The Magnificent Seven (Post-release)

Re: The Magnificent Seven

"Cautiously optimistic" is the preferred phrase these days when it comes to "remakes". The cinematic quality of Seven Samurai and then The Magnificient Seven cannot be topped, as can the emotional depth in those two movies.

I can understand that the times have come for an ever greater wave of remakes and reboots, and I can see that not all of them will be respectful of the source material. I am really curious if they kept the IMO uplifting spirit that the original. But those were different days, with fanfares and orchestration as the main theme and not dark booms and ooomphs and blaring sound carpets flowing over the audience and without utilizing already emotionally charged songs from decades ago, going against genre conventions and probably trying to create new ones.

I am cautiously optimistic.

Ehhh, definitely seems a bit bland without Elmer Bernstein's original theme but the cast seems solid enough...

$5 says if this makes money we'll get 'The Magnificent Eight' 2-3 years later.

Followed the next summer by the addition of a precocious child to the cast for comedy relief, making it "The Magnificent 8.5."

I don't really care if it's a faithful remake of a remake, but if it's at least a decent Western, I'll give it a shot.

Ehhh, definitely seems a bit bland without Elmer Bernstein's original theme but the cast seems solid enough...

Agreed , that theme is the best.(It was probably left out due to the PC police , it has an association with Marlbro cigarettes )

Really enjoyed another version of House of the Rising Sun. Bit more rocky, but still effective - hooked me in further. Chris Pratt (who I love) looks a little bit too clean in this role...Denzel fits it perfectly. Cannot wait to see if Vincent D'onofrio is given some good memorable lines - as the Kingpin he is genuinely brilliant as an actor. I enjoy Ethan Hawke too but usually as support so this works.

Even though it hits almost every note of a western (and yes, in a relatively cliche way) it seems to do so knowingly? I thought anyway. Which brought a bit of charm to it. Overall, a solid western with enjoyable characters and a straight forward plot. Pretty good action sequences. A tiny bit by the numbers, but I didn't expect it to be anything else, and it delivered a few laughs and was entertaining. Definitely left the cinema wanting desperately to own a gun belt.

Disappointing - Hollywood has to throw out the original bad guys & replace them with their go to "Captain Planet" stand-by ---- The Evil Industrialist

Considering hollywood is fully of treehuggers and the like it's not surprising. Industrialists are evil to them, even though that's who built hollywood.

While I agree that the whole evil industrialist is sort of overplayed it does fit in terms of this movie, it's a common theme for westerns, the evil land/robber baron and they're something that's mentioned in the history books too. Truthfully, the villain really was more of a robber baron than an industrialist since he wanted to buy out the town for its land and the nearby mine and if they weren't willing to sell he'd take it by force.

I finally saw the movie last night and thought it was pretty good, not great but still good. I enjoyed Chris Pratt, not too Star Lord like which is what I was afraid of based on the trailers, so I was glad that we didn't get Star Lord in a duster and Stetson. Denzel was pretty solid, although I would have liked a little more background on his character, esp. given that he's a black man roaming the West not too long after the Civil War. I did find it interesting that he kept his gun holstered cavalry style with the butt forward on his strong side, not something you see that often in Westerns.

Anybody know who the actress is that recruited Denzel & co is? She seriously reminds me of a red headed Jennifer Lawrence and if it weren't for the fact that her name wasn't in the credits I would've sworn that it was her with red hair.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back