Custom Dredd Armour - Pic heavy - Aus

madrick

Hey everyone!
So I just finished my Dredd helmet, which can be found in this thread http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=255611 , and thought "The helmet looks half decent, maybe I should try and make the body armour?" Now this is where I got stuck. I am a child of the Stallone Dredd, many call it corny etc but when I was a child watching it, it was awesome and now, having seen the great new Dredd 3D, I didn't know which armour to make.... so I decided to combine them together! I mean come on, those shoulders from the Stallone movie and comic books cannot be passed up.

So I set to doing some homework, I wanted it to be a hybrid between the two but also something that just MIGHT be credible in the real world. I decided to go with the general idea of the body armour of the Dredd 3D but to also add the classic-ness of the shoulders.

I got the general shapes of everything from golem95 at http://www.4shared.com/folder/UNoX32FG/templates.html
I used the template for the vest and the templates for the back plates. From there, I free handed the rest.

The idea.

Pec armour designed and measured.

Cutting and measuring it all out, trying to see how I can make it all fit.

Vest cut out and traced with all the armour plates, I was stuck between 2 pec armour designs. The reason I had two, it had to be practical in design that I could raise my arms in front of me without hitting the vest armour but also look cool.

Let the foam tracing and cutting out begin!

One thing I was curious to try out, was outlining all the armour plates with crevices. I thought it might add a little depth to the armour. To achieve this, I simply lightly cut over the traced lines and used a heat gun to open them up.

Vest was treated with the heat gun to create the appropriate curves.

Placed all the cut out foam pieces in their positions to see how it looks.

Traced the back armour.

Heat treatment.

Glue it all together.

If you stick the hot end of the glue gun into your skin, it hurts but if you stick it into the foam, you can get some sweet effects.

A quick look at it all.

NEXT UP: SHOULDERS AND CUSTOM BADGE!

Battle damage
I've never done battle damage before but knew the look I wanted.

Used a drill bit to make the hole for bullet damage.

Created scratches using a small file.

Also used a blade to create some more scratches.

How it looks

Armour, now with battle damage.

Mate of mine at work was kind enough to use his 3D printer to make me a custom badge!

More to come :D

Hey madrick, fellow Aussie here just wondering where you got your foam from! Cheers :)

Hey! The foam I used for the vest is 12mm floor foam from Bunnings (http://www.bunnings.com.au/polytuf-50-x-50cm-solid-black-foam-mats-4-pack_p4490382)
For the 'ab' pieces, it's foam flooring, a large sheet of it, meant for workshops, that I found at the reject shop. Costs $25 for about 2mx3m. Great density, about 9mm thick, I like it a lot. The orange foam is 1mm thick and bought from a crafts store.

Hope this helps :)

Painted the badge and added the strapping to the sides of the vest. It's not glued into position but I will be attaching a zipper, down the middle, to make the armour more like a vest from 'Dredd 3D'.

I'm very sorry to have done this but I didn't take progress photos of me making the shoulders :( Please forgive me. Here are two photos I did manage to take. It's all freehand. The shoulders are attached with buckles, one in the front and one in the back.

Foam sealed with 6 coats of PVA glue and the base coat of black paint sprayed on. Here's a test fit!

Wow, great work! I have no experience AT ALL in creating any props in any shape or forum! I came here from Tested as I really enjoy replica props, props and the like! :D Your awesome project makes me want to start delving into this awesome world of prop making! :)

Another fellow Aussie Dredd builder! Looks great, I am in the middle of building the bits and pieces for my belt at the moment. I just printed off the Gas Grenade and Breach Mine, both came out really good. I have the Studio Creations armour pieces and I will start printing off my helmet shortly I hope.

Great work on the shoulders, I like the sculpt.

Wow, great work! I have no experience AT ALL in creating any props in any shape or forum! I came here from Tested as I really enjoy replica props, props and the like! :D Your awesome project makes me want to start delving into this awesome world of prop making! :)

That means a lot, thanks and YES, you should definitely jump into it, ANYTHING is possible. Just give it time, muck around, have fun and build your dreams :)

- - - Updated - - -

very nice, excellent foam work ;)

thanks yaris!

- - - Updated - - -

Another fellow Aussie Dredd builder! Looks great, I am in the middle of building the bits and pieces for my belt at the moment. I just printed off the Gas Grenade and Breach Mine, both came out really good. I have the Studio Creations armour pieces and I will start printing off my helmet shortly I hope.

Great work on the shoulders, I like the sculpt.

thanks for the kind words Maxim. You in Victoria? I have to get myself one of those 3d printers, it's incredible what they can do! I'm slowly putting pieces onto the belt, i'm thinking I might make a baton... might be pretty cool

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back