Kingsguard armor WIP

escher007

Hey Guys, thanks for sharing all your amazing builds! I was inspired to create my own kingsguard armor for my student medieval art show next week. I have learned a lot, and am still figuring things out as I complete it. Thanks to all who have shared picts and art of their armor. I am realizing many mistakes I made as I see how you guys made yours!

Here are some pictures of my armor so far. I will see if I get to adding the designs to the shoulder as I still want to make the armor for the forearm and legs. I’m trying to figure out what to do for the clothes underneath the armor and the cape. I will be making the cape yet, but I doubt I will be having time to make the clothes underneath, but will try and find/buy something that will work. Any suggestions on the clothes or the cape?

2016-04-26 21.17.47.jpg2016-04-25 21.23.51.jpg2016-04-25 19.28.15.jpg2016-04-25 17.59.54.jpg2016-04-03 21.42.56.jpg

Looks like a great piece you have there. The raised detail sections much have taken ages to cut out. Did you attach them before shaping and if so, did you find they got distorted at all while bending the chest?
The colours look great as well. What was your process for the painting?

Unfortunately I'm not sure with the clothes or cape. I think that charity shops are often suggested to try and find things of use. Off the top of my head I'm not sure what would fit well for your needs. Hopefully someone else can provide some more information on this.

Thanks! The scroll work did take time, but it was helpful to have some templates from fuzzydrawings. I did shape the chest before I attached the detail.
For the paint, I started with a black base, and then dry brushed silver then gold over it. I neglected to put the rivets on before I painted, so those I had to put on later. My students all were thinking I was weird to have all these googly eyes on it! I painted them black then touched with gold paint. The scroll work I just brushed on some white acrylic paint.

yeah I have to hit up our local good will shops for something that might work.. Need to pick up some belts for strapping.

Nice work! Are you going to be making any weapons to go with it?

The kingsguard are one of my favourite armours from the programme and, scales aside, it'd be pretty good at actually being armour too!

Thanks Robert! I did make a sword, but nothing super realistic or considered a GoT prop. I had one of my classes make paper mache swords so I'll probably just use my example.

Superb work, Escher! I never would've guessed that this started out as foam. 2 years ago, I made Hiccup's armor from How To Train Your Dragon 2 for my 6 year old son. I used cardboard and attached fake leather. It turned out great but it was a PAIN. Next time, it's gonna be foam all the way!!!

Thanks! I was really surprised how easy it was to work with. Previously all my armor builds had been paper mache which was a LOT of work and mess. Foam is nice and neat and light.

Here's the final. I ran out of time so I wasn't able to get all the detail on the legs and shoulders, but it still turned out ok and the students loved it.
image.jpeg
I did use a helmet and chain mail I received as a gift, so it's not an exact replica of what a kingsguard knight looks like, but it did the job.
image.jpeg

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back