Captain America: Civil War (Post-release)

Just came back from a second viewing, and it was even better than the first, definitely benefits from a second viewing :thumbsup

I mostly second Matthew's statement besides the last part, it is one of the better Marvel movies, but in my opinion not THE best. (For me this is still Iron Man followed by GotG).

Spidey was awesome, finally they absolutely matched this high school kid feeling he originally had.

My only issue with the movie - and i am not entirely sure if it is an annoying issue - is that the scope of the original Civil War story isn't really matched. Especially there is the "war" aspect missing, in the comics you had hundreds and thousands of super humans and mutants affected by the super human registration act, in the movie it basically affects the (good) MCU characters that are introduced so far, especially those on the Avengers team. The scope gets even smaller in the second half of the movie were everything circles around Cap, Tony and Bucky. This is not a war, it is a conflict involving only a few guys. I completely understand why Marvel did this, the MCU is far from as compley as the comic (616) universe is and therefore scope had to be adapted. But I wonder if Civil War was the right story to adapt for this story or if there hadn't been a better matching arc. It was also missing the whole part where one side stands completely down (in the comics it was Cap, who was killed afterwards, an event that MIGHT be spoilered by Zemo's final dialogue hinting that his plan isn't over yet). I actually was pretty surprised of the low main character kill rate, I expected Rhodey to die (instead of Goliath in the comics) and Tony or Cap in the end.

Another annoyance is the fight at the end. Both Tony and Cap seemed to be completely out of character fighting in full rage almost till death with each other. This is not how I imagined any of those characters before.

Enough of ranting, apart from this, I really loved the movie! :)

Pretty much this - thoroughly enjoyable. The comedy timing was excellent. Some of the action was perfect, brutal but not too over the top.

I echo the statements about Tony and Cap at the end - there wasn't quite enough driving force there to sell that I think.

I enjoyed Blank Panther, but thought he was a little one dimensional in some respects - he has a nice little arc but I wasn't feeling it as much. Cannot wait to get stuck into Wakanda though in the solo film. It served as an introduction.

Spiderman - I had my doubts about the youth of the character. They nailed it. Utterly nailed it character wise. I don't however quite understand Tony in this regards. He brings him in - he knows he is fresh and young. He lets him fight in a very dangerous situation. And then once he is finally given a big enough hit, then Tony tells him to stay out of it? Nah. Tony knows that this kid has abilities, but pretty reckless to pull him in I thought - and it was even slightly uncomfortable watching Captain take Spidey to task, even though the words arent malicious, the actions are brutal.

Loved how they did the Warmachine stuff. He definitely should have died though - I thought that was a cop out. And at the end, I dont see any far reaching consequences - they were avenging "without sanction" and now they will be avenging...without sanction. Further Zemo stuff may pop up of course, but I expect the next film to be just as light hearted etc.

Don't get me wrong though, great film. Solid 8.5/10 for me.

Back from the theatre myself, I enjoyed it very much. But I thought it was one step under Winter Soldier, that was, in my opinion, a tighter and a bit more thrilling film. Perhaps because they had less characters to juggle with. That include the action scenes too, both the intro ship assault and the one on one Bucky vs Cap was a slight step above, but Civil gave them both a run for its money. And not necessarily with the airport scene, which I thought was great and Avengers worthy, but not mind blowing.
Story was great otherwise, a few nitpicks here and there, but I'll definitely go see it again.
Infinity Wars is in good hands for sure.

Edit : what's up with Pepper though ? That kinda came out of nowhere ! Did they loose their contract with Paltrow ? I hope not !

Last edited:
Back from the theatre myself, I enjoyed it very much. But I thought it was one step under Winter Soldier, that was, in my opinion, a tighter and a bit more thrilling film. Perhaps because they had less characters to juggle with. That include the action scenes too, both the intro ship assault and the one on one Bucky vs Cap was a slight step above, but Civil gave them both a run for its money. And not necessarily with the airport scene, which I thought was great and Avengers worthy, but not mind blowing.
Story was great otherwise, a few nitpicks here and there, but I'll definitely go see it again.
Infinity Wars is in good hands for sure.

Edit : what's up with Pepper though ? That kinda came out of nowhere ! Did they loose their contract with Paltrow ? I hope not !

Yeah, that was out of the blue wasn't it. I accept that they can have things happen offscreen definitely, but Pepper and Peggy? Tut tut.

I definitely think the Russo's can handle Infinity War, agreed - even though I have a few complaints about Civil War (a few more now Ive had time to let it sink in a bit) balancing that many characters wasn't one of them. I dont feel any character was under sold on a good outing - they each had their moments.

I think Peppers "disappearance" may be for a couple of reasons. Given that Tony is to appear in the new Spidey movie ,having a new "Hot" Aunt May may add a lot of possibilities for humour in it ( and it doesn't hurt that RDJ and MT were once an item and already had great film chemistry in "Only You" ). Rather than go for another "serious" spidey I would hope with this one, and particularly with the fact Tony really doesn't have a son and heir, they could keep it very light and funny, like a cleaner "Deadpool" ,with Tony as mentor to Peter. I felt that was why he stepped in when Peter got too much of a beating at the airport. Peppers breakup ,on top of Tony s AOU mistake also made Tony more vulnerable and uncertain, which why I thought the downbeat and quieter Tony was absolutely right for CACW. And Peggy ,who was really the Caps last tie to his past ,had to go so he could move on. Certainly the "Sharon" moment made me smile.

With a 90 years old bed-ridden Peggy ? Yeah that would have been more than odd...
One thing that did bother me slightly though is Rhodey suffering from extensive injuries from his fall, while Tony crashed in a much less advanced suit, already half broken appart mid-flight, and barely had anything in IM 1... It's a lot more logic what happened to Rhodey of course, but still ! I'm glad they kept him alive though, I like his character.

A bed-ridden Peggy who still wanted to dance in some way or is struggling to get up but was still pushing herself to dance with Steve, or maybe at least tell Steve that she still wanted that dance but can't do it

A bed-ridden Peggy who still wanted to dance in some way or is struggling to get up but was still pushing herself to dance with Steve, or maybe at least tell Steve that she still wanted that dance but can't do it

I think that would have been nice - the scene in Winter Soldier was meant to convey that she had effectively gone though. He still visits, but she forgets him every minute or two. Doing the dance scene wouldn't fit in quite nicely..

They could have flashbacked to when he first returned though, and in that same hospital room could have had him holding her for a short dance, just a hug really. That would have been a nice short memory during the funeral.

But it also would have made it weird(er) when he kisses her niece.

Edit: Also...Giant Man. Buzzed my balls off when I realised what he was about to do when he said "hope it doesn't rip me in half". And his laugh of mania when he realises it worked. Brilliantly cheesy.

Last edited:
With a 90 years old bed-ridden Peggy ? Yeah that would have been more than odd...
One thing that did bother me slightly though is Rhodey suffering from extensive injuries from his fall, while Tony crashed in a much less advanced suit, already half broken appart mid-flight, and barely had anything in IM 1... It's a lot more logic what happened to Rhodey of course, but still ! I'm glad they kept him alive though, I like his character.

But it was on sand, so it's alllll okay. haha.

Now that I've had some time to mull it over - not too keen on Tony blackmailing Spidey into joining the fight.

Why is he doing this again? What's the reason for him bringing SM into the fight? The Vision, Warmachine, Iron Man, Black Widow, Black Panther (though not sure if he knew he'd be on side at this point) isn't enough? It doesn't actually make a lot of sense.

(I'm glad he did, because SM was awesome. Story wise feels v weak though)

But it was on sand, so it's alllll okay. haha.

Now that I've had some time to mull it over - not too keen on Tony blackmailing Spidey into joining the fight.

Why is he doing this again? What's the reason for him bringing SM into the fight?

Honestly it seems to me like Tony sees Peter as a "Steve". He was a little nobody before something remarkable changed his life, and instead of being some showboater blowhard he's "looking out for the little guy". It could be a conscious effort on Tony's part to give Cap a little glimpse back onto his own life. Just another scrawny kid looking to do what's right with the tools he's been given.

I liked the moment where stark recognized that spider doesn't share the same ideology as him, but used him anyway. That's gonna come back.

The only fiddly bit of contrivance for me was the video tape from 1991. They could have figured that out a bit better.

And the one thing I loved was the fact that is narrowed in focus for the climax. There was no hyperbole bomb .

Anyway, I loved it.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Captain America: Civil War still felt like a Cap movie and not Avengers 2.5 despite the number of characters involved. Loved it.

The conflict and escalation throughout the movie felt quite organic, which is one among the many remarkable aspects of the movie.

The movie obviously doesn't have the scope of the comic storyline and I wasn't expecting that, but somehow it didn't give me the emotional nudge like some of the other MCU films. I think it will get better on a second viewing and I will be watching it again next week.

Russo Brothers' direction for grounded action is a visual treat. Black Panther was great and I am looking forward to his solo film.

Ant-Man and Spider-Man steal the show. Tom Holland is indeed the best Peter Parker and Spidey.

But one of my favourite scenes is where we get to see Steve Rogers display his raw physical strength. Goosebumps. And I need to listen to the score cue by Henry Jackman for that short scene again.

while this is a post-release thread there's bound to be some numpty who complains because they read something in a thread with potential spoilers. so with that being said: epic spoiler alert.

kinda bummed that crossbones dies straight away.

I saw it last night and thought it was pretty good. I wouldn't say its Marvel's best piece though. I really want to see more of Spidey and Black Panther

It really was a hell of a movie. By spending the time to let us get to know and care about Tony and Steve prior to this they earn a much more effective emotional payoff with this movie than the other guys did with BvS.
Black Panther was a total badass, Spider-Man was pitch perfect, and Ant-Man has the best maniacal laugh in the history of cinema.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back