"Killing" in films...(Spoilers for DCEU,MCU,Other Films)

Re: Superman's character and morals.

I find that in MoS, at least, Superman seems much more conflicted about his role. Does he want it? What will it mean for him if he reveals himself to the world? He helps out here and there a little bit, but then goes back to being conflicted. Compare that to, for example, Steve Rogers in The First Avenger. Even before he becomes Cap, he is absolutely committed to fighting the good fight. He's incredibly earnest, enlists in the army in spite of being in terrible physical condition, volunteers for what is likely a suicidal experiment, and then hurls himself into combat, against the wishes of his superiors. In every appearance since, you've never once doubted what drives him as a character, because he's never really doubted that himself. Civil War may change some of that, but that will likely work because his character is already established. We'll be playing off of our understanding of who he is, not creating it as we go.

No arguing on the Cap characterization - sums it up perfectly. But what I will ask is what is there to be conflicted about for Captain in those films? He doesn't have to fear his own abilities, he doesn't have to fear that the world will reject him (even when the military rejects him, he is literally adored by audience as he helps people buy bonds), he doesn't have to worry about what the world will do when it finds out at large that he exists, that he literally isn't from this planet. There is no job role that advertises "Superhero" in the description. In the world we are presented with, what we are shown is a person who is inherently good, has the powers of a god, and isn't sure what his position in the world can be (if he ever would have a position. He cannot expect that humanity would accept who he is at any point?)

That, to me, is a key difference in MoS. MoS had Superman feeling lost, conflicted, and not understanding his role in the world. He wants to help, he's not sure he should. Moreover, as I said before, I don't see that Superman really is a symbol of...well...much of anything on an ethical level. He's a symbol of power, of course. He has an internal sense of duty, which is reasonably clear, but he never talks about why he does what he does, and he doesn't convey a sense of earnestness the way Cap does.

MoS also featured some really poor directorial and story choices in terms of what was emphasized, and what was ignored. I've mentioned that the film doesn't seem to spend a ton of time addressing why he acts as he does. He doesn't talk about doing what's right, or even about his own sense of duty. He doesn't address how he wants to inspire people to do good themselves. I don't get a sense of...I dunno...inherent goodness in him. I get a sense of inherent power and a general sense of duty, but not goodness, and I distinguish those things. Compare that to Chris Reeves' performance or even Brandon Routh's (who I maintain got a raw deal and would have made a great Superman in a better film), and it's just night-and-day different.

In MoS, he isn't a symbol yet. It's the first part of him getting there. Our Superman is developing on screen in front of us, rather than him being set up entirely within one film. I agree that I'd probably enjoy a little more exposition from Clark at certain points. But it is shown that he is a relatively quiet person within this film, and keeps to himself unless he is talking to someone that knows him (Martha, and then Lois) truly. When he gains the suit, learns to fly and is then given a choice to defy or give himself up to Zod, he gives himself up, if it means even a slim chance of Zod sparing people's lives. He gives himself up to humanity, who immediately cuff him, are wary of him, some even think he might be poisonous or carrying alien diseases, and then they hand him over to the aliens that have come to retrieve him. Compare that to Cap. No one is afraid of his abilities when he becomes powerful. They applaud him, literally. And then once the program falls through - they don't even see him as anything. Just a poster boy, despite his abilities.

Christopher Reeves Supes disappeared from life for 12 years after his father died. He certainly wasn't saving anyone within that time (MoS Clark was...). Reeves was receiving guidance, and council, and learning about the known universe. He was literally primed with knowledge, and then sent out to do good in the world. I agree, what was presented to us as Superman was hopeful and confident. He had reasons to be. The reaction to finding out there was alien life on the planet in the film was a reporter asking him if his junk worked like a normal mans, or if he was dating someone. Great back then, and I love the film, I truly do. But realistic? Not at all.

Totally agree about Routh. He was given a "safe" yet "modern" Supes to deal with - which was a massive shame. He still did the role justice, but some of the story choices in that film were not even defensible by having a deeper look at it. Some great action pieces though. And still a really good looking film.

Meanwhile, the climactic fight against Zod occurs entirely within a heavily populated metropolitan area...when it sure seems like he could've tried to move the fight elsewhere. If you're engaged in a punchy-punchy punch-fest with Zod, maybe fly him, I dunno, up in to space? Out towards the ocean? To the desert? Try something, at least. Maybe he did and I just didn't notice because I was so terribly bored by the fight.

This is possibly the most annoying thing to defend because it comes up all the time. But within the context of the film (not who we think Superman should be) what on earth makes you think Clark is experienced enough as a fighter to take on Zod at all? Never mind take him on and be able to control the fight. And never mind the fact that during this fight, Zod specifically states that he is going to take humanity from Clark, he is going to kill all of us. Even prior to that, Faora had stated "for every one you save, we will kill a million more" Zod would simply return to a populated area. It is shown throughout the fight that Zod is the superior "I was bred to be a warrior, Kal" "Where were you trained? On a FARM?" and he is absolutely right. Clark was raised on a farm, and taught his entire life that hitting someone might kill them. He has literally never punched another person before he crashes into Zod after they have hurt his mother. Those are the very first punches he has ever thrown! Great scene btw, "You think you can threaten my mother!" I don't know why people think that he stood a chance at controlling that fight, and even if he could, Zod would find more innocents to slaughter, as was his modus operandi at that point.

I suppose the bulk of this deserves to be laid at Zack Snyder's feet, and what he and his corporate masters think is "cool." All it said to me was "These people don't understand the essence of these characters. All they get are the surface aspects."

I think the reason why people tolerate killing in the Marvel films is that the killing is never really contrary to the essence of the characters, whereas in DC's film series, the characters' essences aren't all that well defined beyond raw power. Or at least, to what little extent they are, they're generally outshone by the displays of power, again, probably because Snyder just thinks it's cool.

I understand where you're coming from, and I don't think I'll change your mind, but I hope any of this can possibly help you to enjoy a repeat viewing. Because that's the main point - enjoying these films. I know once people have made their mind up it's usually a done deal. But I've maintained for a long time that repeat viewings and open minded nature really increases the enjoyment of these films massively. And that's all I care about really, is ensuring that any of these films, I enjoy myself.

It is a little hypocritical to say that the marvel characters are inherently good (and shown to be) and that killing isn't contrary to that - if DC's characters arent as well defined, then killing should be more acceptable logically speaking. But I know that isn't the point you're making, I'm just messing.

In terms of Zack, I can see what you mean, but he is a director at the end of the day. He is responsible for directing and producing a solid story (there really is, in my opinion, a beautifully solid story in MoS if it is given the right space to be told, and not shoehorned into what it "should" be) but if you don't like the story, that is the screenwriter.

No arguing on the Cap characterization - sums it up perfectly. But what I will ask is what is there to be conflicted about for Captain in those films? He doesn't have to fear his own abilities, he doesn't have to fear that the world will reject him (even when the military rejects him, he is literally adored by audience as he helps people buy bonds), he doesn't have to worry about what the world will do when it finds out at large that he exists, that he literally isn't from this planet. There is no job role that advertises "Superhero" in the description. In the world we are presented with, what we are shown is a person who is inherently good, has the powers of a god, and isn't sure what his position in the world can be (if he ever would have a position. He cannot expect that humanity would accept who he is at any point?)
You could invent reasons for Steve to be conflicted. Worried that he's too skinny/frail to be a soldier, fear of dying, worried after his gaining powers about leading men in the field and losing them, fears of getting too close to Peggy because he can never give her a normal life, worrying if he's up to the task of being a national symbol, etc., etc., etc. And yet, he feels none of that. He's unflinching, knows what he has to do, knows why he has to do it, and the sense of goodness and optimism comes through clearly in the writing and the performance.

In short, Chris Evans and the script itself perfectly (in my opinion) captured the essence of what is Captain America. His costume may not be the cloth one with the wings sticking out on the sides, but that kind of minutia is meaningless when you nail the core of the character and have a film that otherwise supports that depiction.

In MoS, he isn't a symbol yet. It's the first part of him getting there. Our Superman is developing on screen in front of us, rather than him being set up entirely within one film. I agree that I'd probably enjoy a little more exposition from Clark at certain points. But it is shown that he is a relatively quiet person within this film, and keeps to himself unless he is talking to someone that knows him (Martha, and then Lois) truly. When he gains the suit, learns to fly and is then given a choice to defy or give himself up to Zod, he gives himself up, if it means even a slim chance of Zod sparing people's lives. He gives himself up to humanity, who immediately cuff him, are wary of him, some even think he might be poisonous or carrying alien diseases, and then they hand him over to the aliens that have come to retrieve him. Compare that to Cap. No one is afraid of his abilities when he becomes powerful. They applaud him, literally. And then once the program falls through - they don't even see him as anything. Just a poster boy, despite his abilities.

Right, but to me, none of that really captures the essence of Superman. It's interesting as a generic demi-god-falls-to-earth story, but it ain't who Superman is. Also, the idea of "Well, he'll evolve in front of you" is interesting conceptually, but poorly executed. When you're dealing with a character who is a known quantity, I actually think the better move is to stick to the core elements of the character. I actually think that the Spider-Man 2 and Incredible Hulk opening credits have handled this the best way. They show the origin story IN the credits, and then start the film proper in media res.

I mean, really, do we NEED to see the Batman or Superman origin on screen? It's been done and done to death. I get that THIS Superman is different from what you know, so, yes, you do kinda need to see his origin...but that's also kind of my point. Don't mess with perfection, man. Don't introduce change for its own sake.

Christopher Reeves Supes disappeared from life for 12 years after his father died. He certainly wasn't saving anyone within that time (MoS Clark was...). Reeves was receiving guidance, and council, and learning about the known universe. He was literally primed with knowledge, and then sent out to do good in the world. I agree, what was presented to us as Superman was hopeful and confident. He had reasons to be. The reaction to finding out there was alien life on the planet in the film was a reporter asking him if his junk worked like a normal mans, or if he was dating someone. Great back then, and I love the film, I truly do. But realistic? Not at all.

I'd forgotten that Reeves spends 12 years in the Fortress of Solitude learning "how to human AND kryptonian," learning his place in the world, learning why he matters and what he can do for the people of Earth. As for it being unrealistic....well...so what? We're talking about a guy who can fly and shoot heat rays from his eyes. "Realistic" is on a sliding scale. ;)

In seriousness, though, there's no reason why he needs to go to the kryptonian archive to learn all of this. The new Supergirl show is doing a FANTASTIC job of showcasing a character who just exudes goodness and optimism, while also struggling at times with her own self confidence. You could do that. Or you could show that it's not Clark's kryptonian ancestry that makes the difference, but rather his human upbringing that imbues in him a sense of "Always do the right thing, especially because you above all others have the ability to do so. Share your gift with the world, but be safe about it." Instead, Snyder's version has him afraid to use his powers in large part because of the screwed up upbringing he had. I think that upbringing is more realistic in the sense that it's much more likely in the real world that a person like Superman would be feared and loathed merely for his power...but you know what? I watch superhero movies to escape the real world. This is why I find a lot of the gritty grimdark films to be boring, depressing, or otherwise off-putting.

Totally agree about Routh. He was given a "safe" yet "modern" Supes to deal with - which was a massive shame. He still did the role justice, but some of the story choices in that film were not even defensible by having a deeper look at it. Some great action pieces though. And still a really good looking film.

That it is. And he's been fantastic on Arrow and Legends of Tomorrow as Ray Palmer. Also his work on Chuck was a lot of fun. I really like him as an actor, but I think he's gotten screwed by some of the roles he's taken (e.g Superman Returns and Dylan Dog).

This is possibly the most annoying thing to defend because it comes up all the time. But within the context of the film (not who we think Superman should be) what on earth makes you think Clark is experienced enough as a fighter to take on Zod at all? Never mind take him on and be able to control the fight. And never mind the fact that during this fight, Zod specifically states that he is going to take humanity from Clark, he is going to kill all of us. Even prior to that, Faora had stated "for every one you save, we will kill a million more" Zod would simply return to a populated area. It is shown throughout the fight that Zod is the superior "I was bred to be a warrior, Kal" "Where were you trained? On a FARM?" and he is absolutely right. Clark was raised on a farm, and taught his entire life that hitting someone might kill them. He has literally never punched another person before he crashes into Zod after they have hurt his mother. Those are the very first punches he has ever thrown! Great scene btw, "You think you can threaten my mother!" I don't know why people think that he stood a chance at controlling that fight, and even if he could, Zod would find more innocents to slaughter, as was his modus operandi at that point.

Well, that kinda goes back to my point about handling characters in these films. I understand that MoS is trying to tell a specific story, but it's a specific story about somebody other than Superman. Or at least other than the Superman everyone knows. I don't recognize this Superman. Sure, he's got the costume and the look. Sure, he has the powers, and some of the high points about his background. But the core of the character? Not really the same guy. That's by choice, too. That much is clear. And perhaps, within the context of those choices, the A-to-B-to-C of it all remains internally consistent.

But we're talking about a Superman film here. And as a Superman film, I think it ultimately fails in its depiction of the character. That doesn't mean he needs to be saying "Great Krypton!" or "I used my super-[insert randomly made up power here] to solve the problem!" and other similar cheesy aspects of the Silver Age version of the character, but he needs to be recognizably Superman beyond just the costume and the powers, and for me, that's where the film fails. Well, that and I found it boring and overlong, but that's a separate issue. :)

I understand where you're coming from, and I don't think I'll change your mind, but I hope any of this can possibly help you to enjoy a repeat viewing. Because that's the main point - enjoying these films. I know once people have made their mind up it's usually a done deal. But I've maintained for a long time that repeat viewings and open minded nature really increases the enjoyment of these films massively. And that's all I care about really, is ensuring that any of these films, I enjoy myself.

You've got me thinking about trying to evaluate the film as a self-contained exercise, rather than referencing past versions of Superman. I went in wanting to watch a Superman film, and my experience was that I got a fairly dull film about a guy with similar powers and backstory, but who didn't really resemble the Superman I think of. That's not to say that the character in the film isn't well-depicted as that other character, but I think it fails as Superman. For me, at least.

It is a little hypocritical to say that the marvel characters are inherently good (and shown to be) and that killing isn't contrary to that - if DC's characters arent as well defined, then killing should be more acceptable logically speaking. But I know that isn't the point you're making, I'm just messing.

There's more to it than that. I mean, Cap's inherent goodness and optimism comes through, and his killing seems more rooted in the warrior ethos that others have discussed. He doesn't kill for expediency or bloodlust or revenge, nor does he kill as part of his personal mission (a la The Punisher). He kills because he's a soldier in a war and he has to.

More importantly, I think, is the fact that Cap is recognizably Cap, to me, in his films (as are all of the Marvel characters so far), but Superman just...didn't really feel like Superman to me.

In terms of Zack, I can see what you mean, but he is a director at the end of the day. He is responsible for directing and producing a solid story (there really is, in my opinion, a beautifully solid story in MoS if it is given the right space to be told, and not shoehorned into what it "should" be) but if you don't like the story, that is the screenwriter.

As director/producer, Snyder has a LOT of influence in the thrust of the story itself, the depiction of the characters, etc. Ultimately, I lay much of the creative direction at his feet and the feet of the folks running DC/WB. The screenplay is what it is, but it's also not written in stone. There could be rewrites, etc. if desired by the powers that be. The film itself may be good as its own thing, but for me, as a Superman story, it's just not that great. It doesn't depict the character the way I think he should be depicted.

And let's be clear, when you're doing a big branded property like Superman, you're playing to -- and on -- people's expectations. The whole reason you make a film like that is because people go in with certain expectations; expectations you think will lead them to buy a ticket. And when they buy a ticket, they're expecting you to deliver a particular product. If the product doesn't work as they expected it, is it their fault for having the wrong expectations? Sometimes, yeah. In this case, though, I don't think so.

To me it's fairly simple:we as a society have an almost unhealthy obsession to make the world safe and soft and we're just TERRIFIED of death so we worship fictional characters who go out of their way to not kill and always succeed in this even though this has no baring on reality whatsoever.

And yet we have the action movies where the only answer is to kill anybody,waiter screw up your drink? shoot him! :lol

I think if it's shown that there's no choice but to take someone out I have no problem with any hero doing so,sorry but sometimes that's the only way.

Batman is interesting in that he's got this big no-kill,no-guns thing yet of all the DC characters he's the one I'd suspect the most likely to put an end to somebody,Superman would actually be refreshing to see him go and have to kill someone as there's no way for the boyscout to stop them otherwise......

Anyway I think people need to get their head out of their...well you know,because sometimes folks need to die to be stopped,one reason I left American comics as a teen and went full on to anime as people die in Japanese fiction.

Two points, since much of what I'd say otherwise has already been said.

First, I think the disappointment with the portrayals of Superman and Batman have to do with much more than just the killing aspect. There are other ways in which the characters have been depicted "incorrectly" for audiences, such as Superman's deep-seated doubt. But even beyond the characters themselves, there are tonal aspects to the DC films that aren't...what audiences really want. I mean, hell, a lot of it has to do with just the color timing and palette alone.

The Marvel films are generally more brightly lit and feature more primary colors. Character costumes have bright primary colors, too. Even in The Winter Soldier -- arguably the "darkest" of the Marvel films -- the rest of the world is still generally brightly lit. The action occurs chiefly in the light of day. Even in Thor: The Dark World, Thor still has his crimson cloak, and Loki is clad in forest green.

By contrast, the DC films all use much more muted, grey color palettes and even the normally-brightly-colored Superman is wearing a navy-blue uniform with an almost burgundy cape. Batman's costume -- reminiscent of TDKR -- is black and grey. The end. Doesn't even feature the yellow "shield" around the bat. Now, Batman's always been a darker character, so people probably have less issue with that, but when you also factor in the initial look at Suicide Squad and the releases of character portraits for the rest of the Justice League, everything is dark dark dark. Colors are muted or darker colors. And it's almost like there's no sunshine in the DC film universe, or that it's perpetually overcast.

I think that all of that, combined with a generally more super-serious and dour tone to the performances tends to make the DC universe just seem...too pessimistic, too dark, too lacking in hope for people. Mind you, this is a complete reversal from what people used to believe about DC. Most people's notions of DC are rooted in Silver Age (or even Golden Age) sensibilities, and while that had its fair share of cheese associated with it, it strikes me that WB/DC threw the baby out with the bathwater. In an effort to ensure that people didn't view the films as cheesy, WB/DC went the polar opposite direction and made them grimdark and super-serious.

That works pretty well for Batman, but it's WAY off point for Superman. When people say that Captain America makes a better Superman than Superman, they say it because Chris Evans' depiction of the character is all about the moral code he carries, and generally is an upbeat figure who exudes a sense of hope and optimism. I mean, in the Blackest Night crossover event in the mid aughts, Superman became a Blue Lantern -- the Lantern Corps that were the agents of hope. The Superman from MoS/BvS, though? No freaking way. Superman in MoS/BvS is basically ******-lite.

He's ***** with all of the self-sacrifice and doubt in the garden of Gethsemane, but none of the parables or teachings of peace and love for each other, etc. Superman in MoS didn't really seem to have a moral code by which he lived. He had a conflicted sense of duty, but that's not exactly the same thing. He didn't do things "because they were right" or "because they were good," but rather "because only I can do them." This is, apparently, taken to ridiculous extremes in BvS when he kills Doomsday with a spear, and then skewers himself on it so that he can sail off to Avalon and become the once and future Superman or something. (Never mind the fact that Wonder Woman could've just killed Doomsday with the spear.)

Anyway, Superman doesn't really make his core sense of ethics clear. Captain America does. You get a sense from Captain America of his strong sense of duty, and it's NEVER conflicted. Or at least, to the extent it is conflicted, it's more a question of to WHAT he is loyal, rather than whether he is loyal and willing to act. So, in the Winter Soldier, the issue becomes that there are corrupt forces within SHIELD, which makes him question his loyalty to SHIELD, rather than to America itself. It's sort of the question of "Whom does the Army serve? The government, or the people?" For Cap, it's ultimately the people and the ideals of America.

I didn't get any of that from Superman. At least not in MoS, and I gather from other folks, not in BvS, either. But again, that could also be a factor due to the structure of these films, and other creative decisions like lighting and color timing and such.

I cant emphasize how accurate this is, and exactly how I feel, couldnt agree more. You should run for president. Very well written.

Haha, I definitely should NOT run for president. You have no idea what skeletons I have in my closet, and frankly I don't have the patience to spend my days kissing people's asses for donations.

So when exactly did Batman get this no-kill rule? I read Batman extensively up until about 1983. While I don't necessarily remember him killing anyone, I don't ever remember that being specifically brought up in his character.

Quite early on when they changed batman from just a knockoff from the phantom where he killed and used guns to the batman we know. Not like he never killed again tho in the comics be it not often.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, but was it specifically stated in the comics, or did they just change it and he didn't kill anymore?

I'm not iterating that it wasn't there, I'm just saying I don't ever remember reading that.

Yes, but was it specifically stated in the comics, or did they just change it and he didn't kill anymore?

I'm not iterating that it wasn't there, I'm just saying I don't ever remember reading that.

They just took em away when he got his self titled comic in 1940. Think there was 1 moment with him and robin where he says something about not using any type of gun to kill.

A soldier or cop or even private citizen for self defense is real world and is necessary, unavoidable. We all can understand that.
Comic book characters are not generally depicted in our realistic world. They are fantasy characters and can only exist in those places, yes I know... some are real world types and some overlap like Punisher I guess that embrace killing.
The biggies like a Supes or Bats are supposed to be about really high ideals, it's defining for them. when you cast those characteristics aside, you have tossed the character's core make up. They cease to be those characters anymore, so there is a cost to "more realistic" or what have you. This seems so obvious to me.

Bats is allowed to do his thing by Gordon because he doesn't kill, he is cool because he operates in darkness literally in the darkness of the soul
on the edge of the abyss, but not to fall into it by taking the easy way and killing. Supes is omnipotent, a god that could rid the earth of villains
in two minutes, but still lives by this code and it is exploited by villains as a weakness. Not killing gives him the savior type characteristics that make him great, that reduce humanity's fear of him being so powerful. You can count on him on this. Trust.
You start stripping away the core beliefs and behaviors, well you have something less and not so "super hero" anymore.

Batfleck and Steelman are characters to me that are NOT the same. I cannot view them as the characters I fell in love with so many years ago. Some don't care, some say bring it, well I can't. I won't. And frankly
I don't understand that at all no matter how cool they make them look or act. Sad times to me really on the big screen right now for this stuff.

Last edited:
A soldier or cop or even private citizen for self defense is real world and is necessary, unavoidable. We all can understand that.
Comic book characters are not generally depicted in our realistic world. They are fantasy characters and can only exist in those places, yes I know... some are real world types and some overlap like Punisher I guess that embrace killing.
The biggies like a Supes or Bats are supposed to be about really high ideals, it's defining for them. when you cast those characteristics aside, you have tossed the character's core make up. They cease to be those characters anymore, so there is a cost to "more realistic" or what have you. This seems so obvious to me.

Bats is allowed to do his thing by Gordon because he doesn't kill, he is cool because he operates in darkness literally in the darkness of the soul
on the edge of the abyss, but not to fall into it by taking the easy way and killing. Supes is omnipotent, a god that could rid the earth of villains
in two minutes, but still lives by this code and it is exploited by villains as a weakness. Not killing gives him the savior type characteristics that make him great, that reduce humanity's fear of him being so powerful. You can count on him on this. Trust.
You start stripping away the core beliefs and behaviors, well you have something less and not so "super hero" anymore.

Batfleck and Steelman are characters to me that are NOT the same. I cannot view them as the characters I fell in love with so many years ago. Some don't care, some say bring it, well I can't. I won't. And frankly
I don't understand that at all no matter how cool they make them look or act. Sad times to me really on the big screen right now for this stuff.

This is weird, but I don't disagree with you in the sense of these characters no longer being part of the fantasy comic world (in this particular iteration) - absolutely solid point. I am however glad of that. And this I suppose is where probably the main difference lies with this stuff - I want to see flavours of the comics, but in a new story, a new interpretation. And that is what I'm getting - and despite what people seem to think, for me, there is depth and nuance and character in these films that doesn't hinge on a lighter, comedic tone to engage (which is a totally viable and excellent way of telling these stories, but should not be the only way to tell these stories) investment in the characters.

I am invested in this Superman specifically because of Man of Steel, the beautiful sadness that surrounds this Alien who is trying to find his path - I've fallen further in love with that film on each viewing. Consequently of course I care about this character and his journey.

This Batman, the opening sequence and the monologue about his dream. I loved that - it sets up where the character is at in his life, gives his overall impression of the world. It's delivered in a way that I've always read some of the Batman comics when I've read his thought bubbles sometimes, when he is talking about something in a more abstract way. Spending time with Bats throughout BvS first hour gives us this driven, melancholic character who is single minded, and deals with a dual persona, who has a great connection to Alfred. So I'm invested in Batman too. etc.

Absolutely can understand why it might not be for some though - but then the comics and the animated shows still exist, so I know I can always go back to them for that particular iteration. Bringing these characters into the real world does require some flexibility on the characters themselves, but within the film universe it's logically consistent that I can see so far with what they do (in terms of killing/taking a life)

What I'm glad about is that these characters on film don't show joy at the acts of killing or crack untimely jokes during their battles - something that works in the MCU and X-Men universes because their characters have been built up into that tone of light-hearted killing - in Justice League, I expect the addition of more light hearted characters to lift the overall tone and introduce natural levity (Flash with his speed and optimism, Aquaman to an extent with most likely some dark humour, Cyborg if he is characterised as the young jock with fledgling powers etc.) into the DCEU, and especially now that we are beyond the point of Superman being the only public hero with the weight of the world, and we are beyond feuds - Bats and Supes can start to build trust and friendship now, which will lead to more humorous moments and a slightly lighter tone (which is what they've said is going to happen, JL will be lighter)

Last edited:
Mneh. My big problem with Clark's arc in MoS and BvS is that... Well... Marvel's licensed properties -- X-Men, Fantastic Four, Ghost Rider, and Spider-Man -- have had several hard or soft reboots in 17 films. Which is one of the lasting criticisms of those properties. With all the plot inconsistencies in the past and present X-films, I totally agree with Deadpool -- these timelines are so confusing! Like, how is Emma Frost older in the '60s than in the '80s?

Meanwhile, if we start counting Marvel's in-house films with Blade and going through Civil War, we've gotten 17 films with only one hard reboot (Hulk) and only a couple recastings-on-the-fly (Hulk, Rhodey, and Fandral).

Contrast both of those track records against DC/WB. Starting with 1978's Superman: The Movie, we've gotten 14 films (not counting Catwoman, as it wasn't really telling the story of the actual DC character), in which are three or four hard reboots* (and accompanying retellings of their origins) and six recastings of Superman and Batman alone -- never mind principle supporting characters (granted, one of those was necessitated by the loss of Chris Reeve, so I'll excuse it).

[*It's not explicitly clear yet if BvS' Batman is a reboot or just a recasting. I presume the former.]

This is all relevant because each time you reboot a character, you have the opportunity to change things up, for better or worse. Fox has -- after X-Men III and X-Men Origins: Wolverine -- been at least trying to refine and enrich that story and its characters. We can argue relative success elsewhere. But, in general, those who were opposed to killing in the beginning still are now, and those who were willing to in the beginning still are now. Despite other bungling, Sony was maing things rather interesting with Andrew Garfield's Spider-Man, and going far to swing the pendulum back away from Tobey Maguire's angsty version that never rang "faithful" to me. FF and Ghost Rider I won't talk about.

Marvel, themselves remained pretty consistent with the Blade movies (even if the villain's plan makes no sense) and only really bobbled with the first Hulk film. Everything since then has been consistent, has captured the essence of each character, regardless of specific details (Jarvis being an AI versus a human butler, Captain America's suit not being scale mail, etc.), and that includes their core values for or against lethal force.

Over in DC's comics, one thing that's remained largely consistent has been Superman and Batman avoiding lethal force -- often to their detriment. Regardless of details like underwear on the outside or no, that's been a generally-agreed-upon linchpin of their respective characters for over half a century. Superman was at least consistent with that in the films up until MoS, but all the way back to Batman '89, Bruce has used missiles and guns and grenades and bombs and not even blinked at lethal force. I feel it does his character a disservice, and each time DC/WB reboot or recast him in the films they have an opportunity to steer him more toward his comic-book self... and are inconsistent about it. Which is sort of where I'm left with all of this -- enough with the origin stories. We're familiar enough with both Superman and Batman, we can prety much skip right into the story. People in third-world countries know who Superman is and where he comes from. The first Superman movie managed to compress his finding-himself period into a dissolve that ended the first act of the film. We certainly don't need to spend two whole movies waiting for Superman to figure himself out all over again.

How BvS introduced Batman and Wonder Woman (albeit rushed) was some of what I liked best and what DC (but not Marvel) need to do -- throw the characters at us and let us get to know them and where they came from over the next couple films. At least until we get past the ones who have been on screens large and small almost continuously over the last forty years. Let Booster Gold and Firestorm and Dr. Fate and the Spectre get origin-story films. People haven't been exposed to them in general pop culture.

--Jonah

Mneh. My big problem with Clark's arc in MoS and BvS is that... Well... Marvel's licensed properties -- X-Men, Fantastic Four, Ghost Rider, and Spider-Man -- have had several hard or soft reboots in 17 films. Which is one of the lasting criticisms of those properties. With all the plot inconsistencies in the past and present X-films, I totally agree with Deadpool -- these timelines are so confusing! Like, how is Emma Frost older in the '60s than in the '80s?

Meanwhile, if we start counting Marvel's in-house films with Blade and going through Civil War, we've gotten 17 films with only one hard reboot (Hulk) and only a couple recastings-on-the-fly (Hulk, Rhodey, and Fandral).

Contrast both of those track records against DC/WB. Starting with 1978's Superman: The Movie, we've gotten 14 films (not counting Catwoman, as it wasn't really telling the story of the actual DC character), in which are three or four hard reboots* (and accompanying retellings of their origins) and six recastings of Superman and Batman alone -- never mind principle supporting characters (granted, one of those was necessitated by the loss of Chris Reeve, so I'll excuse it).

[*It's not explicitly clear yet if BvS' Batman is a reboot or just a recasting. I presume the former.]

This is all relevant because each time you reboot a character, you have the opportunity to change things up, for better or worse. Fox has -- after X-Men III and X-Men Origins: Wolverine -- been at least trying to refine and enrich that story and its characters. We can argue relative success elsewhere. But, in general, those who were opposed to killing in the beginning still are now, and those who were willing to in the beginning still are now. Despite other bungling, Sony was maing things rather interesting with Andrew Garfield's Spider-Man, and going far to swing the pendulum back away from Tobey Maguire's angsty version that never rang "faithful" to me. FF and Ghost Rider I won't talk about.

Marvel, themselves remained pretty consistent with the Blade movies (even if the villain's plan makes no sense) and only really bobbled with the first Hulk film. Everything since then has been consistent, has captured the essence of each character, regardless of specific details (Jarvis being an AI versus a human butler, Captain America's suit not being scale mail, etc.), and that includes their core values for or against lethal force.

Over in DC's comics, one thing that's remained largely consistent has been Superman and Batman avoiding lethal force -- often to their detriment. Regardless of details like underwear on the outside or no, that's been a generally-agreed-upon linchpin of their respective characters for over half a century. Superman was at least consistent with that in the films up until MoS, but all the way back to Batman '89, Bruce has used missiles and guns and grenades and bombs and not even blinked at lethal force. I feel it does his character a disservice, and each time DC/WB reboot or recast him in the films they have an opportunity to steer him more toward his comic-book self... and are inconsistent about it. Which is sort of where I'm left with all of this -- enough with the origin stories. We're familiar enough with both Superman and Batman, we can prety much skip right into the story. People in third-world countries know who Superman is and where he comes from. The first Superman movie managed to compress his finding-himself period into a dissolve that ended the first act of the film. We certainly don't need to spend two whole movies waiting for Superman to figure himself out all over again.

How BvS introduced Batman and Wonder Woman (albeit rushed) was some of what I liked best and what DC (but not Marvel) need to do -- throw the characters at us and let us get to know them and where they came from over the next couple films. At least until we get past the ones who have been on screens large and small almost continuously over the last forty years. Let Booster Gold and Firestorm and Dr. Fate and the Spectre get origin-story films. People haven't been exposed to them in general pop culture.

--Jonah

That's fair enough - I personally enjoy seeing these guys develop, but I know people want to see them straight in there for a solid "established" story etc.

I disagree that Snyder doesn't get the characters. I believe that of course, as with any interpretation, there can be improvements and alterations that would enhance certain aspects. You at least sound like you've taken the time to interpret and judge it with some thought, so I'm not going to reiterate any arguments here. Some of us will always have differing opinions. :thumbsup

It is explicitly clear that MoS and BvS is not part of the same universe as Nolan's stuff, btw. Nolan has stated a few times that he wanted an entirely isolated Batman universe for his films, no other heroes etc.

That's fair enough - I personally enjoy seeing these guys develop, but I know people want to see them straight in there for a solid "established" story etc.

Right. My problem is more that, regardless of how well or badly it'd handled, I'm just tired of seeing Superman's or Batman's origin all over again. Wonder Woman's we've at least already only seen once, sort of, and back in the '70s. So that's essentially new ground. Even though they're rebooting Supes and Bats, their origins -- at least the generalities of them -- are part of the cultural zeitgeist. We don't need to see them to know them. So with these new incarnations, I feel giving us the character and then filling in backstory on these particular iterations over time would have been a better way to go... Which looks like what we'll be getting with this Batman. For Clark/Kal... I feel like I'd've preferred to see him first as the reporter for the Daily Planet, then Superman shows up to do his first bit of public rescuing, and then we deal with his struggle to get to that point in relevant snippets triggered by things people ask or say or do -- almost Highlander style. Meanwhile, I would love to see the entire first act of MoS expanded into a "Last Days of Krypton" miniseries or film (and not the Krypton series we have). Like how Rogue One is showing some of the backstory of a significant plot pont of Star Wars -- but that wouldn't have fit in the latter's narrative.

I disagree that Snyder doesn't get the characters. I believe that of course, as with any interpretation, there can be improvements and alterations that would enhance certain aspects. You at least sound like you've taken the time to interpret and judge it with some thought, so I'm not going to reiterate any arguments here. Some of us will always have differing opinions. :thumbsup

My impression of Snyder is that he -- like Lucas and Abrams -- need a bit of practice in what needs to be shown versus what should happen off-camera, and when. More about editing choices, narrative pacing, and his use or misuse of supporting characters (Lois, Jimmy, military, Jonathan, etc.) And he does occasionally make what I feel are creative missteps. He did great with 300, but the comic was essentially a storyboard for the film. It would have been really hard for him to screw it up. Ditto Watchmen, and I'm one who criticizes his altered ending, as it makes no sense. I don't object to his take on Clark becoming Superman -- I object to how much time he spent on it and the manner in which some of it was presented (i.e., his take on Pa Kent versus the 1978 version which still holds up very well). And I don't object to his take on Batman -- I think a bit of screen time should have been given over to how Bruce used to avoid lethal force, but he's "fallen from grace" and, over the course of BvS, he finds his way back and is now seeking to atone (at least to himself).

It is explicitly clear that MoS and BvS is not part of the same universe as Nolan's stuff, btw. Nolan has stated a few times that he wanted an entirely isolated Batman universe for his films, no other heroes etc.

I know, but I don't know what DC/WB will say, as I don't know how beholden they feel to what Nolan says. I could see his films as kicking off the DCCU, followed by MoS set a few years later... I could see this version of Batman as another reboot. It all depends on how Suicide Squad (and its Joker) and the next Batman film play out.

--Jonah

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back