STUDIO SCALE X WING MODEL IDENTIFICATION.. can you help

I commented on the picture when I was told about it,nothing more. Stop with the cheap detective stuff it's stupid. I don't know too much about x wings or ys but I do know that he never had a Cap'n Cardboard model. I've been to his home and seen him working on this stuff. Maybe sometimes from pictures. I don't know where the reference came from but I know he made his own stuff.

Am I an expert?
No
Can I say 100% that this is a recast?
No
But pulling the eBay listing so soon after being called out on this forum, sure implies guilt.
It's like running from the cops then protesting your innocence.
If you've nothing to hide, why run?

Well that turned out to be a little more interesting than I first thought. Epic read guys. Not pointing any fingers, I have always known there are re-casters out there, which is a shame. The toil and hard graft which goes with producing such lovely things should never be undermined. I have an awesome respect for the dedication and time anyone puts into making a kit from scratch, especially to this high level of accuracy.
Slazo and all the others on this forum who create such works of art should be applauded and they should receive due recognition.
I have been a designer in the corporate world for many years, working through china without IP protection or any other protection for that matter. I have seen many copies of my work in the public arena and there's nothing anyone can do about it. I feel it is a shame that this false "quick Buck" mentality has transferred into the western world.
I wish every artist the best of luck with all they create. And if anyone out there is thinking of copying someone's hard work, please remember there's more kudos and much respect to be gained in making your own master pattern, if you have the time and the skill !!!

Am I an expert?
No
Can I say 100% that this is a recast?
No
But pulling the eBay listing so soon after being called out on this forum, sure implies guilt.
It's like running from the cops then protesting your innocence.
If you've nothing to hide, why run?

The listing is still on eBay. Is it remotely possible the auction just timed out and he relisted it?

Like I initially stated,I'm by no means an expert on the different x wing models that are available out there. I wouldn't know a Salzo v2 from a hole in the wall.
I was actually referring to his y wing which altho not accurate is a very nice kit. I've seen him working on it up close and personal. I do know a lot of the kits used on the x wing because many are the same used on the Falcon. I'm not an expert on recasting. Heck,I don't even like casting my own work. For the Falcon I had to cast some parts and sections more than 20 times! All I know is that whenever I've dealt with Ray he's been a stand up and honorable guy. I just don't believe him to be unscrupulous or shady. I think I would have seen that side of him by now. What ever is going on I hope it can be solved and put to bed soon.

So i was just made aware of this thread, sorry i am just getting off a 3 week remodel job on the house.

So I would need some better pics of the GR kit to be sure. The fuselage is definitely not mine, initial impression from that rather low res pic is that some stuff may have been "re purposed" from the V1/V2/Captain Cardboard kit. There are a few unique tells that i would be able to confirm with better pics. Those phantom engines and cans stick out to me even from the pics as being unique to the V1/V2 kit as the engine cans were slightly thickened on those by Scott for ease of casting. Also the peg on the phantom engine is something that sticks out to me. I am not throwing any accusations around but those are the parts i would like to see more and clearer pics of. I would also like to see pics of the wings

I have no arrangement with the producer of this kit, and yes I still own all the patterns V1-4.

I don't think I would care much, it would have been nice to be asked first and if it's just parts I would have given my blessing.

I am used to being recast at this point, my big 1/24 AT AT has recently been recast, now that one i am super pissed about.

Thanks for the info Mike, its great to have your comments on here. I have seen the listings occasionally for the AT-AT you have made, that really sucks.
You did a beautiful job on that one as always.
I will be starting a thread in about 4 weeks on a build of one of the GR kits which someone has asked me to do. I should be able to supply some more detailed images of that when I get going on it.
I also have a question about your versions. I have one of your X-Wings here for a later build, I has the canopy attached to the top half of the fuselage, I believe it is a hero version but I would like to know which model it is. I believe it is a V4 but I could be wrong. You sent it to the uk a few weeks ago . I will post an image of it when I return home.
Thanks everyone for being so forthcoming with information on this thread.

Hey guys, I didn't manage to get any images of the build on here as it happened, but its finished now and thought you may like to see it.
The next one I make will be a salzo v4, I will definitely post images of that one for all to see.
Take care all.
Andy Preston Studio scale X wing finished pic 1.jpgAndy Preston studio scale X wing finished pic 2.jpgAndy Preston studio scale X wing finished pic 3.jpg
ignore the stand, its just for the painting. Heres a video of the final Red 5 version.
Thanks all

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers KoKKari. It went together nice. Bit different as it has no wing mechanism, but other than that I thought it was pretty good. I spent a fair bit of time to get the paint right, as you did on yours. Imagine if we all got together in one place and shot a video of the biggest Studio scale x wing fleet ever,, awesome !!

Really nice work Andy, I like the magnet adaptations on the wings, that's a great idea. Your weathering detail, like most of your builds, is quite exceptional.

Thanks Cut Thumb. The magnet were the only way to go on this model and they worked out really well. I added a plasticard frame around the magnet areas which locates the wings inline and has a dramatic effect on the solidity of the connection. I would advise anyone to do this, as the wings will no doubt droop over time, this means they can be popped off and straightened as needed in the future. Im thinking of doing this connection to the wing armature on my salzo when I get to it.

Thanks Cut Thumb. The magnet were the only way to go on this model and they worked out really well. I added a plasticard frame around the magnet areas which locates the wings inline and has a dramatic effect on the solidity of the connection. I would advise anyone to do this, as the wings will no doubt droop over time, this means they can be popped off and straightened as needed in the future. Im thinking of doing this connection to the wing armature on my salzo when I get to it.

Definitely. My first Salzo suffered this slightly on the top wings, unfortunately because heat from a radiator over a very cold winter a couple of years back warped it. Fortunately I didn't glue mine on either but used copper piping to connect them so taking them off and restraightening them was straight forward, although rewiring was not, which is why I won't be lighting mine any more. Moved all my models and SW stuff to a converted room now that is fairly stable temperature wise.
Waiting to see what variations of painting schemes are used in "Rogue One" before I decide to do my V4.

Yeah, I'm in the same head space for a rogue one colour scheme. I'm thinking the lovely black and grey version, looks like chevrons from the trailers and reference I have so far.
I'm also trying to do a corresponding scale U wing which I have worked on a little in cad, but I need to do more now I have a little time. Need a scale reference in comparison to the studio x wing for the final sizing. Just a little more info to go until I can do more.

Amazing build and paint job.

I have a CC x-wing waiting in the wings to build. I had originally thought Red 6, but am now waiting to see what Rogue One colors look like before I proceed.

Some of these threads make me laugh. Some people talk about right and wrong but how many kit producers here actually get the legal licence to produce the kit in the first place.
I mean cmon guys I am not saying who's right and wrong but there is black and white and most of these kits are in the grey area as they don't have a real licence to produce them.
I buy Mike's kits they are great
I also have the CC and v3 and v4

Just enjoy modelling ��

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back