[FIRST PROJECT] Leia's Defender sporting blaster & Han's DL-44

RabidBadgerFran

Mold Max 30Hi,

After attending some prop and cosplay related panels at my local con (ECCC), I decided it is finally time to dive in to the world of prop building. The first thing I did was go to Bill Doran's (one of the great cosplay guests) site punishedprops.com, there he had a video showing how he made his DL-44. When I went to buy it on amazon, I noticed they also had Leia's blaster from the first film so, I picked it up as well. They're both made by a brand called "Rubie's". I'll show you some pictures, then explain what I want to do, my materials list, and post a few questions someone with experience can hopefuly help me out with.

IMG_4801.JPGIMG_4802.JPGIMG_4803.JPGIMG_4804.JPGIMG_4805.JPGIMG_4809.JPGIMG_4810.JPGIMG_4811.JPGIMG_4815.JPG

So, What I want to do is clean these up, make a mold, and cast a few of them so I can try finishing them a few different ways. On the DL-44 I want to use Bondo to fill those screw holes. On the Defender I want to figure out a way to fix this weird texture at the end of the barrel, and of course, both need seam work and sanding (in the video bill uses a sanding sponge, but I definitely want to hear what you would suggest using). Then I'm planning to make a mold using Mold Max 30, cast them in Smooth-Cast 300, and finish them off with a paint job.

Material-wise here's my list so far (if you think you have better alternatives, please let me know!) :

Sanding paper or sponge (I don't know what grit)
Bondo (to fill DL-44 screw holes)
Primer (looking for recommendations)
Mold Max 30
Plastalina clay (to block off silicone)
Mann Release "Ease Release 200"
Smoot-Cast 300
Black Krylon Fusion (matte, satin, or gloss. I'm undecided. Suggestions are welcome)
Silver spray paint (looking for recommendations)
Brown spray paint (for DL-44 grips. I'll likely use Krylon Fusion)
Mustard (see video)
Acrylics (for weathering)
Clear spray paint (to sael the paint job. Looking for recommendations)

Lastly, I have a few questions. Answers are greatly appreciated!

Any tips on pre-mold seam work? On the Defender the seams are off-centered in a few places. Should I sand them flat? Should I try to fix it with Bondo?

In the last photo you can probably see an odd dimple texture on the Defender barrel, which I think was likely a pain issue. Does anyone know the best way to get rid of it? I was thinking sanding, but I'm not sure.

Thanks a TON for taking the time to read this! Any and all help is much
appreciated!

I'll likely post updates, no matter how long it takes.

You'll probably find that the two halves are not lined up perfectly so you might need to do more than just fill the seems. Add more filler to smooth the transition between the two halves.

I then always start with a flat (and round for the curved parts) needle file to flatten most of the filler then sand with 600 grit to finish off.

Always use a sanding 'block' (a small piece of sheet plastic will do) where possible so you don't smooth details such as sharp edges, or sand unevenly.

I use automotive primer and paint for everything but a Krylon primer will do if you're using Krylon paint.

I'll swear by apoxie sculpt too, let it cure overnight. You'll want to liberally apply it, MORE than you need, (it will look weird) but then you can sand and file it to smooth perfection. if you just try to apply tiny bits to the sides of seams, you wont get a flat surface. i learned that the hard way lol

DSCN3811.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back