Captain America: Civil War (Post-release)

Just got home from the movie, and I can guarantee that it is by far, the darkest Marvel movie. Not as dark as the DC films, it still had its light moments but it definitely was a darker themed movie than TWS. RDJ's performance stole the show. Tom Holland IS the best portrayal of Spider-Man you'll ever see. He's got that cocky and wisecracking personality that we all know and love. And the action. Oh man, the action scenes. I can definitely say that it's very much worth the money you'll pay and that it's the best Marvel movie so far. Props to the Russo Brothers.

I mostly second Matthew's statement besides the last part, it is one of the better Marvel movies, but in my opinion not THE best. (For me this is still Iron Man followed by GotG).

Spidey was awesome, finally they absolutely matched this high school kid feeling he originally had.

My only issue with the movie - and i am not entirely sure if it is an annoying issue - is that the scope of the original Civil War story isn't really matched. Especially there is the "war" aspect missing, in the comics you had hundreds and thousands of super humans and mutants affected by the super human registration act, in the movie it basically affects the (good) MCU characters that are introduced so far, especially those on the Avengers team. The scope gets even smaller in the second half of the movie were everything circles around Cap, Tony and Bucky. This is not a war, it is a conflict involving only a few guys. I completely understand why Marvel did this, the MCU is far from as compley as the comic (616) universe is and therefore scope had to be adapted. But I wonder if Civil War was the right story to adapt for this story or if there hadn't been a better matching arc. It was also missing the whole part where one side stands completely down (in the comics it was Cap, who was killed afterwards, an event that MIGHT be spoilered by Zemo's final dialogue hinting that his plan isn't over yet). I actually was pretty surprised of the low main character kill rate, I expected Rhodey to die (instead of Goliath in the comics) and Tony or Cap in the end.

Another annoyance is the fight at the end. Both Tony and Cap seemed to be completely out of character fighting in full rage almost till death with each other. This is not how I imagined any of those characters before.

Enough of ranting, apart from this, I really loved the movie! :)

I mostly second Matthew's statement besides the last part, it is one of the better Marvel movies, but in my opinion not THE best. (For me this is still Iron Man followed by GotG).

Spidey was awesome, finally they absolutely matched this high school kid feeling he originally had.

My only issue with the movie - and i am not entirely sure if it is an annoying issue - is that the scope of the original Civil War story isn't really matched. Especially there is the "war" aspect missing, in the comics you had hundreds and thousands of super humans and mutants affected by the super human registration act, in the movie it basically affects the (good) MCU characters that are introduced so far, especially those on the Avengers team. The scope gets even smaller in the second half of the movie were everything circles around Cap, Tony and Bucky. This is not a war, it is a conflict involving only a few guys. I completely understand why Marvel did this, the MCU is far from as compley as the comic (616) universe is and therefore scope had to be adapted. But I wonder if Civil War was the right story to adapt for this story or if there hadn't been a better matching arc. It was also missing the whole part where one side stands completely down (in the comics it was Cap, who was killed afterwards, an event that MIGHT be spoilered by Zemo's final dialogue hinting that his plan isn't over yet). I actually was pretty surprised of the low main character kill rate, I expected Rhodey to die (instead of Goliath in the comics) and Tony or Cap in the end.

Another annoyance is the fight at the end. Both Tony and Cap seemed to be completely out of character fighting in full rage almost till death with each other. This is not how I imagined any of those characters before.

Enough of ranting, apart from this, I really loved the movie! :)

I'm kinda bummed about the "war" thing. It seemed more like a civil "fight" than a war. But I do understand why they did it now. The contracts of the main actors are about to end. And if they were to include hundreds of superhumans into the story, it would seem way overcrammed and there would be no character development. If each superhuman were to get their own solo film before the Civil War, we'd probably get the comic accurate Civil War movie by 2100 :lol But nonetheless, a really really great film by the Russos.

Also, I see why they fought in full rage. Detailed spoilers down below hehehe

Tony was actually going for Bucky, but Cap's trying to stop him. To get to Bucky, Tony has to put Cap down or incapacitate him somehow. Tony did that when he blasted Cap across the room, and as a result, Bucky had to stop Tony before he could do worse. And as a result of this, Tony cuts off Bucky's arm. And as a result of this, Cap just couldn't stand seeing his best friend, the only thing he has left of his past, suffering like that. So he had to put Tony down in some way

I've written 500 hundred words. Would it be preferred that I wait until after the US release just so no-one gets upset. I'm a very negative person and I'd definitely describe what I've written, though not necessarily containing spoilers, would spoil the film.

I've written 500 hundred words. Would it be preferred that I wait until after the US release just so no-one gets upset. I'm a very negative person and I'd definitely describe what I've written, though not necessarily containing spoilers, would spoil the film.

Well as long as you post in this thread only (which is a thread meant to discuss the film with spoilers), or use the spoiler tags, you should be good.

This is what a spoiler tag looks like Screen Shot 2016-04-29 at 12.30.03 PM.png

No Spoilers!!!!

First off:
TWO (mid and end) of credits scenes both serving as set ups to the standalones of the two new introductions into the Marvel universe. Both very satisfying.

The rest of it? Simply stunning........ easily my second favourite of them all and its hovering so close to TWS its almost impossible to decide.

Absolute kudos to the Russo brothers. Their ability to direct these super hero movies with all the storylines, the character evolution and the ever improving fight sequences is truly the best there has ever been and I am amazed as to how great their grasp of each personality and their super power is translated and combined with their combat styles. That sheer inventiveness is just comic book poetry and as always the VFXs supporting it are wonders to behold.That damn airport scene is brilliant on the next level of brilliance, and the new comers absolutely get centre stage in really jaw dropping smack down ways.
This is the most mature treatment of the consequences of super powers on both characters and story I've seen yet and it works tremendously well. The film may lack the consistent adrenaline pace that was "The Winter Soldier" (still has that cracking start though) but then it needs to. This is about the breakup of a family ,the choices and the arguments people have to have to make them alienate themselves from their friends ,so its a bit more wordy and thoughtful than many may expect. And its also very much about how grief bites into the soul of everyone, even our heroes and twists their natures. This is a quite a brutal Marvel film and I gasped at times as to what happened here and the effect it had on many of the cast .
Enough said really. The overall story did not go how I thought the movie would at all (in a great way!!!!!) and I was left more than just slightly surprised once again by the repercussions by the end of it. Those Russo bros can move a story on like nobody else, shuffling the pack in very unexpected ways.

Go, watch, enjoy and be yet again stunned by the sheer brilliance that Marvel has chosen to take their universe forward with another incredible film. This was still the Caps movie but Tony Stank ???? Not in this film he didn't!!!

Oh and yes Spidey is fantastic.

I can totally see why Spidey and Iron Man are going to be together in the Spidey movie. And seeing the new Aunt May made me smile. You need to see the film and remember (if the early anti aging VFXs weren't enough to jog the memory) RDJ and MT together in an older movie. Not the one Spidey mentions though!!!!!

Last edited:
Back from seeing it, it was fantastic, grim without being gloomy, I'll definitely be going to see it again.

I'm sorry we didn't get to see Red Hulk, but I guess that would have unbalanced the film in the way that having the real hulk in or Thor would have.

The Martin Freeman character seemed a bit pointless, but maybe we will see more of him in future films?

Gotta add to here. What a fantastic film, definitely Marvel's darkest yet, and for me, my favourite Marvel film ever. I can't believe how they were able to balance so many characters and give each of them some great moments to shine.

That 17 minute long airport scene is for me the best superhero fight scene in history. They ****ing nailed both Peter Parker and Spider-Man. He reminded me so much of The Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon, it was uncanny.

There is a real depth here to the conflict between these characters, it was a very emotional character driven story. I can't wait to see what the Russo's have in store for Infinity War now, ******* this was a near excellent movie!

What a movie! The Russos have definitely outdone TWS with this second outing. I'm pretty confident Infinity War is in good hands, unless they suffer gender crises like those other "brothers" between now and then. :p

I loved it........left me wanting to see more of Spidey........so remember to wait to see both after film clips

Amazing film

J

He has only been spiderman for six months, that explains why we never saw him helping out before.

I was kinda hoping that he was Spider-Man for at least a year, like what Kevin Feige has been telling us. Also, I wanna see more Spidey vigilante action!!

Remember this back in 2014,....about "The Amazing Spider-Man 2":

I said:

Just saw the movie and didn't enjoy it at all

Cringe-fest

The 'funny' moments were not funny, the Spidey in slow-mo was over done, some of the CG looked a bit like a video game, the romance sequences were uncomfortable.

After seeing The Winter Soldier a few weeks ago, this movie just felt too forced, whereas TWS flowed more naturally and you felt more tension in the action sequences

When I was a kid my main collection of comics were Spiderman, now he's probably the one I prefer least,.......If he were to be included in with the Marvel Studio's Avengers group, I would say he could thrive there

J

.....the other day I saw the Blu-Ray of the film for £2.....new in a music store in Belfast

J

There were a lot of great references and Easter eggs in it. My favourite was Hawkeyes " Here he is, the Futurist" with Tony, I laughed but nobody else did. Basically they were taking the mickey out of RDJs failed music album from way back in 2004.

Captain America Civil War (Or Falling Large Distances and Surviving, the movie)
I don’t care for the comic series because it honestly didn’t sound that great but the film adaptation on the other hand…
I get hyped over a lot of things but that was just biding the time to cool down my hype for this and by no means am I disappointed.
It is certainly a flawed film. Its desire to connect everything together almost makes it a serious satire of Marvel. It is not overly long and does not suffer from Spider-Man 3’s problems but one or two plots/subplots could have easily been cut to leave a much cleaner and concise picture.
Rather than forming a well rounded statement on whatever political message marvel intended, one side seems objectively right and certain characters’ actions seem depressing rather than fun.
Its dependence on flashbacks and setting changes may be appealing to some but convolute in a way that just eliminates simplicity and pads the runtime.
Action pieces are there almost as if the characters said “If our life was a film what would be the coolest setting for an audience to see blown up by Super-Heroes”. Some reason an airport was chosen.
Spider-Man has one really cringey line that made me cry Tobey and I don’t believe he is the extreme improvement everyone seems to think he is but I’d be incredibly happy to see Tom Holland continue. He nails elements of the character in ways I do not recall from past renditions.
It was so safe to make money the Russo folk could have done anything so their decisions are not restricted or bad but aren’t the decisions I would have made.
It really did not need a villain or three plots because even if they are all connected, not only does it make things seem less plausible but it would have been incredibly unique and more memorable if the dynamic of different fighting and interaction styles had been isolated.
It is actually my least favorite of the good Marvel films but ******* is it a spectacle to behold. It’s really well done. The writing, dialogue, acting, action, effects are all superb with few exceptions. Any criticisms I have made don’t matter because Marvel movies are designed to be marveled over to the point where it doesn’t matter how good they are. Characters have grown in ways I would not have suspected and I now believe I am ready to give up Captain America. I mean that in a good way. Iron Man 3 is an excellent flick and it made me satisfied with Tony Stark and happy never to see Robert Downey Jr in a marvel property again, even if he is so likeable. I thought Captain America had a good run left after the Winter Soldier (a better movie than this) but I’m really happy with his arc and I don’t ever need to see another film with the primary title as “Captain America”. It is worse than some other Marvel adaptions but that doesn’t necessarily mean I don’t prefer it.

There were a lot of great references and Easter eggs in it. My favourite was Hawkeyes " Here he is, the Futurist" with Tony, I laughed but nobody else did. Basically they were taking the mickey out of RDJs failed music album from way back in 2004.

Same! I thought nobody would notice that at all. But I didn't laugh at it though, it was a real serious moment for Clint as he's kept away from his family

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back