Animatronic chin strap advice

batbaa

Hey guys, I am making an animatronic puppet head with a number of servos to control the face. I need the voice actor to be able to talk and have the jaw of the puppet replicate the motion of the actors mouth. I have hunted the web for hours and I can't find any pictures or references of a chin strap headset. I remember seeing one years ago to control Chucky in the first Child's Play film but I can't find anything now. Does anyone have any references for this type of gear?

From the special features short on the DVD:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=cQ74Li8HSaY#t=179
At 4:20, you get a good demonstration of how the thing works: a sports chin strap is attached to a headband, and attached to the hard plastic chin piece are two metal rods that loop into small levers on the headband that actuate what I assume are variable resistors. A rubber band is strung between the headband, behind the ear, and the other side of the lever. A small console with two analog sticks is also provided to actuate lip movements.
B&W photo with the full puppeteering crew of the (hero?) Chucky puppet:
4d756e75728e978765bd7d1f7c4a000a.jpg

Thanks for the link, that is very helpful!

Cheers
Kev
From the special features short on the DVD:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=cQ74Li8HSaY#t=179
At 4:20, you get a good demonstration of how the thing works: a sports chin strap is attached to a headband, and attached to the hard plastic chin piece are two metal rods that loop into small levers on the headband that actuate what I assume are variable resistors. A rubber band is strung between the headband, behind the ear, and the other side of the lever. A small console with two analog sticks is also provided to actuate lip movements.
B&W photo with the full puppeteering crew of the (hero?) Chucky puppet:
View attachment 617491

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back