Andromeda Strain Key

Dangerhawk

I made this Wildfire Nuclear Destruct Key from the movie Andromeda Strain.

It was a great project...and essentially no cost.

I created the paper template from a screenshot of the movie.

Three layers of acrylic (CD cases).

Metal (coins) for weight.

Super glue to hold it all together.

Primer and some gloss spray paint.

Some ball chain for the necklace.

A really low cost project.

DH IMG_6931.JPGIMG_6932.JPGIMG_6971.JPGIMG_6986.JPG

That turned out great!
i still have my set of metal keys from the run here several years ago. It's strange, whenever people see the keys in my prop room they love them though they have never heard of the movie! :lol

I scored the layers with an X-acto blade (yes...very brittle). Once all three layers were super glued together, I ground, sanded and filed them to the correct shape. It was a super fun project.

- - - Updated - - -

It is a fantastic movie. I don't have a lot of money...so I try to make my projects with stuff I have laying around. Also...I don't have machining tools...so that limits me to wood and plastic.

I know I'm a little late to the party here, and although at some point I'm probably going to try and reproduce this in PLA on the 3D printer, I took a swing at a different mixed media reproduction style this afternoon:

20170522_191115637_iOS.jpg

Very accurate. And guaranteed to work in the higher levels of the facility where contamination isn't as much of an issue.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back