Finished modifications (almost) Denix getting a nicer booty

Lukesfather

Well , i guess its not the first denix mod. Thread in here , but i havent seen any mods for the rear of the gun.
my biggest consern about the Denix is the butt end , and the lack of detail , it only became more appereant when i recived my Hfc 712 a couple of days ago , the detail in the upper is way better than the Denix.
I had already started to sharpen the details on my Denix , and i figured it should be possible to add some detail to the backend also.
Enter the hacksaw !! I cut out the whole rear , filed off the fake tabs on the side and cut notches for the new real tabs .
The new part i cut roughly from a block of aluminium , and shaped with files and a Dremmel tool .
This is about as far as i got this morning , its still a lot of filing and sanding left , but even at this stage im more happy with it than it was before.
Next i'll shape a new safety knob , and maybe make it so that it can move.
The hammer is also a question for later , keep and reshape or just start from scratch ?
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Last edited:
Re: Denix getting a nicer booty

Looks good so far! Smart idea cutting diagonally instead of hollowing it out completely - I'd bet that saved a lot of work.

I remade the hammer but thought it would be too much work to do what you did and build a new lock frame. You'll need a drill press for the hole at the top of the hammer. The concentric rings around the hole were the hardest - I scored them with drill bits for wood and then deepened them with needle files: Do try to come up with a better way of doing them if you can.
I have not found a way to patina aluminium to make it look more like steel; I may have to resort to paint.

Holy SMOKES, man! If you did all that with hand tools you are a freakin' surgeon. Well done!

Thanks for the kind words guys :O)
started shaping the hammer , its to low ,but has anyone tried to move the pin a few millimeters higer ?
will that affect the function of the mechanism ?

denix.jpg

It is difficult to drill a hole straight that is not completely outside the original hole. And the original hole would have to be filled.

Yes, you would have to alter the mechanism. The latch slides on the bottom. Either elevate that bottom or make the latch thicker.

The Denix hammer is just too short. You'd be better off replacing it entirely. Nice mods by the way!

I still can't believe this started as a Denix. This is a brilliant mod... and all with hand tools, no less.
I might have to try this.

God, all these amazing Denix mods on this forum! They make me want to hack away at my finished DL-44 knowing full well that I'll cock it up.

Looks so cool now! Have you thought of trying to install a real hammer(and safety), to replace the denix one?

I agree with PoopaPapaPalps, seeing this makes me want to try it badly, if nothing else a moveable, if nonfunctioning safety but I'm afraid of messing it up beyond use.

Last edited by a moderator:

This is my first prop ever , so i think i will stick to the Denix hammer for this one, but i will probably do another soon , currently planning a e-11 build with original parts as far as possible , main problem is getting the Sterlig parts shipped to Norway , no problem importing , but the export from the US is a bit tricky

Looks so cool now! Have you thought of trying to install a real hammer(and safety), to replace the denix one?

I agree with @PoopaPapaPalps, seeing this makes me want to try it badly, if nothing else a moveable, if nonfunctioning safety but I'm afraid of messing it up beyond use.

Then it was time for the bolt . This one lacks a lot of detail , first thing was to machine a slot for the tab on the top ( dont know the term for this piece )
looking at a lot of pictures of c96s i noticed its quite a few different versions around , so i went for a average solution .
it comprised basically of radies and straight lines . So i marked up the center of all five curves an drilled them out with a 4,5mm bit , then i cut the lines with a cutting wheel on the dremmel , a little inside the lines .
Then changed to a router bit , put the bolt in a vise vith a hard metal ruler alligned with the lines i wanted an used the router to grind down to an exactish line , not gunsmith finish , but not to bad either.
made the tab from a piece of aluminium , and fit it to the slot i cut .
on the back i freshened up the grooves on the sides , and also filed off about a millimeter of the thickness of back , i think this part is just to chunky on the denix, and punched in the last three digits of the serialnumber , looking to be a matching number gun
Filed off the back of the firingpin , rounded it and cut a groove, also expanded the hole in the bolt , to match a c96.

First try with aluminium black , that stuff is just magic , brushed on with a spunge it turned the parts black in a second , encuraged i had to try it on the whole upper , that is now basically finished , and here are the results ::

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Last edited:

...first thing was to machine a slot for the tab on the top ( dont know the term for this piece )...

Extractor I believe. As the bolt moves backwards the ejector grabs the lip of the spent round and ejects it out of the top. As the bolt then moves forward that piece grabs the next round from the magazine and brings it to battery.

Keep up the good work, man!

Edit:

Actually the extractor may be the piece that grabs the round (and is that oblong part) as the ejector is often a separate piece. Gotta get some C96 owners in here to say for sure. The broomhandle was... unique.

Last edited:

Never thought i would go this far with this denix , but i might as well finish what i started :)
time for the mag bottom plate , figured i might as well make one , so i drilled out the profile of the curve of the new plate first , then cut away the fixed bottom plate , and filed it even , cut a slot in the front for the tab holding it in place .
the new plate was made from a 3mm sheet of aluminium , just filed to shape , after the fit was pretty good i folded the front up 90 degrees and formed the tab to fit the slot i cut in the gun body .
then i drilled the hole for the locking tab with a 5,5 mm drillbit , and widened the hole with a 8mm drillbit just by turning it with the fingers to make the slanted edge around the release tab
the tab itself is just a 6mm screw that i rounded with my dremmel and epoxied in place .
pretty happy with the result , still som finishing up with 400 grit sandpaper but its shaping up now .
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Last edited:
Getting there now , today i desided to fill in the hole after the screw that originaly holds togheter the upper and lower in the front , what i did was turning a 8mm drillbit with my fingers in the hole to make a tapered ege of the hole from both sides , then i used what was left from the old safetyknob , cut it so i could hammer it into the hole , the put the gun on a piece of steel and hammered the metal of the knob so it filled the hole completely, some filing and sanding and the hole is no more :)
same thing basically withe the hole from the pins holding the hammer and trigger , cut the pins aprox 6 mm shorter , deformed one end by knocking it a little oval , and drove the pin a few mm into the gun.
Then i used aluminium rod cut short pieces and hammered it even with the gun on both sides and sanded , only problem was i found out the rod was not solid alu , so this has to be redone, but even now it looks way better.

3.jpg2.jpg

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back