WIP Blade Runner: 2019 STEYR M44

mugatu

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
0E06454B-BEA8-4B32-A5A7-E97B3D5C503B.jpeg

Process and progress documentation to follow shortly.

Last edited:
Re: WIP placeholder: Family Portrait

This is a fantastic beginning photo. I've seen plenty of each item individually but never all at once. It's so cool to see this and I'll be watching closely.

Thanks, guys. I screwed up though and forgot to include my old scope in the pic for the scope knob. And the dry transfer lettering sheet...

Smokin'.

Gets my vote for most anticipated build on the RPF.
Cant wait to see the live fire video from the range when completed.

WIP placeholder: Family Portrait

YES!!

Also, I would buy the hell out of a coffee table book that was just exploded component family-portraits of props.

Last edited:

Thanks, guys. I screwed up though and forgot to include my old scope in the pic for the scope knob. And the dry transfer lettering sheet...

LOL I think we can all let the "screw up" slide.... just this once. :love :popcorn

I typically keep to myself and remain silent unless I feel I can offer something relevant to the dialogue...
But ******* I'm downright giddy about this!

Wow, also took me a while to realize what I was looking at (and I have Tomenosuke and a Coyle one... ;) ).

I've read about people "de-milling" the rifle but no one has ever gone into detail about that process. I can't wait to see you tackle this project.

Thanks for the comments and enthusiasm you guys. It is greatly appreciated now and probably even moreso as this really gets going.
So I'm not really sure how to start this thing...this thing being this build thread.To say that this build is a little overwhelming in its scope would be not surprising, but more precisely, how to lay out this build log is an additional consideration. I guess I should start with the obvious and say, you see what I have and what I don't have, although a few things are still coming. I had to send something back for an exchange, so I'm still waiting on that. A few other missing pieces are for key areas that will be made from scratch, but for the most part, most of the larger pieces for this build are in hand.
First, let me say this build involves firearms.
I will not actually be creating a firearm...the firearm exists already, in fact there are two of them.
95A0CD04-20F2-4E7E-A399-7E2083F10864.jpeg

C70EB904-4B5B-4B13-ABC4-32DC8ACF6C57.jpeg

What's more, I'll be reducing them from two firearms to one firearm. Therefore I am not manufacturing a firearm, which would be legal in my area anyway.
Secondly, what I am doing has been planned out and scrutinized for a long time and with safety being the top priority. I have had to deeply research disciplines about several different topics just to get to this point. I have also had to learn a lot to get to where I feel comfortable enough with my own abilities and understanding of all aspects of this build to proceed.
And, I also have experts helping.
Safety testing will also be undertaken.
Finally, do not attempt to recreate anything shown here. You must abide by your local, state, and federal regulations and laws. It may be illegal for you to do some of this where you are located. Not only am I not responsible for your actions, I am telling you to not do any of this. Your actions are your responsibility and you are liable for them. Without expert knowledge and help, this is dangerous work and should not be attempted on a whim or without exhaustive research and professional training.
I'd like to thank a few people before I start the build:
- spoudastis. He is designing (in 3D) a sight rod for the blaster. It is my intention to have the sight rod hold a tiny green laser module. This concept will have the front trigger act as the ON/OFF for the laser. I'm probably getting ahead of myself mentioning any of this yet. spoudastis help and expertise are invaluable.
- Odiwan72. He has a vast knowledge of building prop replicas (as well as a supreme SW and other blasters collection). He also helps me acquire hard to find parts from time to time. His advice and good humor are invaluable.
- Panaflex. His advice, encouragement, and excitement are greatly appreciated and respected. He has been a main sounding board for me on this and other projects over the last year and he is also invaluable.
- RAC. What can/needs to be said about Rich? You know him. As well as providing the resin grips, my current pewter trigger guard and grip frame, he has provided my replacement barrel for the Bulldog. All this is a tiny grain of sand compared to the trail-blazing he has done for decades on recreating Deckard's blaster. I owe him a lot for his work, which will help me and has helped so many others to have a Blade Runner blaster. Yep, you guessed it: invaluable.
The goals of this build:
1. Safety
2. Build a live-fire blaster in the vein of the one used by Rick Deckard.
3. Green laser sight rod with front trigger activation
4. Lighted Amber grips with binding post control
5. Screwless reload
6. As much steel as possible
7. Hip variation holster
8. Shoulder variation holster
You are probably asking why I'm not specifically making Rick Deckard's blaster. The reason is there are some things I am going to have to do, for safety, that would make this never look 100% like Rick Deckard's blaster. Deckard's blaster has its serial number which is different than mine. His is 5223, mine is 9000.
E1B8C73A-3041-411E-805F-99F961283E68.jpeg

Pretty cool, huh? Anyway, it's not the same and I'm not about to buff out the 9000 nor am I going to reject this rifle because those stamps are under the serial number instead of next to it.
Also, I'm going to want to shoot this gun somewhat regularly, and undoing a cylinder crane screw like Rich Coyle does (and the original prop guys did) every time I need to reload is going to drive me crazy. So, I need to change how that works. That's two pretty major things that will tell everyone it's not Deckard's when they see it, and there will be other differences as well for safety reasons. So, it can't be Rick Deckard's blaster unless they want to borrow it for Blade Runner 2: Electric Sheep Boogaloo. No, this will be mine. A real, working police issue 2019 model Steyr M44 pistol; the same kind Deckard used.
I will have to make decisions with safety being top priority. Then, it will come down to finances. I've managed to snag all the stuff for far less than I should've been able to, which sort of jump started this whole thing actually. But I don't have gobs of money laying around, so I can't afford to butcher the Steyr or the Bulldog. This is mostly a one chance type of deal.
I have a Plecter Labs Nano Biscotte that I think I can use to drive the LED in the grips, maybe play some quotes from Batty, Vangelis playing, who knows...sound is just an idea at this point.
Of course that could take up too much valuable space on and in the blaster too.
I will try to keep the wordiness down after this post so as to not bore you to death, but I want to represent as reasonably as possible, everything that has to and that has had to have been considered with attempting this build. I am also going to rename the thread now to be a little more descriptive, so my apologies if this makes it difficult to find for those of you whom have seen this thread pre-title change.
As it stands right now:
- I am still awaiting the laser module to arrive.
- spoudastis is rendering the sight rod for 3D printing.
- I had to return a barrel facing cutter because it was too small.
- I still need to get a butt cap machined.
- I'd like to get the frame around the Bulldog grip machined in steel or at the very least aluminum.
- a replacement bobbed hammer needs to arrive.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I may also request suggestions and opinions. Please do speak up. Even if it is something that you think is contrary to what I've stated here. Is my proposal too far off from the real prop? Should one simply go screen accurate or is some idealization alright? How far is too far? Do androids dream of electric sheep?
As always, thanks for checking this out.

Last edited:
This is going to be an awesome project, Andy. My $.02 is to drop the LED grips/sound fx for a different build. This is already going to be a real gun. It's gonna go bang, so no need for a little pew-pew from a tiny speaker :)

The laser sight sounds like a cool variation to me. Personalizing/idealizing is the way I'd go (and am going as I plan my build as well).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back