Doctor Strange costume (Benedict Cumberbatch version) question

I was so happy to see you there! For me, the giveaway was the cape lining XD it was too perfect to have not been the product of someone who hadn't seen the thread :p

You seemed breathlessly excited! I was SOOO happy for you!

Haha, thanks! Among other things, I had been sewing through the night so I was running on fumes and was worried I'd sound completely zombie-like on camera. So it was definitely a lot of excitement mixed in with the lack of sleep and trying to compensate for it.

My cosplay is mostly based on pics I took at the Disney exhibit of the costume, where I was able to spot what are the actual materials and techniques used in it (the paparazzi pics from the set were also very helpful to reverse engineer how to weave the belts etc.), but the thread has also definitely greatly helped in making some of the details, especially the posts by The Prop Lord.

Btw, if anyone wants any pics of specific parts of the costume, just let me know and I'll post it!
Here's a gallery of some of the pics I took: http://imgur.com/a/CAMhq

I'm not done making all of the belts etc., so if anyone wants me to I could also post my process for them as I go along, since I've noticed no one has posted the exact ones yet. I do leathercraft and am making it all by hand (with the same techniques as the on-screen ones use, at least for the leather weaved belts. I'm still doing some R&D for the wider brown one).

I knew she was talking about you, who else could it be...you posted it on twitter :lol ... the costume I mean.
(I recognise your drawings instantly, you khan't hide from me!)

My completed costume! Well, semi completed. I'd still like to get accurate belts, and after wearing it out, I think a harness is necessary to hold the cape in position. Anyone planning on doing that?
I'll also probably redo the tunic and tabard in denim at some point.
OH! And I won first place in craftsmanship!
b5327d7edb476b8de2cfb77bc2ccb234.jpg
5477d78fd39a738d1c95edd4462ccf45.jpg

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Well, I'm not going to spoil anything but m'darling surprised me with tickets to the premiere in 3D Vmax and IT. WAS. AMAZING!

Not to fanboy or anything, but we had an absolute blast and they really, truly pulled it off. GO SEE THIS ASAP!

We're going to watch it in 2d in the Gold Lounge on Friday to see how much difference there is between some of the scenes, in particular the Kirby-esque worlds ... and because it's a great, fun film!

:D

And now to work out the details we're going to add to my costume now that we've seen the film. :)

Oh, and SupersonicGabi, in regards to the cape we found that a set of magnets behind the broaches with their companion magnets sewn into the shirt holds very well. We used magnets with 11kg pull, they were only 2.5cm square, thin and just over $5 each! We put in a hidden elastic strap that goes around my shoulders but to be honest we really don't need it and I rarely connect it.

TLDR: They did not f-up this movie! :)

Two days ago I won two tickets to see the premiere of the movie. My daughter and I went last night after work. It was so good. When I returned home, late last night, by the Flames of the Faltine, there was the Eye of Agamotto, sitting on my front door step. It was a bit a a magical day. Thanks Prop Lord. The Eye looks great.

How are people doing their Spell Discs, especially the ones that appear to glow? And how do they seem to stick to the finger tips?

It looks like . . . magic!

Thought I would just post some pics of the Dr. Strange I just built for a client. This costume is a basic design, but be warned...the detail is insane. Since I've already made it, if anyone has any questions, just let me know. It always helps to talk to someone who's already made all the mistakes...LOL. Thanks!
Slide1.JPGSlide2.JPGSlide3.JPGSlide4.JPG

How are people doing their Spell Discs, especially the ones that appear to glow? And how do they seem to stick to the finger tips?

It looks like . . . magic!

Mine is a circle of acrylic I had etched with a laser. I hooked up LEDs around the edge for the glow

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I think a harness is necessary to hold the cape in position. Anyone planning on doing that?
I'll also probably redo the tunic and tabard in denim at some point.

I am planning on making a harness. Should be quite easy. My concern with attaching the magnets to the tabard is that it will ten to pull it up. If you attach magnets to a harness underneath the shirt and tabard you will be able to slide the fabric of those items independent of the magnets.

Regarding the choice of denim as a material for the tabard, I know that it has been written in an article that the tabard is made of denim, but I think that is just the writer making that assumption based on the indigo-like appearance of the fabric. Denim has a definite weave which I have found no evidence for in any of the pictures I have seen. I am sticking with the linen on the top and bottom with cotton home spun on the three in between layers.

So I just ordered my acrylic for a spell disc. I don't have access to a laser cutter, so I'll have to be free-handing it with a Dremel engraving bit

I can't, for the life of me, find any patterns. Can anyone point me to any clean images?

Google has not been my friend when searching for Doctor Strange Spell pattern, or DS Spell Disc Pattern.

I've been soooo busy making costumes for clients that I'm just now starting to make my Doctor Strange suit for the premier in the USA, on Nov. 4th.

Did we ever find out how the back of the tunic was built? I haven't seen a picture of it.

Quite frankly, I'm confused on how this part is made because I don't see a seam that connects the front and back pieces. Whereas I DO see a seam on the shoulder. But it isn't touching the folded over part. I could just cheat and bunch it up then sew it down. But it doesn't look like that's what they did.

hmm.jpg

Last edited:

I did see a few of those pop up, but to my eyes, the red one in the stand that was posted earlier in the thread, looked like it had the Seal of Vishanti in the center. That why I thought there could have been some official source that I just couldn't find.

Thanks for the suggestion, though. I may just mod one of those. Just check on me in a few days... Make sure I haven't bound my soul to a suit of armor.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back