WIP Blade Runner: 2019 STEYR M44

It would be really sweet to get that cap in steel and thread it so that it screws into the receiver... It would be really cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's the finished Bulldog with the new barrel. Torque, flash gap, and lede all set. It is shown next to my other Blaster with the working Bulldog and Coyle upper receiver. I still have to bob the hammer. The pin, which is frame mounted, is left out for now. NewBulldog.jpg

BOLT.jpg

Somebody asked me to post a pic of the original Steyr SL .222 short action bolt. Here it is. Sadly, we only use the end cap and the handle based on current plans but I am trying to determine if there is a way to keep it intact. The bolt handle gets heated and bent to fit the contours of the blaster, as well.

A real Steyr receiver and the replica receiver made by Coyle. He's done a really nice job replicating the original.

The cylinder on the left is actually the cut barrel stub from my receiver. I'm hoping to make it into an end cap.

Real&ReplicaRCVRS.jpg

Last edited:
I always cry a little when someone takes a one of those gorgeous styer rifles out of the gun community. They are rare, and so well made. It's kind of a crime.

But then my complete and total geek love for the Blade Runner Blaster takes over and I just enjoy seeing the build. :) I always enjoy seeing these blasters made from real steel, and I'm always pretty jealous it's not me doing the building!

I'm also an avid gun guy who has many firearms/props in the safe. I think the hobbies can mingle and mix safely and responsibly without any problems at all. I do understand Dave's point of view though.

All that said, really looking forward to the progress pics. Hey, are you in Northeast Ohio by chance?

I always cry a little when someone takes a one of those gorgeous styer rifles out of the gun community. They are rare, and so well made. It's kind of a crime.

But then my complete and total geek love for the Blade Runner Blaster takes over and I just enjoy seeing the build. :) I always enjoy seeing these blasters made from real steel, and I'm always pretty jealous it's not me doing the building!

I'm also an avid gun guy who has many firearms/props in the safe. I think the hobbies can mingle and mix safely and responsibly without any problems at all. I do understand Dave's point of view though.

All that said, really looking forward to the progress pics. Hey, are you in Northeast Ohio by chance?

Being a firearms user, collector, lover and a licensed firearms dealer and gun builder I get what you say about taking a complete Steyr out of circulation and agree, it would be cause for some tears. Fortunately, I was offered the receiver with barrel stub and complete bolt assembly as shown. I did not have to destroy a complete rifle.

I'm on the West Coast (if your question was directed at me).

A real Steyr receiver and the replica receiver made by Coyle. He's done a really nice job replicating the original.

The cylinder on the left is actually the cut barrel stub from my receiver. I'm hoping to make it into an end cap.

View attachment 619325

eltee, that is a beautiful photo and description. It's very helpful man, showing the bottom of the receiver. That is going to be a lot of machining. I better eat my Wheaties!

Noeland, I agree with a lot of what Dave said too. I know these Steyrs are more rare than say an off the shelf AR-15, but they don't seem to be super rare...at least not since I've been tracking them. Still, they are very beautiful rifles, and extremely accurate. It will be a little bittersweet dismantling and altering it, but as you said, the end result will be more than enough of a positive to outweigh that bad part, to me anyway.

I actually am in Dayton which is in the Southwestern quadrant of Ohio. Are you in Ohio? Pennsylvania?

I Received my correct 90degree facing cutter for the Bulldog, so that will be started on today! I'm very excited to get this ball rolling!

What are you going to do first on the Bulldog?

The very first thing I intend to do is crown the new barrel which has not been installed on the Bulldog frame yet. I've got a set of .44 pilot bushings from Brownell's as well as a crowning tool.
The next thing to do after that will be disassembling the Bulldog, starting with removing the cylinder. However, I am going over a few alterations/additions to the crane and ejector rod assembly to allow me to lock the crane closed from the front of the Bulldog frame. This will also involve shortening the ejector rod portion that normally sticks out under and parallel to the barrel. The ejector rod is not going to work sticking out like that as the replacement barrel's outer diameter is greater than that of the original Bulldog barrel...i.e. then new barrel and the old ejector rod would be occupying the same space.
The protruding part of the ejector rod has to go in either case, but the real issue is that I am enjoying shooting the Bulldog so much, I am hesitant to dismantle it;)

Are you going to use the long "Weaver Scope" screw (perpendicular) to screw the crane closed, or are you working on a quick release of some sort?

Wow, awesome thread here. I had often wondered if anyone had made a functioning replica of this blaster.

I would love to do this myself someday, but I don't think I could bring myself to destroy the Styer (even to create such a great replica). None the less, I can't wait to see your build.

Are you going to use the long "Weaver Scope" screw (perpendicular) to screw the crane closed, or are you working on a quick release of some sort?

Regular screw as seen in the movie. Apparently the "Weaver" screw was a substitute post movie.

No need for a quick release, I just unscrew the crane and engage the cylinder release to open it up. I sometimes have to pull up the Steyr bolt handle to push it out a little via the side of the cylinder vs. pulling on the side plate or that laser pointer rod.

Wow, awesome thread here. I had often wondered if anyone had made a functioning replica of this blaster.

I would love to do this myself someday, but I don't think I could bring myself to destroy the Styer (even to create such a great replica). None the less, I can't wait to see your build.

I'm not going to lie, it is with pain that I will move forward on dismantling the Steyr. It shoots the way you would think an Austrian rifle would. It's very precise.

Amazing. Subscribed.

Thank you. Hopefully this won't end as a huge pile of twisted gun parts and regret haha.

Regular screw as seen in the movie. Apparently the "Weaver" screw was a substitute post movie.

No need for a quick release, I just unscrew the crane and engage the cylinder release to open it up. I sometimes have to pull up the Steyr bolt handle to push it out a little via the side of the cylinder vs. pulling on the side plate or that laser pointer rod.

I am probably going to use the Weaver knob on mine, even though it isn't screen accurate. It just depends on how AFI this ends up looking. My current Weaver knob is a bit worn and used.

My design plans for a quick release are being fuddled by the curvature on the front of the BD frame. I thought I could make a perpendicular extension to the crane out of steel, with a release operated by the binding post, but that frame curvature would make the designing and machining hellish. I want to avoid screwing the crane closed if possible, but that idea may need to be retired.

Last edited:
Even though the screw is accurate, I prefer the weaver knob since it seems more functional in-universe.

I also think you shouldn't feel bad about taking apart the rifle. You're honoring another part of its history! To me that's just as exceptional as anything else it has going for it. If Steyr had any sense they'd embrace the lineage and release a limited edition upper just for us nut-cases [emoji56]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Steyr SL is a beautiful, accurate rifle but you can still find them for sale. You can easily find the newer, improved Steyr rifles if you aren't locked into the SL.

How many shooting Bladerunner Blasters are there in the world? How many with the Steyr upper? :) Your blaster will be so rare as to probably be one of maybe under 50 (less?) in the whole world.

After looking at some closeup pics of the actual prop I am becoming more convinced that the end cap of the Steyr is made out of the barrel stub. The hole where that mysterious pointed rod comes out of, which many mistakenly believe is the rifle's firing pin, was photographed with a ruler next to it and it calculates to just about .222 caliber or about 6mm which the ruler showed it to be. Since the barrel cutoff is threaded for the receiver I'm going to try to use it for my end cap. LOTS of lathe and mill work ahead for this one little end cap.

SO, if you are one of those who have a Steyr waiting to be dismantled for use in a blaster do not destroy the receiver end of the barrel. Thanks to Rich Coyle's photos of the original prop I MAY (emphasis, MAY) have found out how they made the end cap. Even if my theory is unfounded, I will still try to make my end cap out of that stub anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back