WIP - Judge Dredd 2012 Helmet

hydromatic93

Recently I've gotten the chance to watch Dredd (2012) and loved his costume, specifically his helmet. I'll be sculpting with Monster Clay and medium NSP clays, I'd like to get as screen accurate as possible so advice and critiques are encouraged. Never sculpted a full helmet before, everything has been half masks/display pieces (Revan, Nihilus, Majora), so this will be a lengthy WIP:

So far:
3FZ305P.jpg keiXUxd.jpg T2qjcmu.jpg mQE3wyH.jpg

Just started, long way to go.

Good start... The first thing - is the Manequinn head the right size? Have you checked it against your own head. Very often these heads are to small. next thing would be to create templates of one side so you can match the opposite side up perfectly - symetery is important with these kind of projects ;)

Update:
kn9GGze.jpg V3G2fQG.jpg iHu6G6l.jpg YduBRKD.jpg

Been working on this slowly, this website called Studio Creations has a bunch of measurements from the screen cast helmets, which I used to fix up the face opening and forehead badge (cut out of some scrap craft balsa, cast in resin and sanded/carved down). I have to build up the curve of the forehead a bit (that slope seems a bit too high). Long way to go.

Also the mannequin should be the size of my head (or slightly smaller) Cyberman, I'll be bulking everything out to account for it.

Another day, another update:

mvEhbws.jpg k6tu2E0.jpg ut40q3O.jpg kScMhrb.jpg

In the photos the forehead badge looks huge, might need to bulk the top up a little more. The 2nd image is what I've been doing first, it seems pretty close to the screen size (I'll be mirroring it on the other side later). Be starting the middle strip soon and smoothing it out. Also my initial batch of Monster clay was bad (had little rocks/hard beads all through it) so it is a bitch to smooth out/detail properly, so that's fun...

Critiques are very welcome

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back