Disney's Hot Potato Thermal Detonator Game Conversion

Protoss

Like many others I always wanted to have a Thermal Detonator. It is a very iconic prop - with only a couple of seconds of onscreen time in RotJ it continuously returned throughout the spinoffs and books.
And like many others I was not willing to spent hundreds of bucks for a Master Replicas Version (if I even had the chance to get one in our parts :wacko ).
There are many static versions of different levels of quality available. And some come with lights and sound. But none of them won my favor except one - the Disney Hot Potato game. Further details you will find here: http://www.rebelscum.com/Thermal_Detonator_Hot_Potato_Game_Disney_Parks.asp
It is far from screen accurate but with some work it could become a nice close-enough. Some of those games are available from time to time charging insane high prices especially compared to the original retail of $24.95.

A couple of month ago I was able to snag one of those little fellas for a reasonable price. :D
As I inspected it some spots revealed that had to be taken care of:
  • the visible battery compartment with the screw,
  • the noticeable “hole” for the mode switch,
  • the lettering
  • the speaker holes
  • and the overall look. No chrome, dirt or weathering.
So the first step was to build an inner battery compartment. The toy can be opened by accessing the three screws, which are hidden under glued in panels. Dismounting these panels caused some small damage that was removed later along with the gaps of the original compartment.

TD_WIP_1_comp.jpg

The game is powered by four LR44 1.5V batteries. It seemed to be quite laborious to change everything to the inside. Much easier was to change the power support to two 2032 3V batteries incl. the proper compartment. This fits in well and could easily soldered to the circuit board.
I replaced the screws with neodymium magnets to have an easy access.
The bottom was filled with screw nuts and glue to give some additional weight to the prop. Hot glue was used to protect the wires from breaking off the board during the build.

TD_WIP_5.JPG

The mode switch had way more space than needed for operation. I glued in a frame and filled the remaining gap.
Some of the speaker holes were filled also but I left a few otherwise the sound would have been too muffled.
All the lettering and filled gaps were sanded smooth. The notches have been restored and everything was coated with primer and silver spray paint.

TD_WIP_3_comp.jpg

TD_WIP_2_comp.jpg

For the plating I used chrome color “Bare-Metal® Foil”. See https://www.google.com/search?q=BAR...&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=VR4jV6ScMqzcgAa9h7joDA
This self adhesive metal foil was perfect to achieve the chipped off chrome plating look of the prop.
During the build I noticed another little detail missing, the small “cavity” at the backside of the main switch. No big deal at all this was sanded down pretty fast.
The main switch and the “belt” got a coat of hammer finish paint.

TD_WIP_8.JPG
TD_WIP_9.JPG

To finish it, some weathering with different colors, Tamiya Panel Line Accent Color and Tamiya Smoke Spray.

TD_Fin_4.JPG
TD_Fin_5.JPG
TD_Fin_2.JPG

I hope you like it. Comments welcome.

As I forgot to take pictures of the original detonator I was forced to take screenshots from davidJurassic ’s Youtube video. The credits for those pics are his.
He made a very nice conversion too! Here’s the link to his build. http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=228899&highlight=thermal+detonator

Another great conversion I may recommend is Katscan's. See http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=210737

TD_WIP_1_comp.jpg

TD_WIP_2_comp.jpg

TD_WIP_3_comp.jpg

TD_WIP_5.JPG

TD_WIP_9.JPG

TD_WIP_8.JPG

TD_Fin_2.JPG

TD_Fin_4.JPG

TD_Fin_5.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a softball display case. I think these are pretty common in the US.
And thanks people! Your approval is really appreciated. :thumbsup

This is awesome...I picked up 2 of these a few years back from DisneyWorld, because I was looking for a great TD prop, as well. Wonderful ideas - thanks so much!!!

Thank you! :)
Depending on what you already have at home (like glue, spraypaint, tools etc.) I think it will not be more than $25.

Last edited:
Changing batteries is pretty easy ;)

Thanks Protoss! I totally didn't read that part. I see it now that you mention it! When I saw that you'd filled in the seam for the trap door and its screw, I started imagining you'd figured out some way to simply set it on a charging pad or the like. What you did with the magnets is probably way easier. It's good that you're clever! And it's good that I can realize that I need to get to bed, and that I need to stop skimming threads when I'm falling asleep at the keyboard. ;) Good Night everybody.

Hey Michael...dId I miss the TD last time I visited you or did I simply forget about it :lol

Great conversion my friend, but I expect nothing less from you ;)
Looking forward to the 12th :thumbsup

@ Ridire Firean: You're welcome! And I was thinking about the charging pad too, but my skills with electronics are... limited :$

@ Markus: To be honest - I can't remember either :facepalm :lol
And me too :thumbsup ( wasn't it the 13th? :confused Just kiddin :p )

Would love to find more of these, came across 1 a long time a go on ebay. I need 3-4 more so I can gut them for their electronic contents and add them to my own Thermal detonators.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back