? Does it print these all in one go or are you making it in different sections then fusing it?

Looks great man, I agree the adjustments to make it look a bit fuller and overall better. What 3D printer do you have? Does it print these all in one go or are you making it in different sections then fusing it?

Thanks man. 14 hours to go on this 40 hour print job.
I'm using the XYZ Da Vinci Pro 1.0. Not a great printer... But for the price it's pretty good.
The build area is only about 7.9" all around so I can't print it all in one piece. Had to split it and print it in two pieces... But luckily they both fit on the build tray together. Looking at them right now they are printing very well so far. Should be done by tomorrow morning. Can't wait to assemble them and see how it turns out!

Finished the print of the edited design and I'm very pleased with the results. Achieved the bulkier look I was after and the edits to the actual design details are even more on point with the game model. Time to start sanding...

Fantastic work man :) let me know how that 3D print stuff works for reducing your work load Im awaiting ny full 3D printed arkham knight Batsuit and dredding the sanding work lol

Sent From The Batcave

Fantastic work man :) let me know how that 3D print stuff works for reducing your work load Im awaiting ny full 3D printed arkham knight Batsuit and dredding the sanding work lol

Sent From The Batcave

yea it sucks. I'm sanding all my batarangs right now and it takes time. But it's worth it in the end.

Do you mean the sanding ducks or the XTC sucks.
The work is all worth it in the end [emoji1]

Sent From The Batcave

Oh, I didn't know you were referring to that stuff... no I havent used it yet. I had already started sanding and using filler primer on my batarangs before I got this stuff so I didn't get to try it. Ill be trying it on my gauntlets though.

Oh, I didn't know you were referring to that stuff... no I havent used it yet. I had already started sanding and using filler primer on my batarangs before I got this stuff so I didn't get to try it. Ill be trying it on my gauntlets though.
Look forward to it been watching review videos it looks like good stuff especially when you have loads to do.

Subscribed btw

Sent From The Batcave

Further development of the gauntlets:
Trying to find the best way to put together the underside of the gauntlet... this was an idea, but would really only work on the 3D printed piece... I can't see a good way to mold that, and even so it wouldn't allow for any kind of adjustable fit... I think Ill simply remove the straps from the model and when I mold it Ill integrate real straps into the urethane.
Also playing with the idea of the hand guard. I love the way it looks in the game, but in real life its going to hinder movement of the wrist to some degree... not sure if that will annoy me too much or not... Ill have to try it out and see i suppose. maybe I can find a way to make it a separate detachable piece or just attach it to my gloves? I dunno... Ill play with it after I print them up and hold them against the gauntlet.

Why not print a full inner section and hand guards separate and cast them then keep the top gauntlet part in plastic that way it's fully adjustable and the handguard can move with you to avoid getting in the way

Sent From The Batcave

Quick print of of the hand guard to see what it would look like. Sizing seems okay. I'll be reprinting the gauntlet with the hand guard this weekend. Need to order more ABS filament.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back